Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Malifaux Colette Crew [A Gorilla With a Brush PLOG]

Beasts of War Homepage

HEROES OF FALLEN FRONTIERS on Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 10 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Malifaux Colette Crew [A Gorilla With a Brush PLOG] (32 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush926p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I’m just getting started on my next project, which is to paint a full crew for Colette in Malifaux. [I don't play the game, but I love these models. I was just going to paint the starter box, but I already had someone who wanted to buy them before I even painted them if I was willing to do the rest of the crew. I said yes.]

Here is [I think] all of the models I will be doing…

This will be a fun adventure. I hope you follow along!

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com; Twitch Streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/gorillawithabrush
  • Avatar Image caladors5376p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to it man I love the models too they have female models shock horror ha ha ha, but yeah I have the into the breach female set :)

Going to do them exactly as the art?

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush926p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks @caladors! Probably not exactly the same, although I do like a lot the artwork and will probably use it for inspiration as appropriate. For example, I like how Colette’s pinstripe clothes are still “showgirl” but look like fabric from a pantsuit. I plan to use a lot of highly saturated reds, purples, blues, etc. to really try to bring them to life.

And, you know me, … there WILL be freehand work … and as much of it as I can reasonably fit on the models. :D Probably some tattoos, fabric patterns, etc. Plus I will be doing painted wood bases for them with hand-painted woodgrain texture.

It should be fun! It’s really bizarre going back to 28 mm scale models after spending the last 6 months or so mostly painting larger scale stuff. I had a moment where I was like, “They make models this small? Oh yeah! I painted this size model for 20 years… haha.”

• Avatar Image caladors5376p said 2 months ago:

Ohhh noes stwitching from 54 to 28 then going to malxfaux is going to be a real challenge but I am sure your more than up for it.

• Avatar Image hutch133p said 2 months ago:

Wow those figures look beautiful. I can’t wait to see you work your magic on them.

• Avatar Image noyjatat983p said 2 months ago:

As ever looking forward to seeing your work buddy. How do you pick what to paint both for yourself and the charity stuff?

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush926p said 2 months ago:

@noyjatat said:
    As ever looking forward to seeing your work buddy. How do you pick what to paint both for yourself and the charity stuff?

That’s hard to answer! It’s like trying to explain how you pick the next book to read or movie to watch. For myself, I usually start assembling some things from my cabinet and some inspiration will hit on a scheme for some model that gets me excited and I switch to painting mode. Other times someone else will pick it for me. I don’t do typical commission work where someone sends me a model or army and I paint it to their specifications. When people want something painted by me I let them know what models I have assembled or that I might be interested in painting in the near future and let them pick. Then that’s my next project, but painted according to colors, techniques, etc that I want to work on. So it’s more like finding “patrons of the arts” who fund my painting time and they get to keep the product.

• Avatar Image waxer132p said 2 months ago:

Looking forward for this.

I got my first two painting sessions in on the Malifaux crew over the last two days. [I didn't show progress until now because most the girls looked naked until I did the blacklining...and there's kids around, gosh darn it. ;) ]

I always pictured Cassandra as a total powerhouse woman – someone who is tough as nails. After all, she’s the only one carrying an actual weapon. So she gets the tattoo pinup treatment while the other women will not have tattoos (at least not like this).

Someone on Facebook asked me if I put tattoos on everything. I said “No, just most things.” :)

Geezs man that looks impressive, I hope there is somewhere where you can show works in progress as you go :P
    But yeah I think that is looking pretty darn good liking the tats early on.

Thanks, @caladors. I should be fine from here on out. But painting the flesh first on the models with corsets really, really made it look like I was painting naked women, and I just thought I would keep things more tasteful. I should be able to show everything else, and I’ll try to do the skin steps on some later models that have more clothing. :D

• Avatar Image bucketknight492p said 2 months ago:

I see another golden button coming up.

On a side note; kids aren’t that bothered by nudity. It mostly bothers adults. :)

@bucketknight Thanks! I was more worried about @caladors‘s reaction when he got to those pictures during a stream in terms of appropriate/inappropriate… haha :D He has been known to get excited…

@gorillawithabrush said:
    @bucketknight Thanks! I was more worried about @caladors‘s reaction when he got to those pictures during a stream in terms of appropriate/inappropriate… haha :D He has been known to get excited…

You make one edgy comment and people show how much of prude they are :/
    I am with @bucketknight, I am obviously playing it up for the camera so to speak. But it’s adults who get upset with the stuff not kids.

@caladors I know, I know. Just giving you a little good-natured ribbing. :D

To be honest I didn’t post pictures of them in earlier stages so I wouldn’t feel compelled to have to make very clear that they weren’t naked, and if Iposted the pics elsewhere they would have a chance to get auto-flagged by a computer algorithm as containing nudity.