Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | What are you painting now?! 2018 (WAYPN)

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Nemesis Board Game kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 5 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

What are you painting now?! 2018 (WAYPN) (122 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image lawnor1155p said 6 days ago:

Its still not symmetrical even if there are 3 colours on each wing. They are still greatly different colours. I’ve done a google hunt and apparently all life on earth has evolved to have left/right symmetry. Here is a wiki list of all those without and you’ll notice that the difference is things like a beak bends a little to one side. This is probably why your phoenix looks so wrong to us. But its not a natural creature and its not on earth so you can do what you like, you’ll just always trigger our brains to notice something is wrong on a primal level. You’re avoiding your “verisimilitude”! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_featuring_external_asymmetry

nothing-starts-finished.png
    imga0310.jpg
    close-up2.jpg
  • Avatar Image brushstroke1563p said 6 days ago:

@caladors OK, I can see the second shade of blue in there now… so, like Lawnor says it must just be the asymmetrical colours of the wings that’s messing with my head…. nice blending though :)

You can also follow my painting jibber jabber on Facebook

• Avatar Image brushstroke1563p said 5 days, 23 hours ago:

@lawnor yes it’s just twisted copper wire.
    the thicker parts will be covered in air dry clay to enable the carving of bark texture. That gives a lot of rigidity to it. The thin threads at the end of the branches will get a coating of PVA glue, which doesn’t stop them being bending but does help with the sharp ends….. all in all they’re pretty robust at the end…. you cant just sling them in a box of other terrain and they’re not suitable for club use….but for me I don’t mind treating them carefully

• Avatar Image lawnor1155p said 5 days, 23 hours ago:

It does look like a display piece rather than general terrain. I’ll be interested to watch it come together.

• Avatar Image tonysilvey344p said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

@caladors I see what the others are saying. The rainbow idea is a good one but may be worth trying to grade front to back (Red head to Violet tail tip).

@brushstroke I’ll be interested to see how that tree comes out, it looks beautiful in it’s raw state. You must have used a fair few strands.

@georgesealy Don’t worry I have plans for a BRG car!

@hephesto That gold visor is a really good look.

• Avatar Image philth32p said 5 days, 20 hours ago:

Been working on this guy from Dark Sword Miniatures.

img_1832a-1.png
    img_1833a-1.png
  • Avatar Image averagepainter46p said 5 days, 20 hours ago:

Working on these for Blood and Plunder at the moment
    Blood and plunder militia
    Blood and plunder militia

• Avatar Image warbossd79p said 5 days, 19 hours ago:

Addition to my Wong Crew for Malifaux – Gracie

2018-01-11-172605.jpg
    2018-01-11-172616.jpg
  • Avatar Image waxer121p said 5 days, 18 hours ago:

@caladors I like the bird so far, don’t mind asymmetry.

@averagepainter very neat looking minis

My first two minis in 2018. I have to do some minor touch-ups and they will be done.
    Sgt Jonas Murdoch of Cygnar army

He is missing his backpack, but I’m hopeful I’ll find it somewhere in the bits box
    Grenadier

• Avatar Image dugthefug16441196p said 5 days, 17 hours ago:

Improved on my scouts. Happy. Could do more, but think that I have them at a reasonable standard and want to get onto other projects.

“He either fears his fate too much, Or his desserts are small, Who dares not put it to the touch, To win or lose it all!” James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose.
    20180112_193343.jpg
    img_20180112_194240_745.jpg
    20180112_193228.jpg
    20180112_193028.jpg
    20180112_192911.jpg
    20180112_192741.jpg
    20180112_192648.jpg
    20180112_192010.jpg
    20180112_192116.jpg
    20180112_192331.jpg
  • Avatar Image hephesto372p said 5 days, 13 hours ago:

@reaperfcrew – That is really cool being able to see the real thing up so close. Its little brother is looking stellar as well, great camo and weathering work on the body. The tracks and wheels are the real standouts for me though, the rust, grime and transitions are stunning.

@irishsteve – You’re a braver man than me, she’s huge! Digging where you are going with the skin, has a certain Giger-esque quality to it that really suits the sculpt.

@brushstroke – Saw this one pass by on Facebook as well, very characterful stuff. Should make for a great, thematic addition to the display, especially with those upcoming cherry blossom details ;-)

@caladors – Now that is quite an unusual colour scheme, interesting choice for such a dark creature. In Kingdom Death Monster, the rainbow tastes you ;-) See you also went in heavy with the greenstuff, had to do quite a bit of that on mine as well.

There’s a lot of potential there for all sorts of cool, colour wheel-centric shenanigans with this colour scheme on this one. Rather like the more ‘quetzal on steroid’ approach, almost has a latin american mythological feel to it. That or a 360 degrees painted bunting – https://www.google.nl/search?client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&biw=1680&bih=938&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=KE9ZWrilDJCP0gWN5Y2ADg&q=painted+buntings&oq=painted+buntings&gs_l=psy-ab.3…39767.41406.0.41712.16.14.0.1.1.0.99.572.8.8.0….0…1c.1.64.psy-ab..7.9.578…0j0i67k1.0.AqGJTZVBCQY
    One small thing though, I think the blue might be what is messing with people. Looking at traditional colour transition green tends to go from light blue, to dark blue, purple, pink and then red:

@tonysilvey – Thanks, converted the model inspired by Starcraft II’s Tychus Findlay. Rather predictable, but still very enjoyable semi-bad guy / bad ass.

