Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Post Salute Wargame holiday!

Beasts of War Homepage

Fantasy Flight Games World Championships 2018 Streaming Live May 1st to 6th - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 4 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Post Salute Wargame holiday! (11 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

G’day everyone!

Long time not posted.

So Salute was great, but as we are a lazy bunch no one entered the painting competition. I will post more about Salute later this week.

A few months ago I had an idea, what more motivating than a big wargaming event to get you back on track.

So I did put a week off work after Salute.

This week will be greatly dedicated to finish or advance on wargaming projects that might have been a bit stuck in the past few months.

So in order of priority here are the lucky winner project.

1) Get a 300 pts points Bolt Action army finished, and the lucky sods are…. the brits!

The goal is to start and finish this basic army.

Long story short.
    One Second Leutnant Regular
    2 platoons of 8 Regular rifleman with Bren gun
    1 platoon of 5 Regular rifleman

300 pts is 22 guys
    That leaves 3 spare guys from the base infantry box.

2) Finish those damn Chieftains:

If I do not doing the lynx is going to be real tough…. maybe the plan will change along the line.

3) Ork reeinforcement for 1500 pts V8 army list.

Cause we restarted to play 40k and I am only a few minis away from having a 1500 pts force ready.

4) 1/600 Mig 21 6 of them

Preped those guys a few weeks ago but never got around to paint them. It’ll be nice and quick but still a finished project. Might add more 1/600 if it goes well

5) The Perry Miniatures Travel battle.

I wanna do a basic paint job on those minis rather than leaving them red and blue. Silly me I forgot to get a spray of blue and red while at salute….. might check out my GW dealer later this week.

I will post updates all week long on how this week is going and how the goals are moving along (or changing :P ) Still! Now let’s put a XLBS in queue and get started.

Here is my small community blog:

The snot’s tavern: http://aubergesnot.blogspot.ch/

img_0784_a.jpg
    img_0778_a.jpg
    img_0776_a.jpg
    img_0781_a.jpg
    img_0782_a.jpg
  • Avatar Image angelicdespot1067p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

What a great idea! I came away from Salute nicely inspired but I’m back to work and already can see that enthusiasm being swamped by day to day tasks. A holiday straight after a big event would be a great way to get into a hobby habbit and make some progress.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Few things beat a good hobby stay-cation :)

Check out my fantasy miniatures game Deneb!
    Forum Topic
    Website
  • Avatar Image olliep931p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Have a week off myself and the wife is away on a work trip, no Salute purchases but plenty in the to-do pile (hence why I didn’t go to Salute to make it bigger!)
    So on the list – finish the pile of 30k armour for a planned large game in June (although expect dates to move as everyone else appears to be behind!), finished a few tanks off today but still have 2 80% done, and another 4 units unbuilt….
    Then I have a choice… SW Legion Core set or a 1500pts of 40k Marines…. am leaning towards Legion just because it’s not painting marines…. but I may need the marines sooner… hmm…. (plus playing Legion tonight with a friend’s copy provides extra motivation!)

• Avatar Image wolfch144p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

@angelicdespot: thanks, and yes it makes a couple of years I find it sad to let all that drive go down the drain. plus I needed time away from work. so it matched great. The funniest thing is that none of those projects have been purchased at Salute this year :P

@davehawes: agreed ^^

@olliep: sounds like a great project :) can’t wait to see pictures of that.

Anyhow. Here is a shot of what I was able to achieve yesterday (shopping and my little niece came stealing some hobby time but well ^^ ) still better than nothing.

Today I want to put together the last squad of infantry, get it primed. pre shaded. base coated and we’ll see from there.

While all the drying occures I will probably hit the Chieftains with some pin washes.

Will update though the day. ah…. also got the Salute Swag shot to do.

Oh….. and the postman brought me something to distract me even more….. damn

img_0786a.jpg
    img_0793_a.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 1 week ago:

Good day to all,

here is a little update on what was done yesterday.

Project 1: British Bolt Action Infantry.

Did manage to get them all built.
    Undercoated white
    Preshaded with some nuln oil
    And then base coated with 4 layers of The plastic soldier company Brown British Infantry spray.

