Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | I’m late, I’m late for a very important…Hobby Weekender.

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 28 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

I’m late, I’m late for a very important…Hobby Weekender. (58 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image fishman1455p said 2 weeks ago:

Welcome to the Hobby Weekender for this week.

First off, allow me to apologise for it being late. I got distracted by @warzan dying of laughter and needing a reboot and all the other silliness of HobbyNight Live and have only just got back to things. If you missed the hobbynight feed, you have to watch it, was a brilliant time and fun was had by all. Hijacked by bots, people dying on the floor (well, one) and discussion of burns and other scarring wounds. And laughter, lots and lots of laughter. And then some more. From one person in particular. Oh, and a tree.

Anyway, enough of that. Come on in, pull up a pew, put your feet up and crack that hobby case wide open, it is time for a pledge and some answers!

If you were a bird, what sort would you like to be and why?

When it comes to terrain are you resin, plastic, mdf, entirely scratch build from cardboard, foam and other “rubbish”? In other words, what is your preferred medium?

Are you intending to get into 3d Printing for terrain and models? Why/not?

Who is your favourite comedian? Why?

Who got you into gaming/modelling?

That’ll do for the questions.

We expect heaps of music, hobby and some humour in the form of cartoons! Make me laugh! Extra points…

As to points, whose counting. Full points to @biggabum for surviving and getting back to us about his horrific ordeal last week, so the easy winner is @biggabum.

Get well soon mate, but to give you a bit of help along the way:-

No dicks allowed is what the sign on the door reads. No politics or religion and no single posts please. This is not a dictatorial and not terribly strictly policed, but if you are a dick or if the conversation gets out of hand, you will face the ire…

And whilst you are painting your stuff, why not put it into the WAYPN thread, run by @caladors. He will critique your work and give fair and measured feed back. One day I am going to set up a sockpuppet account and put up some really badly painted minis which I am going to be really proud of just to see him have apoplexy. But until I do, why not feed him your work and keep him happy?

Those who have been around before, welcome back, those who are new, welcome, please come back regularly. And meantime, remember, the purpose is to have fun.

And if you are in the path of Irma, stay safe.

winner.jpg
  • Avatar Image evilstu451p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Hey @fishman thanks for hosting. Agree, @biggabum hands down winner for this week :) Hope you’re pulling up OK.

Yeah, can’t quite explain what happened at the end of HNL. Was hysterical to watch. Just hope @caeser has visibility for the obvious cartoon… :)

Yes recovering from a late night and early morning (HNL) divided by a very poor night’s sleep so not sure how effective I will be hobby-wise (or how coherent I’ll be in the forums so apologies in advance…).

Pledge will be to push on with the projects I listed in the HNL forum, namely finish my Gravedigger, some scratchbuilt buildings and hopefully clean up some of the 3DP stuff and maybe hit with a basecoat. At the time of writing I have all the foam bits carved, engraved and textured – next bit will be to coat in black poster paint and then colour up from there. each building will be getting additional foamcore floors to mix up the height a bit.

Questions:

I’m inclined to say a magpie as they are intelligent, have personality and I like the way they sing as the sun comes up.

When it comes to terrain are you resin, plastic, mdf, entirely scratch build from cardboard, foam and other “rubbish”? In other words, what is your preferred medium?

All the above, except maybe resin. Although I have used resin elements in my terrain before. Zealot miniatures dungeon doors look great on the front of fantasy/medieval buildings. Resin buildings are heartbreakingly beautiful but I personally can’t justify the cost for my gaming purposes. For scratchbuilding my main go-to elements are foam for stone or brickwork, foamcore for timber buildings and then coffee stirrers, pushpins and whatever I can grab to add the detail. Have a few of the 4ground kits and they are nice too. Even the dirt cheap old timber framed cottage turns out nice with a little love and attention.

For terrain, already on it. for models, don’t think we’re quite there yet unless you want to drop serious money into a printer. I think where these things will come in to their own from a hobby perspective will be printing elements to add to/enhance scratchbuilt terrain. I’m hatching a plan to learn to design window frames that I can just print and glue on to buildings so that they can have a consistent appearance. Doors, chimneys, that sort of thing would all work too.

Tough call. I’m tempted to say Dylan Moran but I’ll always have a soft spot for Billy Connolly. Moran is just simultaneously so bleak and insightful. Something about that combination just strikes me the right way. A friend of mine nearly went in to early labour from watching one of his DVD’s, true story.

