Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Old Imperial Guard Beastmen

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Old Imperial Guard Beastmen (9 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image grimcrazy339p said 4 weeks ago:

One of my favourite ever figures. I painted him when I was 13 years old and then when ebay came along I got another one and painted him too.

He used to get tanked on Frenzon and charge at genestealers and tall red Tyranids :-)

img_20171113_222013_1.jpg
  • Avatar Image robert1972p said 4 weeks ago:

Great figures, always wanted these back in the day. Very appropriate given how ForgeWorld are releasing a Beastman for Necromunda soon.

• Avatar Image severon95p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

How did they work fluffwise? How would the end up with the guard?

• Avatar Image maledrakh518p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

@severon

*if I remember correctly*:

In the olden days of yore, “abhumans” such at there were genetically stable reproducing subtypes of human populating entire planets. They were incorporated in the Imperium and used as their own units throughout the imperial guard as, for the most part, cannon fodder. This if from the same era as penal legions and entire squards of commisar cadets.

Ogryns are a good example of a type of abhuman that still exists, ratlings (halfling snipers),and the beastmen (dont remember if they had a 40k name or not) were other types. (squats were also considered a kind of abhuman, but they were AFIK never Guard.

I think this model was a sergeant.

I dont know why they were dropped, apart from the obvious chaos connections in fantasy.

The infrequent blog: At the Mountains of Minis
  • Avatar Image mage5493p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Beastmen still exist in the Imperial guard in the fluff today. They never went away.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5216p said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

The Imperium’s tolerance of abhumans and mutants is somewhat subjective and different people tend to draw the line in different places. Hence Beastmen aren’t necessarily outlawed they’re just generally treated as second class.

• Avatar Image mage5493p said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@onlyonepinman said:
    The Imperium’s tolerance of abhumans and mutants is somewhat subjective and different people tend to draw the line in different places. Hence Beastmen aren’t necessarily outlawed they’re just generally treated as second class.

Yeah that has been mentioned in various pieces of fluff over the years. I recall in Inquisitor mutants (not beastmen or abhumans but mutant-mutants) are used in various capacities on different worlds, mainly as slaves.

• Avatar Image grimcrazy339p said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

I think they were like the convict Penal Squads – spared the death penalty because of their combat ability. They were ‘stable’ mutants and ferocious in close-combat.

The lore implied that they were low IQ, worshipped the Emperor like a Chaos god and were guilt-ridden because they were born mutants. There was a quote in the White Dwarf Compendium – ‘Beastmen bad, give skulls to Emperor, say sorry’.

Only the sergeant (pack-master) had guns. The rest of the squad had hand-to-hand weapons. You could give them Frenzon – combat enhancing drugs (+2 WS). They had no command squad and you could take 4 squads (40 beastmen).

Victoria Miniatures do beastmen…
    Broolian Beast Guard

• Avatar Image phaidknott146p said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

I had 40 penal troops for 40K, one of the worst decisions of my gaming life was selling them when I emigrated to the USA :(

…….I had quite a few Beastmen and SQUATS as well (back when GW had useful things in White Dwarf such as the Imperial Guard army list)….how I loved all that stuff back when :(