Beasts of War Homepage

AFTERLIFE : The Shards of Liberty - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 55 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Confrontation Orc Jackal Warrior (5 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image redben1508p said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A lot of firsts for me with this mini. It’s the first Confrontation mini I’ve tried to paint, the first time I’ve tried zenithal highlighting, it’ll be the first time I’ll have tried NMM, and it’s the first time I’ve painted in lots of thin layers, a lot of water and glaze medium went into that. It’s also the first time I’ve used Rackham paints. With the exception of some Vallejo Off White to highlight, everything is Rackham. Not sure why they seem to have a bad rep as I had no issues with them. They do dry noticably more matt than my other paints. If anyone has any of them they don’t want then drop me a line.

I learnt a lot doing this and there’s a few things I’ll do differently when I do the next mini. The neck and chest were reasonably okay but I had a lot of problems doing the abs and ribs. A lot of very small bits, tightly packed together, with a lot contrast that all needed to be balanced with each other. I had to go over them quite a lot until I was happy(ish) with it. Hopefully I’ll remember all the colours I used when I do the head, arms, and legs lol.

orc1.jpg
    orc2.jpg
    orc3.jpg
    orc4.jpg
    orc5.jpg

I think there’s too much highlight on there. I’ll try and tone much of it down, as well as trying to bring out the zenithal effect a bit more as it seems a bit uniform.

I softened the highlights with some Rackham Antique Green then gradually mixed in some Rackham Merin’s Fire (orange) to add more depth to the mini. Picked out a smaller range of highlights with some Vallejo Off-White then topped off with some Vallejo White Glaze. The photo still isn’t bringing out the colours properly though they’re an improvement on the first lot.

orc6.jpg
    orc7.jpg

Starting to get somewhere with the torso. Put some layers of Rackham Abyssal Blue in the recessed areas to shade, then blended up with a mix of that and Rackham Chitin Green. After that some glazes of Vallejo Uniform Green over the torso to reign the highlights in a bit. I’ve also started on the head, which is proving to be a bit easier now I’ve had so much practice on the torso.

Pics didn’t seem to upload on that last one.

orc8.jpg
    orc9.jpg