Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Painting White Horses

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 hours, 6 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Painting White Horses (10 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image ghostbear262p said 2 months ago:

Hey folks, I’m working on some horses for my mounted Late Romans for Saga and I want my warlord to have a white horse. Thing is, I messed it up so much that I stripped the model. I’m tempted to give up but I want to give white a go again. Any suggestions? Links to guides?

• Avatar Image mage5495p said 2 months ago:

Personally, I’d spray it grey and then spray a zenith white primer over that when dry. Nice, simple, quick

• Avatar Image lawnor1011p said 2 months ago:

If you’re feeling particularly saucy you can then add a dilute grey/black wash to the mane and crevices afterwards, and then drybrush highlight with white to reclaim the core colour. For a colder feel the original grey can be replaced with a very light pale blue, but that’s more useful for winter wolves and white ice creatures.

I hate painting horses. I always put off painting them as long as I can.

• Avatar Image avernos1463p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

I’m going to be painting some horses early next week, sort of Sunday/Monday. I’m planning on using an oil wipe for speed painting them, but I was also going to try some stippling and things for greys and the like. I could post something here once I’m done let you see how they turned out and how I did them kinda thing if you’d like

“Daemons and Shit!” -BoW Lloyd 2017

Sophia Lives!!!

• Avatar Image commodorerob1694p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

I hate doing horses but find white horses the most satisfying. I always start with dark grey base coat then add thin layers each slightly lighter than the last going up to white to build up the shades etc.

Official graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Bootcamp Veteran: Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action, Team Yankee, Walking Dead, Dropfleet Commander, Flames of War, Hobby Camp, Wolsung
  • Avatar Image coxjul1164p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

The key is: there’s surprisingly little white on a white horse! There are all kinds of greys, browns and pinks.

As suggested above you can start from a darker colour (grey) and build up the lighter colours or you can start with a white and work in the shades/shadows. In either case the problem tends to make it look like a living animal.

The problem with some greys is that they can be very blue and unorganic, There are some more brown/greys you can work from, giving the animal a living tone right from the start.

Similarly you might want to start from an off white which you can add the shadows to in one tone direction and pickout/dry-brush a more pure white in the other.

• Avatar Image waxer85p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Grey primer, then off-whites. Scale75 have few nice off-whites. Pure white only for final highlight.

• Avatar Image brushstroke1513p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

As others have said… the main trick is to use very little white.
    Start from grey and build up

Also, consider adding markings and variations such as dapple

You can also follow my painting jibber jabber on Facebook

white-horse.jpg
    12809767_587172018108406_9215727150435514293_n12.jpg
  • Avatar Image a27cromwell73p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

I just used Model Color 70.986 Deck Tan , a sort of off grey / white , then wash with GW Agrax Earthshade .. No extra base coating or all the layers of shading stuff for me , I like the way it turned out , and it looks ok the guys at the hobby shop.as well

• Avatar Image sotf31p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

@coxjul said:
    The key is: there’s surprisingly little white on a white horse! There are all kinds of greys, browns and pinks.

As suggested above you can start from a darker colour (grey) and build up the lighter colours or you can start with a white and work in the shades/shadows. In either case the problem tends to make it look like a living animal.

The problem with some greys is that they can be very blue and unorganic, There are some more brown/greys you can work from, giving the animal a living tone right from the start.

Similarly you might want to start from an off white which you can add the shadows to in one tone direction and pickout/dry-brush a more pure white in the other.

One thing that tends to work better if you want a more white look for a horse is to start with an off white linen type color, then work up to about a mix of half and half of it with white before giving it a wash, then a drybrush of white over that