Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Miniature Board Game Painting Challenge

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 56 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Miniature Board Game Painting Challenge (12 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image warhammergrimace269p said 2 months ago:

If like me you not only play table top war-games but board games as well. You probably have one or two miniature board games in your collection. Well, I have several, and I’m one of those gamers who prefers his miniatures to be painted. So for the next twelve months I plan to paint all of the miniatures in each and every one of my board games.

Survivors from Walking Dead

Currently that list is as follows

D&D; Wrath of Ansalon

D&D; Legend of Drizzit

Last Night on Earth; Timber Peak

Sedition Wars

City of Thieves

12 Kingdoms

Confrontation; Hybrid

Confrontation; Nemesis

Battlelore 2nd Edition

The following are on my list to purchase;

Blood Bowl

Guild Ball

Zombicide

Recently Added

Battlelore 1st Edition

Dragon Tides (Bruce Lee)

This purchase list may change over the course of the 12 months, but rather than lose some off the list it’ll gain more games.

I’ve looked at different styles of painting the miniatures, even considered Warren’s idea (Beasts of War) of Cell Shading Method and replacing the bases with clear acrylic. The problem for me is that this style doesn’t really do the miniatures justice, yes they stand out on the board more but they just don’t jump up and pop from the board for my liking. So I’m considering a simple table top standard paint scheme, something similar to the style used by Kev Dallimore. A simple and relatively quick paint scheme to implement but at the same time really making the minis stand out on the board. Though on the games that have character playing pieces I plan to go slightly better than table top, just to make those miniatures stand apart from the monster playing pieces. Likewise any boss villains will also be given a slightly higher paint scheme, so that they also stand out from their minions.

Survivors from Timber Peak

One the games I’ve recently added to my list is Mantic’s The Walking Dead; All Out War, and I started painting the character miniatures immediately. The miniatures are one piece hard plastic, which makes them really easy to paint. The So far I’ve managed to paint the base colours, but the plan to add shade and highlights at a later stage. My problem is new shiny syndrome, so I can start something and get easily distracted which means it takes a while for me to finish my miniatures to the level I’m happy with.

Trolls from Wrath of Ansalon

Another miniature from the D&D board game

• Avatar Image tchrin245p said 2 months ago:

Good luck with this. I decided to do this late last year and started painting my way through all my Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten King minis, and then I picked up the 40K Tzeentch Start Collecting box so started painting that instead, and then I picked up Silver Tower and started painting that. And now I have Dark Imperium turning up tomorrow. Not to mention the various single minis I’ve bought due to shiny syndrome.

Needless to say I have failed at completing to paint any complete set of minis and have 10+ kickstarters due over the next 6-12 months (including SDE2.0 if it ever ships) most of which with 50+ minis a piece.

So I applaud your ambition and wish you better luck than me!

Enthusiastic Amateur Hobbyist
    Slowly (re)learning after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby

Haha…I also have a 40k Eldar Army to paint, plus Bolt Action army and 1/72 Napoleonic project, along with countless single miniatures in the grey army. So while I’m doing this challenge I’m restricting myself on miniature purchases, which is a challenge all by itself lol

• Avatar Image soapdodger379p said 2 months ago:

Love painted board games. Have so many and I am part the way through Doom.

This tends to go excited – happy at progress – in the thick of it and feeling overwhelmed – hating it- struggle to finish – ecstatic that I finished – happy with the result – forget how hard it was – start again with another one.

Love the colours on Timber Peak. so natural looking. Good luck!

Cheers, I’m more likely to get distracted by other projects I have on the go.

On another note, I’ve now added Mars Attack to that list…even more minis to paint lol….so much for controlling ny purchases lol

• Avatar Image laughingboy453p said 2 months ago:

Very much doing the same, just head down getting box by box done. Very satisfying when you get a view like this at the end.

15284855_10209536792711461_5794776940495840304_n.jpg

Those look really nice, mine still need tidying up and finishing, then will start the zombies in batches.

• Avatar Image lightsout1985423p said 2 months ago:

Looking great @laughingboy and @warhammergrimace ! Lovely looking stuff here. I’ve got a few board games backed on KS so they will be coming in drips over the next 12 months. I’ve got Silver Tower to do which I think I’m going to paint normally as I love the mini’s but the others I have coming I think I’m going to speed paint/ dip the majority and the paint the big pieces in a bit more detail.

• Avatar Image warhammergrimace269p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

What ever works best for you is the best way to.get them finished and on the table top….look forward to seeing some pics. I have some wips to.add up.tomorrow and finished bits for Walking Dead

• Avatar Image coxjul1004p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Nice work – keep going ‘cos you know you’ll never really catch up! You’re well ahead of me…

• Avatar Image warhammergrimace269p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I’m already falling behind having bought a couple of new games lol….

Here are some items I managed to finish over the weekend.

First up the Red Dragon from D&D’s Wrath of Ashardalon

I also made a start of the scenery pieces I have for The Walking Dead.

Finally I decided to paint three of the miniatures from Fantasy Flights City of Thieves set in Cadwallon. The miniatures are based on sculpts from Rackham, which makes them very nice to paint. These are in early WIP stage.