Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Wetpallet problem

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 9 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Wetpallet problem (13 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image flancen53p said 4 months ago:

Hey guys and girls, im having a bit of an issue with mu homemade wetpallet, the paints seems to be kind of too watery. To much water on the spongecloth? Wrong kins of parchment? I am using a cheap parchment for baking, unwaxed i believe:)

Or maybe the paint is supposed to be glazelike in a wetpallet? Or maybe i shouldnt thin the paints when putting it on a wetpallet?

• Avatar Image redben7894p said 4 months ago:

I suspect it’s too much water on the sponge. The wet pallet should thin paint, but it shouldn’t be too watery. Do you find you have any water pooling on top of the sponge?

• Avatar Image avernos1463p said 4 months ago:

Use waxed paper. It forms a membrane that stops the water mixing withe your paints.shiny side should face up and that’s what you apply your paint to. I have mine in a plastic box and I flood the water in so the amount of water shouldn’t effect it

“Daemons and Shit!” -BoW Lloyd 2017

Sophia Lives!!!

• Avatar Image yoshi447p said 4 months ago:

I never experienced water soaking through the baking paper and thinning the paint this way.

Maybe you re putting too much water in when thining the paint ?

Post a pic, maybe we get the clue then.

• Avatar Image craigwrdouglas520p said 4 months ago:

I use 2 or 3 kitchen towels folded into quarters in a sandwich box then pour off the excess. I was using baking paper, but found some wet palette paper in hobby craft, so got to make sure I was using the correct stuff.

• Avatar Image redben7894p said 4 months ago:

I use baking paper and do find that happening if there’s too much water in the sponge. As long as it isn’t pooling on the surface I have no issue.

Heres a pic, the blue paint has been restired a little:)

20170812_134324.jpg
  • Avatar Image deaddave4297p said 4 months ago:

This is the one I use, and I’ve only ever had that problem if I’ve used too much water, although i do usually over fill it first, and drain the excess away.
    I don’t usually bother using the keep wet paper and replace it with a thin sponge though.

You can always spot the obsessive detractors who need the world to know just how much they don’t like a thing other people like.
    ‘As far as this can reach.’
    When asked ‘how far Sparta’s boundaries stretched?’, King Agesilaus’ replied brandishing his spear.
    wp_20170115_008.jpg
  • Avatar Image seldon91726p said 4 months ago:

The immediate thought that springs to mind is did you get any water on the top surface? Maybe while putting it away? Otherwise when I’ve mixed paint with Vallejo’s retarder medium it’s sometimes gone a bit runny overnight on the palette.

Operation Battle Ready posted a video about how they use wet palettes recently:

That might give you some ideas. Though I should add I don’t boil baking paper before applying it. I use PP surface paper.

• Avatar Image yoshi447p said 4 months ago:

It looks like the water really soaked through the paper. Maybe try different paper or just a bit less water in the sponge.

Gonna try wiping of excess water, but i seems like one of the blues gone dry:/

• Avatar Image craigwrdouglas520p said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

I use the same paper as @deaddave for what it’s worth

• Avatar Image yoshi447p said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Keep us updated how things are going. Really curious where the problem is hiding : D