Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | I’m late, I’m late for a very important…Hobby Weekender.

Beasts of War Homepage

Grab your Aristeia Box Today - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

I’m late, I’m late for a very important…Hobby Weekender. (58 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image mage5345p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

This arrived today

View post on imgur.com

winner.jpg
  • Avatar Image caladors4770p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@fishman it wasn’t a real question regarding communism, I try to keep no politics like it says on the box, that was more or less a transcript from what Billy Burr says in his latest netflix special.

@all

First off thanks for the support. it has been interesting down here, and I won’t say to much other than the highs have been high and the lowes have been low and WHY THE F*!& don’t you people sign anything ROAD SIGNS ARE A THING VICTORIA, COME INTO THE 21st CENTURY!
    Not that I am upset at all by that…

Oh and we have been having fun I should say

• Avatar Image fishman1506p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@mage okay, now I expect to see scratch build versions of every monster in that manual, painted and based of course. And you have until next Weekender ;)

@caladors pleased to hear things are going well.

I realised it was part of the Bill Burr answer, but it is something I have been hearing a lot lately, and it is an interesting question to ponder, politics aside. Both regimes and both people are long gone, so it should not be political anymore than pondering why everyone recognises Sparta were great soldiers, but not Thebes, which overthrew Sparta.It should remain in the annals of history, not be re-birthed to spawn new mischief.

Okay I am back! So, I wasn’t productive much, due to busyness. Dogs, housework, training, work and such gave me some time to finish Deathstroke and Ravager. Thoughts? They need a coat of varnish and some grass. I’m calling them more or less finished.

View post on imgur.com

Jeez thread is quiet.

@fishman Hold my beer.

• Avatar Image rayzryr843p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Huh. Thought I posted a reply last night. Turns out I didn’t…

@mage Monster Manual: Niiiiicceee!
    Whenever our DM Steve opens that, we know something big is coming…
    Deathstroke and Ravager are looking great!

@fishman well, as long as you are having fun!

One day all the armies will be painted… one day.
  • Avatar Image evilstu660p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@rayzryr steady progress on the DA’s, good to see.

@mage many hours of happy reading ahead then :) I’m not sure how they worked out the CR’s in this edition but just a head’s up that they seem a bit inconsistent so might be worth double checking before you pitch something at your players to make sure it’s not overpowered (that said though, it seems really hard to accidentally kill players in 5th edition). Minis look great, esp. Deathstroke.

@caladors glad to hear that the good bits are good. And the tautological responses are apparently, tautological. Sorry I may need to work on that… Up for a return leg soon or will you be in Victoria for a bit?

@fishman remember seeing a post where someone had worked through the MM and made sculpts of each creature. Will see if I can track it down.

@all have some time off next week so happy to host the next weekender if people are OK with that?

Haven’t gotten much achieved hobby-wise this week. Have added windows on to the 4 buildings I am putting together and been mucking about trying to print some details for them, with mixed results. Will report back with actual progrss once that transpires…

• Avatar Image evilstu660p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Found it – 300 miniatures apparently:

http://geekandsundry.com/artist-releases-300-printable-dd-miniature-patterns-for-free/

@evilstu – if you want to house this rabble for the next weekender, that would be great.

All of the monsters to download! That is awesome, thanks for the link.

@mage The Batman family is growing apace, they look great. Really like the blue you have used.

I will happily hold your beer, no promises it will be full when you are done…

• Avatar Image rayzryr843p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I’ll be pretty busy this weekend, family get-together including the interstate sibling. Probably drop back in on Monday though.
    I’m looking forward to see how you can handle it @evilstu ;-)

• Avatar Image nodri150p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@rayzryr – Agreed. I love living here. Roadkill BBQs and all. Also lovin’ the greens on those Dark Angels.

@fishman – I hate to break it to you, but you didn’t have an emu pet. Given that they won the war in ’32, you were a foreign occupier (or resident diplomat) in the emu’s home.

@evilstu – Glad I could give you a laugh. Hopefully the accident you almost had was in your pants and not in your car! :D

I’m all for you hosting the next weekender! @fishman & @mage could probably use a break. Are you sure you know what you’re in for? The regulars here are a bit loony.

@caladors – Good to hear that your trip is going well, aside from the road signs. You mean none at all? On the flatlands, if anyone is too lazy to name a road, it gets a county road numerical designation. You’ll see roads named CR24 (county road 24). In the mountains, yea, named roads are a luxury.

@mage – Blue and orange is always a good combo (being compliments and all). I’d call them done as they are. Nicely executed.

Monster Manuals are fun reading even if you don’t play D&D. The level of creativity that goes into some of those critters is astonishing.

