Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | I paint miniatures with the tears of my enemies! An Oriskany / UncleJimmy Weekender

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

I paint miniatures with the tears of my enemies! An Oriskany / UncleJimmy Weekender (234 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image oriskany11898p said 9 months ago:

Okay, everyone! In an effort to keep this great tradition going, I’ll “do my pit for King and Country” and start the weekend’s UncleJimmy Thread!

BTW – has anyone heard from @unclejimmy lately? He posted once a few weeks ago and said he was starting to feel better . . .

Okay, no RPG this time (We’ll definitely be doing that again sometime, but separate from the UJWE thread so nothing / no one gets buried). For now I’ll stick with the more conventional approach . . .

You all know the “roolz” – I won’t copy-paste them here.

Meanwhile, for the UJWE traditionalists out there . . . :D

QUESTIONS:

1) What movies get you in the mood to play wargames?

2) What music gets you in the mood to play wargames?

3) Is there a certain wargaming food or drink you and your group enjoy? Keep Cheetoh dust off my miniatures!

4) Has wargaming ever positively influenced your day job, or vice-versa (e.g., a gaming skill or idea or strategy really helped solve a problem at work)?

5) What “wargaming habit” pisses you off the most? People putting drinks on the table, hitting miniatures with dice, checking their phone during their turn, etc.

This weekend, points WILL be awarded (most awards from 5-10 points), and will I’ll be tracking them as they accrue. There will be a winner this week, as well as a 1st and 2nd runner up. We will track the scores and announce the winners the way we used to, and even have something of a “bragging rights” prize, as awarded below:

Battle of the Chosin Reservoir, November 27 to December 13, 1950 – Semper Fi USMC
    Historical Editor – Beasts of War
  • Avatar Image seldon91726p said 9 months ago:

Nice one @oriskany! I’ll post properly later on.

Nice job, @seldon9 – with the . . .

Well done!

• Avatar Image davebpg190p said 9 months ago:

Jim steps up to the plate… the crowd waits breathlessly for a home run…

Lots of movies get me in the mood for gaming. Any war movie generally puts me in the mood for the relevant FOW period, Star wars for X-wing, Aliens for… well Aliens! etc etc. There are some seriously cool you tube movies out there. Some of my favs include:

Babylon 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQ2qI6gciU

Star wars: https://vimeo.com/87116307

Music? Now your talking! Rolling stones Paint it black (FOW Nam).

Pacific rim sound track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso) & Star ship troopers Klendathu drop (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk) are quite simply must haves when gearing up for Battle Tech or 40K.

Generally while gaming though we listen to Airbourne, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Darkness, Rolling Stones, Ale Storm (thanks to @Wolfch for that one), anything that gets is going and atmos to the game we are playing really.

Gaming food is traditionally anything unhealthy with a high sugar content although that is going to have to change…. Beer however will always be the beverage of choice!

Wargaming helps me get through almost every day at work lol. Be working out what is the most efficient order to build / spray / paint minis in my head while staring at the screen, I can waste up to an hour a day pretending to be reading a spread sheet lmao.

I couldn’t really think of any habits that really get to me. I suppose its irritating when a player doesn’t know their own army and makes a huge U turn 2/3 way through the game… “Oh wait I should have been hitting you on a 4+ not a 3+ for the last 5 turns”…… bit late now isn’t it.

• Avatar Image caladors4878p said 9 months ago:

I don’t really have any movies that get me in the mood, at least none spring to mind, there is, the closest there is video games, or video game cut scenes mainly mass effect. Seeing the fleets come in and those massive battles in space.

Rock opera, Queen, the classics or music like Gregorian musical fusion.

3) Is there a certain wargaming food or drink you and your group enjoy? Keep Cheetoh dust off my miniatures!

Cheese and crackers, cold meats, and platter stuff with friends.

4) Has wargaming ever positively influenced your day job, or vice-versa (e.g., a gaming skill or idea or strategy really helped solve a problem at work)?

