Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Scalecolor or fantasy and games range?

Beasts of War Homepage

Infinity Beyond Packs, Pre-Orders Start Monday July 24th - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Scalecolor or fantasy and games range? (4 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image flancen14p said 3 days, 22 hours ago:

Hi there, anyone tried both theese ranges and noted any differences? In drying matt? In mixing with non scale additives? Asking for a friend who thinks the non fantasy line mixes worse with reaper additives than reaper does….

• Avatar Image lightsout1985330p said 3 days, 22 hours ago:

Hi @flancen

I’ve used both of these paint recently. I picked up some scale75 paints to try not realising they were separate ranges. To be honest, I can’t notice much if any difference between either. Both dry very matte. They are a little harder to work than citadel and P3 paints in my opinion (I use a brush) but you get a lovely even coverage. The paints are certainly, in my experience, more fragile than other paints I have used. They can rub off if you aren’t careful, which I have learnt the hard way on my most recent project. Some say the fantasy line is more robust than scalecolour; I have noticed no difference. With patience, you can get lovely finishes though.

I can’t comment on mixing with other mediums as I haven’t done this with them yet.

• Avatar Image doctorether1625p said 3 days, 22 hours ago:

So in my opinion;

- Fantasy range is more satin, the regular range is more matt
    - The regular range needs a lot more mixing before use.
    - The regular range has better pigment density which makes them great for base coats
    - I use Vallejo thinner for airbrushing with them with no issue.

Co-Host of the premier World of Darkness fan podcast http://www.darker-days.org
    Find my painted Kingdom Death stuff on BoW http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/painting/forum/topic/kingdom-death-a-gallery-of-my-stuff/
  • Avatar Image flancen14p said 3 days, 14 hours ago:

Are they good for blending? Would using a “normal ” for basecoat and then fantasy for layering work?:)