Really can’t remember. did scale modelling as a kid, not sure what got me started on that. gaming, I picked up a copy of WHFB 5th ed to get minis to paint just for something to unwind with and kind of got hooked from there…

@caladors, if you’re reading hope your Aussie road trip is going well.

mmfr.jpg
  • Avatar Image biggabum2313p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Good Morning, 3 A.M here in Good Old Blighty and Matty’s up to his wandering ways again, so here I am. @fishman thanks for running this again and thanks for the accolade.

I’m actually feeling OK now, up and about, doing my daily walk and not having any pain (although still a slight sting when I pee but I won’t tell you that).

@mage my record still stands at 3 days, I managed to p*ss the wife off on Thursday so it was the Doghouse for me :-D Actually i’m quite chuffed, I thought the op had taken away my ability to irritate people :-D

So with me back to normal (apart from being unable to lift stuff) Matty and Chris have got the 4×4 board out for me and the pledge this week is going to be a game of Warmachine.

Music this week has been a bit limited for obvious reasons but did get some Iron Maiden in last night (Number ofThe Beast) and Kiss (Destroyer),

Right on to the questions:

1) Mmmmm probably an Ostrich… an old Knackered Ostrich. Why? sometimes I have the habit of burying my head in the sand, I have the silliest run you have ever seen, and yes, you guessed it, the bloody things don’t fly :-D

2) Another good one. I’m not a great scratch builder although I do have a few Buildings I’ve made myself. I dont have any Resin terrain at all. I have a few MDF Buildings for WWX which I like, and some Plastic stuff, which I like. I thinlk for convenience, detail and realism I would have to say the Plastic stuff is my favourite.

3) I would love a 3D printer, unfortunately I’m not very technical and I dont really do enough modelling to justify the cost. Maybe one day when they are a lot cheaper, but for now i’m out.

4) I dont really have a favourite modern comedian, but the older Jasper Carrot stuff still makes me laugh.

5) Actually the Wife, although she isnt a gamer Herself. She was struggling to find me a Birthday Present, she didnt want to get me the usual stuff (After Shave, Socks n all that) because I still had loads from Christmas (My Birthdays in January), so she came across a game she thought I might like, Battle Masters. It was an M and B game that used Citadel Miniatures (a watered down version of Fantasy Battle really). We played that for ages and then I decided I wanted to make the Armies in the box bigger and headed into town to the local Hobby Shop. The owner didnt have the expansion set I wanted but showed me a similar game called Warhammer, and I was hooked.

I will have a look for some cartoons later.

@evilstu Thanks mate i’m actually feeling quite good now (apart from the silly hour).

@caladors I’m with @evilstu , hope your drive is going well. Kudo’s to you Sir.

• Avatar Image caladors4413p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Alright, guys, I am safe and well and have travelled roughly 1,000 kilometres not as cool as a 1,000 miles but it will do pig.

So I have had to deal with some interesting characters along the way.

A suicidal kangaroo, who was on the otherside of the road but as I started to pass screamed I CAN’T TAKE IT ANY MORE! and attempted to take out my car. It’s all good though ethier it was unsuccessful or resulted it only hitting a back tire :/

So I am currently in Dubbo after a bit of a sleep I have awoken to check stuff out on this. I may take a bit of a longer rest here, I had a hot shower.

So human wise, there was a Canadian one she was nice we talked about hockey.
    A flock of drunks, who want me to go their place, a drunk who wanted me to take him home, a blue person who wasn’t pleased due to my fast, there were no fast signs I didn’t think I was being fast, but upon learning of my quest and bragging about how the only first person shoot he knows is the shooting range he let me go. A vendor pointed me to another vendor breakfast and then a quest for food.

All of this done and I have connected to the magical either through which I commune with you now.

Oh and @fishman it has already been done, I think I said something like it’s a work in progress or something to those lines. Some people are bad painters ha ha but I man so long as people want to get better, have a goal to put paint on models who am I to judge, you will notice when people talk about like banging models out I take a very different tack to someone like @brushtroke who does feature models.

Thanks @biggabum and @evilstu I am glad to know I have some people rooting for me ha ha :D

An eagle or a hawk without a doubt.
    Winged death, knocking wing gliders out of thier purches, attacking aerolights.

I would drop the remains of drones at cop shops and just watch peoples reactions.

Even if I am not me have you guys see those things kill? Holy molly!
    I would get a video to link if the connection was decent here.

