Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | ”Shades of Springs” – Nothing But Flowers

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 hours, 39 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

”Shades of Springs” – Nothing But Flowers (47 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image dsrrichter32p said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

I got my hobby inspiration up when hearing about the “Shades of Spring” challenge. I went through my different boxes of supplies and scraps to build this quirky off the wall project. I will attempt to depict an ancient destroyed “Battle Bot” left where it met it’s demise in battle and left in the ruins of a building that nature has reclaimed. Now that Spring is here even destruction and technology can be beautified by the season of rebirth,

Here is a small materials list I am starting off with:

Base 8″x 9″ plywood approx. 5mm thick
    Toy Robot from Dollar or Pound Store
    Fluorescent light diffuser – Window Frames
    Pink insulation foam 1/2″ thick
    Foam board
    Flower Tufts

There will a lot more added as it comes together. I will be doing videos of some the progress on my Youtube channel Richter Scale Studios too.

materials-wm.jpg
  • Avatar Image dsrrichter32p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 1, for Beast of War “the Shades of Spring Project”

I rarely draw out plans, to a fault, on any of my projects. Sometimes it leads to something really creative or a lot of redo’s and tare aparts. In the first two photos I am cutting the basic foundation, from pink insulation foam, with my Bladrunner saw using a Bosch T113A blade design to cut foam. In that photo with blade, the cut shown on the foam is from the blade. I really like how it gives it a manufactured clean edge.

In the next two photos, I attach my freshly cut pink foam foundation to the plywood base. The plywood was primed with a simple rattle can black primer. For secure adhesion, I like using “Liquid Nails”. I have never any problems with reaction with any materials and it does take a while to set up, but worth peace of mind it will not fall apart.

Now we have a found now, it is time to get creative…

img_1912.jpg
    img_19131.jpg
    img_1914.jpg
    img_1915.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 2, for Beast of War “the Shades of Spring Project”

In the 2 photos below I have started the basic detailing of the building.

First off I cut 3 1/2″ inch pink foam pieces to make 3 1/2″ x 8″ inch walls

. Then carved, with a standard pencil, bricks 1″ x 1/2″, at 1:48 scale, each represents a large 4′ x 2′ brick. Some of the end brick have been remove to dovetail the walls together to give the corners a more realistic look

There is some scrap foam to get an idea hoe to layout steps. A scrap piece of MDF for a door. These are both just draft pieces to get a layout.

I used a small paper cutter to cut “Dollar Store” craft foam sheets to make floor tiles to represent 3′x3′.

The light diffuser used for the window frames will probably be cut down to a smaller size to fit the wall size better.

I will cut the wall later to fit windows, doors and remove sections to represent battle damage.

img_19181.jpg
    img_1919.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 3, for Beast of War “the Shades of Spring Project”

This will be a very quick update. I found a few “Easter Eggs” to add to the Spring terrain piece. I found these squirrels on Ebay. The model railroad O Scale size is the closest size that works with 28mm wargaming scale. The package says pewter and painted, obviously they are not painted but primed. June 10 update I just found some ducks, online, from the same manufacturer, now to figure out how to include a water feature or two and hopefully they arrive soon..

img_1924.jpg
    art-1344-2.jpg
  • Avatar Image inu53181p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

This is coming along nicely, curious to see how it progresses and to see where the squirrels end up.

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 4, for Beast of War “the Shades of Spring Project”

As I stated in update 1, I rarely if ever plan out most of my projects. Here is project change number one, the main base is too small for what I originally envisioned. This toy robot is huge at 1/48-28mm scale; I will put a miniature to show scale in a later update. This was not a hard fix, I just cut a another piece of MDF and primed, glued and clamped it to set. The original base, still attached, will now represent a sidewalk area.

img_1923.jpg
    img_19251.jpg
    img_1929.jpg
    img_1930.jpg
  • Avatar Image dsrrichter32p said 6 months ago:

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 5, for the Shades of Spring Project

All of the three basic wall are cut and the bricks have been sculpted. I made 6 modular 3 1/2″ x 8″ inch pink foam walls and carved 1/2″ x 1″ inch brick. at 1/48 scale the brick are quite large, 4′ x 2′ feet. The building was a government or administrative with the high almost 14 foot ceilings. I measured the bricks using an 18″ T-Square and carved the bricks shape using an 8″ Speed Square with a pencil.

