Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Star Wars Legion Hobby Blog

Beasts of War Homepage

Fantasy Flight Games World Championships 2018 Streaming Live May 1st to 6th - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 9 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Star Wars Legion Hobby Blog (66 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image collins225p said 1 month ago:

So Legion was released yesterday and like all devoted followers of the star wars cult from the sect of FFG i went down and handed over the latest taxation in exchange for plastic toys that i didn’t need but definitely needed. As its the end of the financial year i also have to use up my annual leave. so what else should i do?

PAINT!

i shall blog about it as i go and explain my methods and frustrations (urgh! stormtrooper armour is white! urgh!)

so strap yourselves in for an exciting time reading a mediocre set of posts from a bloke who doesn’t really know very much about painting!

so it all started in a plastic bag!

The first thing i did was build the models and start to base them. I am doing these as a jakku/tattooine theme force so i broke out the specially procured genuine tattooine sand! (ok i nicked it from a beach in mudeford and dried it out myself….but it is genuine sand!)

*edit*
    I’ve changed my mind and am now doing a ‘standard’ greenish theme because the gaming table at my local store is a green mat.

• Avatar Image captainventanus51p said 1 month ago:

@collins said:
    As its the end of the financial year i also have to use up my annual leave. so what else should i do?

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy!

the build was reasonably easy. everythig is push fit and goes together well with SUPERGLUE. I did feel it necessary to cut down some of the lugs though to make things easier, most notably on the missile trooper.

If youre not someone who is worried about mold lines this will not take you very long.

You will need to bend a few bits to get them in place but don’t be afraid of that, the plastic used is malleable enough to take that kind of manipulation.

The speeder bikes are easily the best model in the imperial set. mostly due to the cool factor. They came in several small pieces and the guide wasn’t idiot proof to build them but in the end they weren’t hard, just fiddly. Make sure you take note of the flight stands! they only fit in the speeder bike one way! you don’t want to have a speeder bike pointing the wrong way when you’ve finished with him! (or her, remember ladies in armour can be just as good at dying as men in armour)

when gluing with superglue do remember it is best to use a knife/scalpel to score all contact areas with a # pattern, it makes the bond so much stronger.

• Avatar Image a27cromwell91p said 1 month ago:

Any chance you could swap arm sets about with a little trimming of the lugs ?

@a27cromwell said:
    Any chance you could swap arm sets about with a little trimming of the lugs ?

I don’t think that would be a good idea, they are all different poses and would require quite a bit of work to make it look good.

so after a few hours here is the stage we’re at
    primed white!

citadel paint mechanicus standard grey used for all weapons, eyes, brows, and joins in armour where cloth would be seen.

the weapons were then drybrushed using necron compound.

the bases were painted using steel legion drab and then drybrushed terminatus stone.

the model was then washed using nuln oil.

now on to the tedious bit of highlighting the white armour….if you dont hear from me in a while its because i have died from boredom!

Also, everyone seems to be losing their minds over how large the ATST is in this game…. mine is smaller than the imperial assault one!!

• Avatar Image captainventanus51p said 1 month ago:

@collins said:
    now on to the tedious bit of highlighting the white armour….if you dont hear from me in a while its because i have died from boredom!

Having seen legions and legions of pristine Stormtroopers being painted over the past few months I have settled on painting up mine as having been through the wars.

• Avatar Image sotf75p said 1 month ago:

I’ve actually gotten a rather easy way to do the white armor of Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers.

I’ve had to brush prime since I don’t have an airbrush available at the moment and it’s cold & wet outside so no rattlecans for me either. I tend to use a paint thinned brush on primer (I didn’t want to start with a black, and the primer thins pretty well with some white paint, so I got a nice grey color).

Hit the armor areas with a heavy layer of white. You don’t need to be neat, but you want good coverage of the armor (You also want to hit the areas that will be lighter colors).

Then you go with thinned black acrylic ink. You want to focus on the various joints and any of the armor edges, but the entire armor getting hit isn’t a bad thing.

Then you use black paint for the larger black areas (Eyes and band, joints) along with the weapons, packs, pouches, ect.

Then you go back to white in order to bring the armor back up to the look you want.

Then you hit the details such as metal for weapons and the colors for the shoulderpad as you want to. Also the boot soles for the scout troopers should be at this point.

Follow that up with a bit of gloss if you want the shinier look for the troopers. Then finish your base and seal it in whatever order you want…

• Avatar Image koraski727p said 1 month ago:

That AT-ST might even be ducking low enough to dodge those Ewok swinging log traps! You could model the other one on its tip toes as it leaps over the rolling log trap!

@collins said:
    Also, everyone seems to be losing their minds over how large the ATST is in this game…. mine is smaller than the imperial assault one!!

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”

so today i managed to finish working on the two squads of stormtroopers. eventually will add some tundra grass to them or something but the painting is done!

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 1 month ago:

Fantastic effort to see them like this so quickly. Takes me weeks and weeks to get forces done!

Check out my fantasy miniatures game Deneb!
    Forum Topic
    Website
  • Avatar Image a27cromwell91p said 1 month ago:

Great paint job , I thought you said white was hard …