Plastic, as much as I hate the level of detail on the GW stuff and trust me I do, they put way too much detail into terrain. But when it comes to making my own, I most like to cry, and to drink, which numbs the pain. You wouldn’t think terrian would say something like ‘every moment I live is agony, please father release me from this world’

uhhh

Yes? No… Defiantly no. yes? Ohhhh maybe!

So there are some phenomenal scupts I think @fishman showed one off for a gothic castle/cause way which looked so good it looked like how 40k building should look. Unforunately I can’t look at as much stuff as I would like.

Bill Burr, I was going to say Joe Rogan, but defiantly Billy Burr, his a man after my own heart. Trying to make sense of this world. WHY DON’T STARLIN KILLS COUNT? His like the Micheal Jordian of Gendocide, why doesn’t his kills count? Everyone is like Hitler this and Hitler that how come his don’t count his put in bigger numbers over about the same time period, how come they don’t count. I don’t… I don’t Know.
    But will someone please give me THE F*!&ing ANSWER!

You ever thinking how smart gorrillas are?

1 to 100 in under a second old Billy.
    My other one was Joe Rogan

My cousin I think?

QUEST

I SIR CALADOR OF THE LOT BEASTINGTON, HERE BY PLEDGE I SHALL GO STREIGHT AND TRUE TOWARDS MY MY QUEST MOST HOLY AND COMPLETE FOR GOD AND COUNTRY. GOD SAVE @WARZAN AND GOD BLESS BEASTINGTON!

Or I will complete my road trip one of the two.

Alright guys I may be incommunicato for a while after this I am going to try and stick around for just a little while to communicate :D
    And then I will be off later :)

• Avatar Image nogbadthebad41p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Given a poor run of being able get some hobby achieved, I’ve kept away from here ashamed and disappointed, however it’s 5:49 in the am, I didn’t come to bed until around 2:30, and the alarm is set 7 so I can take wife/child/dog on holiday for a week to Wales and the thanks to aforementioned child am now AWAKE… am guessing from a scan of those of you posting before me this is small sh*t the grand scheme of things but feel like stropping like an emo teenager….

Anyhoo answers –

Bird – Owl as I too often get mistaken for something vaguely intelligent

Terrain – this is one part of my lead pile that is surprisingly light but I given my innate laziness it would always be a manufactured item. I recently bought some 10mm scale 3D printed items and was v.happy with results

3D printing – no I piss my wife off more than enough with random bits of plastic already without making my own!

Comedian – far to many to narrow down as depends on mood… dara o’ rain, Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr, Franky Boyle, Al Murray, Billy Connolly, Doc Brown (the dude raps about tea!), Bill Bailey and there are more!

The accused – my Dad and Grandad. If Dad wanted to go to colours, warfare or even salute back when it was in Kensington he’s often had to make me along and grandad helped me with my first scale models… from there my soul was set.

Not sure how to add music but to add to the mix…
    The wurzels – Combine harvester as I am a sadist and love the groans when I play this anywhere
    John Lee Hooker – One Burbon, One Scotch and One beer
    Dire Straits – Boom like that
    Muppets Treasure Island – shiver my timbers/cabin fever/Professional pirate/boomshakalaka (watched this last weekend and had these stuck in my head since!)

Given a poor run of being able get some hobby achieved, I’ve kept away from here ashamed and disappointed, however it’s 5:49 in the am, I didn’t come to bed until around 2:30, and the alarm is set 7 so I can take wife/child/dog on holiday for a week to Wales and the thanks to aforementioned child am now AWAKE… am guessing from a scan of those of you posting before me this is small sh*t the grand scheme of things but feel like stropping like an emo teenager….

Anyhoo answers –

Bird – Owl as I too often get mistaken for something vaguely intelligent

Terrain – this is one part of my lead pile that is surprisingly light but I given my innate laziness it would always be a manufactured item. I recently bought some 10mm scale 3D printed items and was v.happy with results

3D printing – no I piss my wife off more than enough with random bits of plastic already without making my own!

Comedian – far to many to narrow down as depends on mood… dara o’ rain, Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr, Franky Boyle, Al Murray, Billy Connolly, Doc Brown (the dude raps about tea!), Bill Bailey and there are more!

The accused – my Dad and Grandad. If Dad wanted to go to colours, warfare or even salute back when it was in Kensington he’s often had to make me along and grandad helped me with my first scale models… from there my soul was set.