I worked for the Evil Empire at one time so I would say yes ha ha

5) What “wargaming habit” pisses you off the most? People putting drinks on the table, hitting miniatures with dice, checking their phone during their turn, etc.

“Yeah- but if” Yeah but if I had of just gotten one six- Yeah but if I have gotten my- Yeah but I didn’t get my-

You lost dude, say good game and challange them again or don’t, don’t endless make excuses… please.

PLEDGE

Finally get the lights in the tiles, and actually take some pictures

Awesome! We’re off and running for another great weekend. Lemme post a few hobby pics and then . . . replies! :D

Started work on a pair of Bo-105P antitank hunterkillers for my Bundeswehr Team Yankee force. Gotta have that air support, especially since my Team Yankee boot camp army came with SIX freakin’ Hinds! :D :D :D

oriskany_bundeswehr_pah_01.jpg
    oriskany_bundeswehr_pah_02.jpg
    oriskany_bundeswehr_pah_03.jpg
  • Avatar Image mwcannon513p said 9 months ago:

Historical movies – Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, Jerusalem, The Longest Day, A Bridge too Far, Cromwell, Braveheart (yes, inaccurate as a newspaper but…)

Generally not music. I listen to audiobooks when I paint and that fires up my engines to do wargames – I’m listening to Gettysburg on my Echo Dot and books on Eisenhower, Bradly, Patton on my Kindle right now

Someone always brings Twizzlers to our games, the red ones go fast, the black ones not so much. I would prefer plates of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower myself… pfffttt! Where’s the doughnuts! Everyone also seems to have soda available, too. Since this is not NYC we can get the large soda refills at convenience stores and drink for hours. Take that Mayor Bloomberg!

I used to teach military history so it made my studies easier, but as a professional officer it made me just appear quirky and nerdy

Rolling dice and slamming them into my painted figs, or picking bases up by flagpoles

My interests – Historicals, Deadzone, Kings of War, SotR, Team Yankee, Zombies, 40K
    Instagram – OrdoPigmentum
    MiniatureWars.com Website

@davebpg – Awesome! Welcome back to the thread!

1) – Damn, that Battle of Endor movie is awesome!

2) – I agree Paint it Black is great for Vietnam. I also like Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I also enjoy the Pacific Rim Soundtrack, it definitely gets you fired up. You mention BattleTech – have you heard any of Timothy Seals work? Nothing beats his theme for Timberwolf / Mad Cats . . . when you’re putting those on the table!

3) I enjoy unhealthy gaming food, my only other prerequisite is it has to be “neat” – pizza, chips, or other food that leaves grease on the fingers can be tough on miniatures or counters. We used to drink high quantities of “battlebrew,” Southern Comfort mixed with Mountain Dew (horrible, right?) but suffice it to say the strategies by the end of the game were becoming a bit … unconventional. :D

Gaming food is traditionally anything unhealthy with a high sugar content although that is going to have to change…. Beer however will always be the beverage of choice!

4) Awesome, that reminds of me of the main character in “Office Space” – “Normally I just come in to work and kind of zone out for an hour or so . . .” :D

5) Gaming habits – see, I thought you were gonna come back with something like . . . “you know what really drives me up a wall? When my opponent rushes to the center of, say . . . a desert board . . . occupies a series of buildings, and then just “Alamos” the hell out of the rest of the game and doesn’t let me near the objective!” :D :D

Welcome, @caladors ! :D

1) Can’t argue with the cinematic value of some of those cut scenes. :D

2) Agree on Queen, sometimes their recordings have a very powerful majesty to them.

3) Cheese and cold meat are a great solution, we sometimes get the pre-made platters from the supermarket because they come with the toothpicks in small cubes of meat or cheese (or sometimes . . . *gasp* fruit) – so nothing gets on the fingers. I know, I keep harping on that . . .