On the Chieftain project I managed to get 2 tanks pin washed. and apply a second layer of gloss varnish on a third one in order to see if my first coat was too light.

Today was busy with some social life and enjoying the gorgeous sun we had (what an idea to have a hobby cation when it-s nice and sunny outside).
    I also dug out some tutorials for the panting of the infantry (could have prepared that before hand).

Anyway, will keep you posted.

img_0802a.jpg
    img_0807a2.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 6 days, 21 hours ago:

Well Yesterday was mostly spent away from the painting desk and figuring out how the hell will I paint those brits. I have now a rough idea.

However I managed to finish the pin washes on all the chieftains, so here they are:

img_0809a.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 5 days, 21 hours ago:

I was able to work a fair bit yesterday even if due to dinner invitation not as much as I wanted (hey you can’t turn down a man who wants to show you his new cellar and make you enjoy it)

So I was able to paint:
    - Helmet
    - Webbing (gaiters and helmet strap included)
    - Hessian Stripes
    - boots

Wanted to get the skin and wood (rifles, stocks of brens and entrenching tools handles) and a strong tone overall wash but well. This will be for today.

Here is the WIP picture

img_0810a.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 4 days, 22 hours ago:

Good Morning everyone,

So yesterday on the brits I was able to do:
    - Basic skin layer
    - Wood for rifles, stocks and entrenching tools
    - fix the water canteens that were all khaki but now the straps are khaki and the rest is british uniform (yes I know small detail)
    - Do the overall wash with Strong wash army painter.

Here are the pictures

While the Strong tone Wash was drying I went and gave some love to the Mig 21.

They just need a coat or two of matt varnish and they will be done :)

Also had a bit of an idea and revelation on the AWACS Gulf War bases and how to have the pole. As all my airplane minis are magnetised I suddently thought…. nail….

And here we are:

It’s basic and will requite:
    - trimming of what pokes below
    - gluing
    - Painting

But it gives a nice base for several gaming system

AWACS
    Missile Threat
    and also the minigames from wings at war

img_0814a.jpg
    img_0816a.jpg
    img_0811a.jpg
    img_0819a.jpg
    img_0821a.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 3 days, 22 hours ago:

Happy Sunday!

So here is a tiny bit of update.

I was able to do some highlight on the brits. the skin (twice) and the BDU once only.

we’ll see if I can get all the highlights done by today. it already seems that I won’t be able to get the decals on by the end of the day. anyway Let’s get to it and this time let’s not end on the bike and at a restaurant even if once again the weather is lovely.

img_0827a.jpg
  • Avatar Image wolfch144p said 3 days, 9 hours ago:

Here we are, Sunday evening…. all set for work…. and even if lots of work was achieved the very ambitious goals were not reach. Oh well… at least I got things nicely moved along.

Here is a picture of the British. Paint wise. if we do not count the decals and the basing, they are done. I will not bother to do the eyes at the moment. It’s not my best work but I feel they are a decent table top standard. and will have me ready for the gaming group starting on bolt Action

Here were the steps for those who wonders

Time line:

undercoat white

pre shading Nul Oil

Base Coat TPSC British Infantry Spray

Helmet FOW 924 Russian Uniform

Hessian Strip Dark Sand 847
    US Dark Green 893
    helmet jugular FOW Khaki 988

Webbing

FOW Khaki 988

boots cups stens GW Abadon Black

Skin GW Bugman Glow

Rifles and Bren Stock: GW Mournfang Brown

Army Painter Strong Tone wash all over

FOW British Uniform 921 highlight on BDU

Cadian Fleshtone Highlight on skin

GW Kisleve Felsh highlight

FOW British Uniform 921 highlight+ Dark Sand 847 70/30 mix on BDU

FOW Khaki 988 highlight on Webbing and helmet chinstrap + gaiters

Hessian Strip Dark Sand 847 highlight
    US Dark Green 893 hi

FOW British Uniform 921 highlight+ Dark Sand 847 40/60 mix on BDU

FOW Khaki 988 highlight+ Dark Sand 847 50/50 mix on webbing and helmet chinstrap + gaiters

Metal FOW black 950 + FOW Metal 863 50/50 mix on guns and metal parts

img_0834a.jpg