Not sure how to add music but to add to the mix…
    The wurzels – Combine harvester as I am a sadist and love the groans when I play this anywhere
    John Lee Hooker – One Burbon, One Scotch and One beer
    Dire Straits – Boom like that
    Muppets Treasure Island – shiver my timbers/cabin fever/Professional pirate/boomshakalaka (watched this last weekend and had these stuck in my head since!)

Whoops, seem to have posted twice the bull as normal…

@nogbadthebad have a good Holiday Sir.

@caladors No problem mate glad to see you’re ok, despite suicidal Kangeroos.

• Avatar Image evilstu451p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

@biggabum glad to hear you are feeling better :)

@caladors yes kangaroos are not intelligent creatures. Have cleaned a couple up myself… Glad you got out of it unscathed. And found the Breakfast of Destiny. Best of luck on the remainder of your epic quest.

@nogbadthebad hope you have an awesome trip!

Actually made a fair bit of progress today. First up, got the foam components progressed to the undercoated stage. Next, managed to clean and undercoat the printed terrain I have been turning out over the last few weeks. (ran out of undercoat at this point).

Looks like enough for a reasonable sized town as it stands, so quite pleased. Thinking of switching to craft paints to paint this lot – could get expensive using mini paints.

Also got my Gravedigger to the ‘almost finished’ point – I just want to do a little more work on his tome then going to call him done (Unless I notice more mistakes when this picture uploads…)

Finally a couple of weekends ago was talking about Plastic Soldier’s Dirt Brown spray. Here’s how it looks.

Before:

After:

It does just enough to age/weather/dirty a building without losing the underlying colour. As I said, I spray this on pretty much all my terrain to try and unify things a little.

Tomorrow will try and tidy up the Gravedigger and take some better photos, then move on to building the upper floors for the scratchbuilt buildings.

Going to go and do something mindless for the rest of the evening and hopefully catch up on sleep, hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

img_0966a.jpg
    img_0970a.jpg
    img_0979a.jpg
    img_0971a.jpg
    img_0973a.jpg

Thanks guys for the best wishes it is good to know people are thinking of you :)

I am about to start the last leg of this journey before I get the fabled city.

Alright guys, I will leave you with pictures of my journey thus far, there was this priest guy and I have no idea why she was dancing for him I mean we will have word, but also I think perhaps the gas mask was not the best tool to meet the family with but she kept saying they were toxic so you know perhaps I took things a little to literally anyway you can see the film for yourselves.

Oh and thanks, director who cut it all together.

• Avatar Image fishman1455p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

I will return soon, just have to duck out to a Rick and Morty trivia night with my son and his mates. I am the Rick to their Morty ;) I have watched it all, but it kinda washed over without leaving an impression…so useless I will be!

• Avatar Image nodri150p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

@fishman – Thanks again for hosting. No worries about being late. It seems I am too. It’s amazing how much a little bit of overtime can mess with the hobby schedule.

You’ve got me curious about this week’s hobby night live, given your mention of hysterical laughter and an infusion of bots. Sounds like fun, but it’ll have to wait until Monday night (when my weekend begins).

@biggabum – I hope your recovery is a speedy one. Congrats on winning last week’s thread!

@caladors & @fishman – I’ll start posting in the WAYPN thread once the buildings are done. The current project is just too cumbersome to share as much as I’d like. It’s also practice for a number of techniques that I’ve wanted to learn for awhile (oil paints being at the top of that list), and I don’t see much value in feedback on experiments that are this rudimentary. Once the buildings are done, I’ll start applying what I’ve learned to the city’s inhabitants (it’s always bothered me that wargames are generally devoid of civilians) and some other details. At that point the scale and quantity of models will drop significantly, so sharing more will become much more practical.

@evilstu – You’re darn right magpies are smart! I’ve seen them hunt garden snakes in teams, with one pulling it by the tail while the other pecks at it’s head furiously. Then they tear it apart and eat it like a twisted version of that spaghetti scene from Lady & the Tramp.

Loving the terrain! Can’t wait to see it painted!

@caladors again – Good luck on the road trip. 620 miles is still a decent enough drive, even if 1000 km does sound longer. Glad you dodged the bullet regarding the suicidal kangaroo. Here there are elk that will walk out in front of your car. May as well drive into a wall.

@nogbadthebad – To add videos, open it in youtube. Then click the Share button under the video and copy it into your post. Easy as that. Glad you’re getting some hobby in!

On to the questions…

-Hummingbird. Our energy levels match nicely.