4) Evil Empire, nice. You used to work for the 1980s Soviet Union? KGB or Politburo? (just kidding) :D :D :D

5) I know what you mean. I think people sometimes feel a need to rationalize why they lost a given game. I tend to ramble a little after a lost game, but usually trying to identify my mistakes (as opposed to finding excuses). I do it out loud sometimes in hope my opponents will verify some of my theories, but they’re usually too smart for that. “We’re not helping you formulate your strategy for the next game, man. Nice try!” :D

Thanks, @mwcannon ! :D

1) Oh man, Gettysburg is one of my favorite movies! Make fun of the beards all you want, if that’s the biggest problem people can find in a movie this awesome? The book “Killer Angels” of course, is even better.

2) interesting about the audiobooks. For painting / building I usually listen to documentaries. Not quite audiobooks, but not quite movies either.

3) Good grief, that “no supersized drinks in NYC” thing is still going on? :D

4) Wow, wargaming made you appear quirky and nerdy? This may be an officer vs. enlisted thing, because as a Marine Corps NCO we had gaming freakin’ EVERYWHERE, and it was not “looked down” upon. And not just military gaming, sci-fi and fantasy too (of course, back in those days “Fantasy” gaming was AD&D 2nd Edition, DragonQuest, and “Stormbringer” RPG, based on Michael Moorcock’s Elric novels.

5) I agree, I wish people would roll dice off the table (we usually have a tray for that) – and when you pick up the tank, DON’T do it by the turret-mounted machine gun or it might . . . *SNAP* . . . too late. Thanks. :(

• Avatar Image davebpg190p said 9 months ago:

5) Gaming habits – see, I thought you were gonna come back with something like . . . “you know what really drives me up a wall? When my opponent rushes to the center of, say . . . a desert board . . . occupies a series of buildings, and then just “Alamos” the hell out of the rest of the game and doesn’t let me near the objective!” :D :D

You know Florida is not so far away that I cant find my way too you inside of 24 hours for a good slap! lol Or at least a good kicking on the table top :-)

Hey, seriously, dude . . . we have two months of nice tourist weather left here. If you can get over here, I’ll pay for the hotel. :D Challenge or no challenge, you’re always welcome!

oriskany-ujwe-01.jpg
  • Avatar Image mwcannon513p said 9 months ago:

@oriskany I’d watch Gettysburg just to see the scene where Turner gets shot! ;-)

@mwcannon – I remember that. :) That was right after Armistead’s classic moment of the sword through the hat …

Virginians! With me! WHO WILL COME WITH ME??

Here we go, starting at around 00:40 … Why Gettysbus is always better than Waterloo. :)

• Avatar Image querion1492p said 9 months ago:

Thanks for taking the lead again @oriskany.

(1) It depends on the movie and genre. For example TheLast Samurai and some japanese samurai movies always manage to get me into the mood for a bit of wargaming in that setting. Several Anime get me in the mood for Infinity. Stuff like Babylon 5 gets me into the mood for some sci-fi fleet battles. And the Lord of the Ringts triology always makes me want to play some fantasy battles. But in general it’s easy to inspire me to do more gaming … problem with that is: most often i don’t have the time of oponents at these moments ;)
    But the latest example was Kong … driving me into scenario building.

(2) music usualy doesn’t get me into the mood to start gaming, but it’s always in the background during games, as long as it doesn’t distract one of the players.

(3) noramly we don’t eat at our gaming table, but very often we take a food break between games or turns, order some pizza and watch videos while eating.

(4) sadly no … i wish it would happen. But at least work in spring and autumn during planting seasons allows my mind to wander around and come back with lots and lots of ideas for wargaming ;)

(5) putting drinks on the table is a big no go for me after someone managed to knock his drink over and drench a fine table and miniatures of several players. And just someone who doesn’t handle miniatures of other people with care …thad really makes me mad.

My pledge this weekend … i still need to decide what i want to paint. It will be Infinity again after i finished the presents. I’m just not sure what in Infinity it will be, either some of my Japanese for Yu Jing, some Freaks for my Nomads or some Knights for PanO … hopefully i will know what i want to paint when i have the time to start painting.

A bit of music, this one got stuck in my head again thanks to Kong:

And a random run through my playlist came up with these:

and something completly different and modern, but i like this song:

the combination of this song and the launch trailer for mass effect andromeda gave me goosebumps like hell.