I also tested and like the look of the light diffuser as the windows. The windows are large and will be dramatic when completed. The window holes were penciled traced and slowly cut out with a craft knife. I still have not figured out exactly how the partially destroyed building will look like, so I will think out where I want them and do not want to make more work for myself.

In the last photo I am still working with the look and how to attach a partially destroy 2nd story floor. The craft foam squares represent 3′x3′ foot tile.

img_1958.jpg
    img_1959.jpg
    img_1978.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 6, for the Shades of Spring Project

All of the light diffuser window frames have been installed. Now I will determine how the walls will be cut to represent the bombed out and damaged building.

I put out an old dust tactics figure, a 1/48 scale miniature, to show the actual scale of the terrain piece. You now really really get a feel for the size of the building and how huge the robot is.

img_1970.jpg
    img_1971.jpg
    img_1972.jpg
    img_1973.jpg
  • Avatar Image nodri150p said 6 months ago:

It’s always amazing to see what can be scratchbuilt out of pink foam :) Can’t wait to see it completed.

Great call on using the Bladerunner. I have one and it’s indispensable :)

“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.”
    -Ludwig van Beethoven

Thanks for the comment! Do you have the original Bladerunner or the X2. I like my original, but I like how you can rip wider with new Balderunner X2. That would be so nice cutting down MDF, plywood or foam for terrain bases. Cheers!

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 7, for the Shades of Spring Project

Now to get the building to look like it was a battle casualty. I get out my “Hotwire Foam Factory” Scroll Table. This tool and family of tools from “Hotwire Foam Factory” makes hobby terrain making so much easier. I do use a speed square to adjust the wire a straight as possible. You see in some of photos, i used a black Sharpie to mark the area I wanted to cut away to make the walls looked knocked down. The hotwire table make cutting really easy, since it is a damaged building mistakes are no big deal. You see in the left over pile I have a ton of bricks to add to the terrain piece later.

img_1977.jpg
    img_1983.jpg
    img_1984.jpg
    img_1986.jpg
    img_1987.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 8, for the Shades of Spring Project

A quick update to show the building white tacked together. This is the part of the project I really like, when it starts looking like what I had in mind.

img_1988.jpg
    img_1989.jpg
    img_1990.jpg
    img_1991.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 9, for the Shades of Spring Project

Another quick update I cut out the front door at scale it is 6 foot wide by 8 foot high. You see the glue gun and the shiny glue bead lines; the first floor is now permanently set.

u9a.jpg
    u9b.jpg
    u9c.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 10, for the Shades of Spring Project

I finally figure out what to do with the front entry steps! Last year watching Jason Craze on his Twitch channel Slow Fuse Gaming #slowfusegaming. He was making some great looking foam board terrain. He was using some tools from a company called FoamWerks. These tools are another tool that makes the hobbyist’s life easier. Pictured is the FoamWerks Circle cutter. This tool can cut a perfect foam board circle from 1″-6″ inches in diameter. I loved how the steps turned out, they definitely give the the front of the building that something it needed.

img_2002.jpg
    img_2004.jpg
    img_20062.jpg
    img_20081.jpg
    img_20101.jpg

Nothing But Flowers, UPDATE 11, for the Shades of Spring Project

Here comes another project change… In an earlier post I had some orange craft foam squares cut up for floor tiles; that has been changed. For versatility and time constraints due to a little procrastination, I am switching over to foam board with one side of the paper stripped to texture later. This will make adding damage a little easier too. The photos are self explanatory.

img_20111.jpg
    img_20121.jpg
    img_2013.jpg
    img_20141.jpg