-My preferred medium is anything that can be run through the band saw. If I had the time, I’d make a terrain variant of the Will It Blend? youtube channel called Will it Band? Thrift stores, hardware stores, and yard sales offer so much creative potential when it comes to terrain. Great fun!

-Yes and no. I’ve made myself a promise that I’ll finish off most of my current unpainted stuff before I do that though (which is quite the pile, hence the “and no” portion of my answer). There’s enough hobby stuff to keep me busy as it is, and by the time I get done the price of a good 3d printer will have come down a bit while the quality has gone up.

-George Carlin. His direct and sarcastic approach to comedy made me laugh the way no other comedian has.

- Short answer: A friend at work.
    - Less Short Answer: Some years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to work on cars in my spare time, so I bought a 1974 Jeep CJ5. Before I could get the wiring done, it caught fire with me inside of it (thankfully it had no doors or roof, so escape was easy). I went to work that night and informed everyone that I needed a new hobby, because obviously the car thing was not gonna work out. One guy was an avid Flames of War player, and he knew that I was a history nerd with a fine arts background. He let me paint a few models and play a few games and I was hooked.

‘cus I’m still on an electro swing kick…

“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.”
    -Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Avatar Image rayzryr746p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Good Weekender Everybody!

Cheers @fishman for getting things going again… late is relative (or some other profound statement). :-D

I will have to go back and watch HNL, having to get up to go to work about the same time as it starts makes it a little tricky to join in live…

The pledge will be more Dark Angels!
    I’m working my way through the Dark Vengeance set… a little late I suppose but oh well.

Last night:

Dark Angels September 2017 WIP 11

Tonight:

Dark Angels September 2017 WIP 12

The young one went to sleep early, not feeling well. I sat and watched the Saturday Weekender while I worked on those guys.

Later this week will be DnD 5e night. Once again the DM has come to me with an idea… though it’ll cost my character almost all his gold… 800gp worth for a one-time trick… more later ;-)

Answers!

What bird?
    A tricky question for me to answer! Emus are large and can potentially mess you up… they are one of the nearest reminders that birds evolved from the dinosaurs. Large, three toed prehistoric monsters…

What material for terrain?
    Gimme some foam board, cardboard and maybe a bit of plastic. I’ll use foam packaging too, bits of old backing foam from inside the blister that the miniatures came in. Ice cream tubs, yoghurt pots, plastic cups, I’ve used all of them.
    I’m considering that when I get my own space I’ll do some paper craft terrain to get gaming tables started quickly, then make better after.
    Resin is probably fine, but expensive for terrain. I’ve not used MDF of any of the laser cut terrain out there. I have a plastic tower that I won a couple of years ago here on BoW, though I’ve yet to assemble it.
    I’ve mostly been scratch-built for my terrain :-)

3D printing?
    Hells Yeah!
    For terrain, totally! Again, when I have my own place, my own space. In the town where I will be living there is a bit of a “Maker lab” group… they’re into 3D printing, design, wood and metal work, all those interesting science-arts. I’ll be down there regularly I hope!

Favourite Comedian?
    Tough one again… I’ve only seen one live: Billy Connolly. He’ll have to count I suppose… though this feels like a cop-out answer.
    I really enjoy Wil Anderson whenever he is on a show, radio or TV. His stand up is pretty good. He has a way of cutting through the BS.
    Some of the others have thrown some names in, all superb comics.

Who got me into gaming?
    Hahahaha! It was a conspiracy it tells ya! It was ordained! A fore-gone conclusion!
    Well maybe not. But seriously, who didn’t?
    I’m fairly sure my Dad got into it a bit. He has always been a fantasy/ sci-fi reader. In a stash of stuff as a young ‘un I found parts of some kind of old school fantasy game with large hexagonal, double-sided terrain tiles and many cardboard tokens. There were character cards too… I only remember one labelled the Warlock, though I don’t remember the art clearly. It was old school dark fantasy, not traditional high-fantasy.
    I had an uncle on my mothers side who was very much into gaming, her youngest brother, and only 7 years older than me. Big influence.
    My eldest cousin on my fathers side. Also very much into gaming at a younger age. He was one of the first people I played Magic with. Him, and a couple of his mates.
    Added to that gifts of Hero Quest and Space Crusade, PC games that my cousins, various uncles and Dad would play (like Knight Orc – epic text adventure with added images, your character is… an orc). I could go on…
    Anyway…

Tl;dr the combined forces of my family :-D

I’ve blathered enough…
    I shall return tomorrow, with music and socialise. Now, sleep!

One day all the armies will be painted… one day.