Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Paintstripping Plastic?

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 57 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Paintstripping Plastic? (22 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image grimcrazy339p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Fairy Power used to work perfectly for me – but I can get no results with the new formula. And all the Dettol solutions I have tried aren’t working.

Can someone please recommend a brand product – I plan to paint-strip some Space Crusade figures for my xmas project :-)

spray1.jpg

Something UK in Homebase or Tesco?

• Avatar Image torros3841p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Biostrip is the best I’ve found. You can only get it from Amazon but it works on any material including plastic and it’s waterbased

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biostrip-Stripper-remover-solution-effortlessly/dp/B00B4WK17K

Just paint it on and it starts working in 5/10 minutes

• Avatar Image querion1491p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I would recomend biostrip too. works gread on plastic or metal (haven’t tried on resin so far), is waterbased like torros said and doesn’t attack the skin and doesn’t produce harmful fumes.

• Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Buy biostrip direct from the manufacturer biostrip.co.uk the sampler bottle for £5 has lasted me 3 years and still have half left!

http://www.biostrip.co.uk/paint-stripping/biostrip-20-sample-bottle.html

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Just paint it on and scrub with a nail brush after waiting five to 10 mins, its amazing stuff I stripped a lead dreadnaught back to metal which I bought off a friend who had painted it with hammerite and enamels, and I proceeded to paint it about 10 times without stripping when I was a youth and then left in a box for nigh on 20 years so well and truly cured paint it was too easy to get something workable with it :D , if using on resin test with some left over sprue have heard it reacts with certain resins.

Awesome – thanks!

I hate using paint-stripper in my flat. I am paint-stripping Rouge Trader era dreadnoughts coated in old paint :-O

• Avatar Image torros3841p said 1 week ago:

@nakchak I will look into ordering directly. I order from Amazon as I know they will dispatch it to NI. Some other places I tried wont

• Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 week ago:

@torros http://www.biostrip.co.uk/delivery-information
    Says they deliver internationally, only says that the consider the highlands and islands as not part of uk mainland, when i ordered my sampler bottle it came in a jiffy bag by royal mail so i figure for the 100ml bottle it would be like any other UK recorded delivery….

I should probably do a post on tips and tricks with this stuff, had a bit of a back and forth with the info email address, very helpful chaps.

If you have some particuarly stubborn paint one thing you can do is heat the stuff in a water bath before you paint it on, i.e. boil kettle, fill a jug and plop the bottle in leave it for 5-10 mins then apply, one of the chemists said that its totally safe to do other than you could scold your self with hot water lol

@grimcrazy you wont have an odor problem with biostrip, it doesnt really have an odor, its a little plasticky (like sniffing a pot of acrylic paint) but its in the same ballpark as copydex in terms of stinking room out, as i assume you have no issues with using super glue, activator or poly cement in your flat, this stuff is a order of magnitude less smelly :)

• Avatar Image theeuropean8p said 1 week ago:

I agree, the new power spray doesn’t work.

I eventually found a product called ‘Deepio Degreaser’
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Deepio-Degreaser-Spray-Pack/dp/B004JVDVLG

if you live near a ‘Makro’ store in the UK and have membership, it’s about £2.99 a bottle.
    It works a treat, I literally bought a shed load (that’s right, I went balls Deepio)
    I haven’t tried it on the softer resins like Hawk or Prodos yet but the effect seems to be as good as Fairy Power.

• Avatar Image deaddave4297p said 1 week ago:

I definitely recommend biostrip, even works on resin if you work really quickly… Because it can melt it, arse clenching moment on a £160 model lol.
    Just bought a pot on ebay for £10.07 with free postage https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biostrip-20-Paint-Stripper-paint-remover-remove-paint-Waterbased-500ml-/281447501608?txnId

You can always spot the obsessive detractors who need the world to know just how much they don’t like a thing other people like.
    ‘As far as this can reach.’
    When asked ‘how far Sparta’s boundaries stretched?’, King Agesilaus’ replied brandishing his spear.
    wp_20171006_0011.jpg
  • Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 week ago:

@deaddave how you find dunking vs painting it on?
    Also been stripping stuff tonight, found a really easy way to strip fine details without scrubbing it to death, just made a mini pressure washer with one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000LFTYV0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1512428948&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pressure+spray+bottle&dpPl=1&dpID=41ptYjIL5ZL&ref=plSrch
    Great for getting into awkward corners, bit messy though so best to do outside or in the bath…

• Avatar Image deaddave4297p said 6 days, 13 hours ago:

@nakchak dunking is certainly easier, but painting it on seems to work nearly as well as long as you keep applying it.

• Avatar Image grimcrazy339p said 6 days, 2 hours ago:

Just checked and e-bay wont send biostrip to N. Ireland. They recommend ‘changing my address’ :-)

I will try amazon.

Poor Bloodthirster looks like he’s in a lot of pain!

• Avatar Image torros3841p said 5 days, 18 hours ago:

Amazon definitely do cos I’ve done it,as have several others I know here who have ordered it