Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Painting competitions or rather exhibitions?

Beasts of War Homepage

Forge of Destiny Facebook - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 minute ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Painting competitions or rather exhibitions? (6 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image donlou239p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I just read a great post on Massive Vodoos blog, and I thought I post it here. I’m interested to hear what the BoW community thinks about this subject.

In general their take on it is that we are now at a point where miniature painting should be more seen as a form of artistic expression rather than something competitive. I can just recommend to anyone who has the slightest interest in painting to read the post, the guys are making some valid points.

In my opinion the BoW community already is more on the exhibition side than on the competition side. I think the golden buttons for example are more a token of appreciation than a winners medal.

But instead of me rambling on read the post and share your thoughts.

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush946p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I read the article, and much of it echoes my feelings.

I used to compete in painting competitions, but quit long ago for many, many reasons. But chief among them is that this is my hobby, my artistic outlet, and my passion. I do it for myself and not for anyone else. Adding stress, deadlines, required travel, etc. is exactly the opposite of all of the reasons I paint miniatures. However, I don’t knock anyone who wants to do competitions as it can drive a person to really push their skills.I just prefer other ways of pushing my skill level (like painting a model for someone else who has trusted me to do my best – I want to knock their socks off when they open the model).

So I am more in favor of moving towards an exhibition model. And I would love to take part in that…if I didn’t so often sell off or give away my best works, haha.

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website:; Twitch Streaming:
  • Avatar Image angelicdespot1049p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Perhaps painting (competitions) has more in common with gaming (competitions) than first appears. After all, gaming is supposed to be a hobby, and who really cares who’s best at pushing plastic miniatures around a table and rolling dice? Arguably, painting is something that is more justified in having a competition than gaming is.

That said, I think a huge amount depends upon the attitudes of the organisers and the entrants. I’ve just read in the latest White Dwarf an article about the Golden Daemon painting competition. One of the people who won many times says that it became less competitive even as the skill level went up and up and up.

Back in the early days, pre-internet (or pre-much internet), you didn’t know who else was entering and you didn’t know what other people were working on in secret. These days (apparently), the top painters know each other, meet up socially at competitions, encourage each other, give each tips and feedback etc. as they work on their entries. Just like relaxed gaming competitions, it’s the taking part and the drive to do something good that counts, not necessarily the winning, nice little extra though that may be.

I’ve always treated the gaming tournaments I’ve taken part in as exhibitions and as structured ways to meet people and get some games in. If I entered a painting competition, I’d approach it the same way.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5396p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I’ve personally considered miniature painting to be art for a long time, same goes for scale modelling. I don’t really think there’s any question of this in my mind. The fact that it’s art doesn’t mean it can’t be competitive. There’s plenty of awards for various branches of art (Turner Prize for example) so there can be competition in art.

• Avatar Image mage6040p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Regardless of one’s perspective or philosphy, it is down to the event being hosted by the organisers. Whether or not you attend it too.

Go to an exhibit, go to a competition, either way they are two different things. Go with what you prefer 8)

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5396p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I guess if you’re not actually taking part then even competitions are like exhibitions.