Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Turps’ hobby log

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 hours, 5 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Turps’ hobby log (23 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image deadturps36p said 2 months ago:

Hello everyone.

This is my first time posting on the forums, i’v been lurching round here for a while and have been inspired by some amazing stuff people post.

I used to paint and game many many moons ago (were talking 1999/2000 when I stopped!) and got back in to the hobby about a year ago. How far the hobby has come astounds me with the range and quality of the models and games that are avaliable now.

I got back in to the hobby playing bolt action but have now started exploring other games. I plan to use this hobby log to post what I’m up to with various things, be it minis, terrain or maybe just rants and rambles.

Any feed back, comments or criticism is very much appreciated as it will definitely help me improve on my hobby journey.

Iv just started building a couple of war bands for Saga and have just finished my Viking and Saxon warlords so this feels like a good place to start.

First my Viking Warlord

And the Saxon Lord

I feel pretty content with how they have turned out, well for now! I have a tendency to look at models a month or two down the line and feel overwhelming urges to repaint them!!

Thanks for reading!!

20171009_022437.jpg
    20171009_022414.jpg
    20171009_022505.jpg
    20171009_022349.jpg
    20171009_022320.jpg
    20171009_022244.jpg
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush766p said 2 months ago:

Really nice work, and welcome back to the hobby! The attention to detail is good, and your basing is really fantastic. I look forward to seeing more of your painting.

I started in the hobby seriously back around 1998, and I am astounded by how far things have come. The advent of digital sculpting and the wider acceptance of the hobby as a true art form have really pushed the models light years ahead of the stuff from the 80s and 90s.

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
  • Avatar Image 144artist442p said 2 months ago:

Way to return strong. Solid work and a nice eye to basing. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers @gorillawithabrush your most kind. The quality of minis these days really make them a joy to paint and the standard that people paint to, yourself included really pushes me to try and get better. Your so right things have jumped forward light years!

Thank you @144artist although I’ve had nearly a year of painting 28mm WW2 Americans to get my eye in. Some of my first were nothing to shout about! These were particularly fun as I’m sick to death of painting khaki and green uniforms so these were a needed change. Basing is something I really enjoy to. Setting the scene for a mini really gives it a place and sense of story.

Here’s a couple from a different project. This time Bolt action ss Germans. I finished these a while ago but I thought I’d post them anyway. Please excuse the crappy pics. Photographing minis is still very new to me.
    First up Jocheim Pipper from the battle of the bulge campaign book

Some heavy armour. I’m reality the greens are lighter and work quire well. Again dodgy photo skills, any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
    Happy hobbying everyone.

20171009_211552.jpg
    dsc_0168-01.jpeg
    dsc_01671.jpg
  • Avatar Image lancorz1121p said 2 months ago:

I think you’re going to do well in this forum with the detail you’re showing here :D

Twitter @Lancorz | Twitch Hiatus
    Community Manager / BoW Lead Editor

Cheers @lancorz most kind! I’m notorious amongst my mates at been crap when it comes to keeping up with social media stuff but I will endeavour to do my best at keeping this updated regularly!

• Avatar Image georgesealy182p said 2 months ago:

@deadturps a nice selection of figures – I particularly like the camouflage on the Panther and the (Oak Leaf pattern?) pants!

What are you using for mud?

Thanks @georgesealy I really enjoy painting the German camo schemes, tanks in particular. The pattern on the pants is my attempt at pea dot. I use effects paint from Wilder for the tank mud. Its just what my local hobby store carries but I think it works well.

• Avatar Image milmaa225p said 2 months ago:

OHH I really like the Viking! The whole thing is really nice, base too!

Very nice stuff!

Welcome to the posting on here! I was the same until i started, quite enjoy it now!

• Avatar Image deadturps36p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Cheers @milmaa I appreciate you kind words. I am enjoying posting on the forum and engaging with the community a bit more. There’s some awesome people doing some awesome stuff!!

• Avatar Image deadturps36p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Today is a momentous day for me. I have finally finished my US Bolt action army. All 100% painted and based. This project started me back in to the hobby and has taken me nearly a year to complete.

There are two halfs to the force. A US 82nd airborne force and a force of Us Army which are nearly all winter infantry and a ton of armour to boot. The force grew to its current size due to an arms race with my friend who plays Germans. It escalated quickly!!!

Permission to feel smug!!

The army in it entirety

The 82nd airborne

US Late war winter Infantry

Hell on wheels

20171016_160915.jpg
    us-tank.jpg
    us-2.jpg
    tank1.jpg
  • Avatar Image georgesealy182p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Oh wow, well done! Individually painted figures is one thing, but a finished army is a real achievement.

@georgesealy Cheers dude. I feel pretty chuffed with the army as a whole and very glad not to have to be painting any more olive/green uniforms!!!

Iv been working on something different over the past few days and it’s been a nice change.
    Iv had some walking dead all out war sets sitting around for a month and they’re now to shiny to ignore!

Walkers!!

Rick and Derek

Happy hobbying everyone!

dsc_01761.jpg
    dsc_0177.jpg