“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.”
    -Ludwig van Beethoven

A nice, crisp, bright, slightly damp Irish morning has greeted me, along with the six month old Doberman barking his head off like a nuisance. Im a little tired, having completeled a Dungeons and Dragons scenario last night.

Dungeons and Dragons:
    —————————-

I ran a D&D session last night and the group finished up with Lost Mine of Phandelver. I had to tweak the end slightly as with 5- 6 people in the group the end ‘boss’ wasn’t too hard for them to tackle. It ended satisfactorily. Next session will be a side mission from the campaign where the party tackle a village called Thundertree and encounter a young green dragon. Should be fun. It’s the end of a ‘beginner’ campaign where most people had no experience at all with RPGs.

There was times I prompted the party here and there with ideas, suggestions and whatnot, being new and getting used to approaching situations and games rules in D&D. From now on though, the training wheels are off and I’ve advised them silly ideas, potentially self destructive plans, giving them hints, reminding them of stuff and prompting their characters rules would no longer happen. Not in a bad way by any means, but after a short few months of play the introductory phase has come to an end.

When I get paid tomorrow I was thinking of getting the players handbook next. With October coming I am changing my mind and might pick up the Curse of Strahd book instead. The more horror themed game would fit more appropriately with the coming of Halloween.

I also suggested to the players picking up ‘Tales from othe Yawning Portal’ between them (split the cost six or seven ways if I am included). After last nights game I asked for feedback and commentary. A few suggested a topic that came up in the past – taking turns Gming. I explained the logistics of doing it and what can and can’t work with that set-up so we are all on the same page now. Thus I suggested the above mentioned book.

Maybe the next next time I get piad I will pick-up the players handbook. I don’t think the players will be doing much levelling up between now and then, even if a session or three is played by the time it arrives, going from level five to six.

Hobby:
    ———

I noticed with Deathstroke I forgot to do, or rather missed a detail: the straps on his boot. They have now been done and I touched-up the blues around them. With the dry weather I sprayed him with varnish and will add a conservative amount of grass when he is dry, later.

After breakfast and a couple of Episodes of Doctor Who (second series with Tennant) I’m going to head for a jog and working on fitness, and later study some of my martial arts syllabus. I have a grading coming up Sunday week. Have the jitters.

I also worked on the Cyberman from Warlord’s Doctor Who game, mainly the bases at this stage and a bit of a trudge compared to how quickly I went through the models, but still fun to do. Ish. Daleks have taken a back seat in the interim.

Next up is working on Ravager for BMG. Hopefully she will be finished finished today. Noticed a couple of mistakes on here with details after comparing her to the model done by Knight models. Some I think aren’t noticeable so will be left alone, others need to be fixed. I might change the blue slightly as I am not happy with it on her legs as you look directly at it. Then I might add a few glazes or something.

Replies:
    ———-

@fishman With monsters in the monster manual it is a tempting challenge. I may have enough already done with some game systems. I already have a bunch of D&D miniatures for two of the D&D board games. One set is fully painted and the other has basecoats at best. I may work on them next and do them to the same standard so it should be a more relaxed pace than working on better quality minis.

I do intend on getting the Fire Giant for D&D who does resemble a certain bad guy from the Legend of Zelda games. The D&D models aren’t great but the style is consistent and theres a lot of them out there. Easy to pick up single ones on ebay and get stuff cheap ish like a Halfling Rogue, Dragonborn Wizard, Dwarf Clerics, etc. More in the way of adventurers than straight up fighters for Wargames.

Thanks for the compliments on the minis.

@rayzryr Going through the Monster Manual is very inspiring. For now I am looking at the different Dragons, their behaviours, habitats and other aspects. It is very fun. I’m also going through it picking up suitably themed monsters for the fire dungeon I am designing. Best of luck with the weekend and see you Sunday.

@evilstu Many happy hours indeed, and many more of potential gameplay. I can always tone down things mid encounter, provide an opportunity for escape or provide an environmental quirk to help the players out should the CR be off. Thanks for the compliments on the minis.

No objections to you running things next time should you like to do so! ?

@caladors good to hear you are safe.

@nodri It is a striking combo isn’t it? I’m just staying faithful to the comic book colour but clearly the original character designer knew what they were doing. The creativity, effort and artwork that goes into the WotC books never ceases to amaze me, to be honest. Im not a Wizards fanboy or anything, but when you compare it to a smaller company like Mongoose Publishing, it looks even better again.

Okay I better have my breakfast and start my day off. Training this evening for two hours so better get the day off on the right foot. I’ll post when I can.