He’s pieced together from a Warpath Peacekeeper armour suit, green stuff,plastic tubing and the extremely useful and fun clear plastic helmets from Bombshell Miniatures’ Counterblast range – http://store.bombshellminis.com/part-sprues/

@philth – Talk about presence, very cool sculpt. Not that I expect anything else from Darksword these days!

@averagepainter – Very striking colour schemes you have going there!

@warbossd – Such an amazing sculpt, talk about bringing character to the tabletop with a miniature. I do think the paintjob could benefit from a few extra (edge) highlights here and there, particularly the dark leather on the shoulders and some of the bigger metallic objects could make him pop even more. Great work either way, definitely a model you can proudly bring to the table!

@waxer – Nice to see a colour variant to the usual, almost Ultramarine Blue, Cygnar scheme. Nicely varied materials on the base as well, really helps give the models even more character.

@dugthefug1644 – Looking good there, all those extra details like the rivets, lenses etc. add a lot to the overall look of the unit. So what’s next, more DA stuff or perhaps something plague ridden?

Also managed to get a little bit of work sorted out this evening. Undercoating by hand counts as painting right? ;-) Finished the conversion work on the Matsudan Dreadball team and got them ready for real painting this weekend:

Not quite settled yet on a colour scheme, though I’m leaning towards a variant on their original concept art.

With team captain Raiden’s Onie mask loosely based of this design:

The referee and score trackers are also ready for paint, as is the quite awesome Hobgoblin team captain Graggot:

Also finished the basing prep work on the small Delgon force, who look quite cool all undercoated. Always love it when an undercoat brings all the different materials together.

It’s going to be interesting to combine the KalMalog strider with Roban the Hunter’s huge sculpt. There are definitely plenty of textures to work with on this big Enarii guy ;-)

2018 Hobby goals [ 15 / 76+ painted models].
    bow211.jpg
    bow221.jpg
    bow17.jpg
    bow15.jpg
    bow16.jpg
    bow18.jpg
    bow19.jpg
    bow20.jpg
  • Avatar Image caledor2176p said 5 days, 4 hours ago:

@caladors I wouldn’t mind the asymmetry on the phoenix. In a world like KDM it is good to see things that are different and that would mess with the mind of people.

• Avatar Image rowen8012p said 5 days, 3 hours ago:

G’day everyone. As daunting as it is to post things here I thought I’d get involved in what seems to be a most excellent forum. I’ve only recently got into mini games and thought I would pop up a couple of photos of my first attempts at painting.
    I clearly have a lot to learn however my goal this year is to practice, practice, practice and hell, maybe even play some. Here’s some of everyone’s favourite War machine faction..Cryx..
    Have been working on Denny1 and Aiakos scourge of the meridius.

Still getting my head around glazes, washes and all the other stuff to learn. Wet blending still alludes me but it’ll come.

Have a good day!

img_20180110_115019.jpg
    img_20180113_162830.jpg
    img_20180113_204056.jpg
    img_20180113_204042.jpg
    img_20170815_170414.jpg
  • Avatar Image lawnor1155p said 4 days, 16 hours ago:

Welcome, @rowen80 . Some nice work there. I would not have guessed that was your first stuff! You’ll get more love in the future if you include the pictures, not just the links, in your post. This video from Caladors will show you how to do it. If you click edit on your post you can still do this, but its definitely worth doing for future posts.

I’ve been unable to do any paitning for the last week as I’ve been waiting for supplies to arrive so I’ve done a lot of prep work for upcomming projects. I’ve assembled Brennos the Elderhorn. His horns don’t quite fit together so I needed to buy some Plastic Putty to fill the huge hole. However its inside the spiral in a hard to reach place so I don’t think I’ve been able to reach it to fill it and clean it properly. We will see once primer goes down.

I’ve built and based the remaining models I have for my Plague and Rebs for Deadzone. No one is attached to their base yet. I’ll prime and paint separately. The bases will be done with GW textured paint. The Plague will use Astrogranite, to give them a ruined rubble from an urban environment. The bits of plastic you see will be painted as rusting metal poking out from the rubble. The rebs will get Martian Ironcrust to give them a wild west feel that matches their leather trenchcoats.

Mantic’s older Restic models are horrible to work with. The material is really hard to clean up. No matter what I do I just seem to make things worse and the mould lines always seem to run through the worst possible areas. Then theres the bases. look at this nonsense. In the past I’ve gone with it and then the ring shows through the basing material quite often. This time around I tried my luck and took snips to the bases and somehow didn’t remove a single toe! I’ve then drilled in to their feet and pinned them to their bases.

As some of you may have seen I’m running a Hog (Should it be Hlog?) covering the building and painting of my Flames of War starter set that I won here last year. They are all built now. Tomorrow I prime everything and see what I can do while I wait for my paints to arrive.

I’ve also had this happen to one of my pots of glue. Thats as high as I can get the lid. It spins freely but it just won’t come off. Thankfully I’ve got a spare but theres still good glue left in there. Any ideas how to get the lid off? I’ve tried percussive maintenance and wedging a screwdriver up inside it and wiggling it about. How do people clean the nozzle of such glues? You can’t exactly wash it and wiping it with a cloth seems to make things worse. I’ve been scraping the build up off now and again but that hasn’t stopped the lid filling with crusty bits.

plague-rebs.jpg
    fow2.jpg
    brennos.jpg
    mantic.jpg
  • Avatar Image dawfydd1130p said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

Bit more progress on the Wolves today. blocked in most of the details, just need to touch up the main armour plates then ready for washes. That should be next weekend I think….
    (Also, WHHHHYYYY do I keep forgetting that I hate painting those triangular pack markings on Space Wolves? I can never get them looking uniform/crisp enough and still have 8 Packs with unique markings to do >_< …)