Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | What are you painting now?! Q4 2017 (WAYPN)

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 hours, 16 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

What are you painting now?! Q4 2017 (WAYPN) (174 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image caladors4591p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Good Evening ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to What are you painting now or WAYPN for short.
    I really hope to see you miniatures up in this thread

So what is WAYPN? It is a thread which is a hub for the bests of war community, not everyone can follow every single thread or community project. I have had many people say they just follow this, when doing your thing in here link to your thread :D So there is a large community behind it, and I am really happy to say one of the best communities on the internet, everyone here is super positive and I love that. What should you post/what should you expect? ANYTHING literally anything if it is nerd and hobby related it may find its way here. While yeah the greater majority of this is going to miniatures, we have had MDF terrain projects, chibis, Empire bike helmet, Mega man statue, Gundam mecha, Judge Dreads badge, a miniature terrarium, and full on table projects. That is just off the top of my head.

So do you belong here?
    Yes.

No ifs no buts no maybes, you belong here, you’re a nerdy guy or gal who has come in here and you liked what you saw, if your little anxious become a lurker and just thumbs up the projects you like. Every thumbs up you give will really make someone’s day, if you’re unsure about your project just put it up, don’t worry people here are cool, you will even get some good feedback. And if you can spare the time, please give feedback on other people’s projects that means the world to them and it keeps people coming back.

So welcome to WAYPN enjoy your stay.

Alright, now that is out of the way for the new guys I have something for everyone.
    This is something I always want to remind people.

Nothing Starts Finished

photo Nothing starts finished.png

——————————-

All of that turns into this.

——————————-

photo DSC01496.jpg

My entry for my third and perhaps final armies on parade project. I have won two before this, and I have high hopes for win? this one (the format has changed a lot). But the thing is that this, this is a lot of work, on this thread, there will be many painters who will blow you out of the water with what they have done. Absolutely floor you, but you know what see all those steps above, that is just a fraction of the work that has gone into it. Remember they didn’t make those because they are more talented because they can do what you can’t. How do I know? Well, I will tell you how I won, those last two. Just two things helped me win those.

Time

and

Effort

If you want to make something great, something that is truly awe-inspiring you can don’t compare yourself to some of these finished products and think I will never be able to. Look at all the steps they showed beforehand, look at how much work they put it. And then realise I can do that too, now all I need to do it put in. Time and effort, that is the difference between those who do and those that don’t that’s all. You can do it, and I want to see it, show the world how great you can be.

photo DSC_0197.jpg

photo DSC00970.jpg

There is only one person you need to believe in you to make what you want to happen, happen. They live in the mirror.

Alright guys that is enough waffle from me you know the drill by now and for you new guys say the sign off with me now :D

Keep those brushes wet :D
    I’ll see you later :D
    CYA

• Avatar Image laughingboy628p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

@Caladors great stream recapping Q3.

I managed to get some base colours down and a few washes.

img_3663.jpg
  • Avatar Image mage5078p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

I watched a good bit of the stream. A tad too long for me to do in one game but great effort man, thanks for doing it.

Right, I need to stop forum going, do house work and get my pale white a$$ painting.

Thanks for the feedback on the thread and as for @fishman and the facemask comment…. grumble grumble… I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for those darn’ kids.

Where is our resident grouch anyway? Haven’t seen him on the forum much. I need to find something horrendous on facebook to tag him on.

Finished work a while ago and after a bad nights drinking and two meals out, all I want is the company of the dogs, television, forum and miniatures and paint paint paint.

@caladors regarding feedback

I did more on the Undead but just with basing. Any specifics for the Spirit hosts? I know I need to take better photos, I might redo them and put them on their own army plog looking specifically for suggestions.

Re the Cybermen, they do look better than in the photos, but there is only so much you can go on doing them from cannon, as well as the Daleks. I’m tempted to get another set of each for the purposes of doing something creative and different.

Thanks for the kind words on Deathstroke. The two minis are very different, Deathstroke has a modern set of advanced Armour like a nifty batsuit, whereas his daughter, at least that particular sculpt is a more cloth outfit.

https://knightmodels-store.com/epages/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b/Products/35DC040

Compared to

https://knightmodels-store.com/epages/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b/Products/35DC126

Looking good @laughingboy what range are they from? Very sinister, love the bases!

Heat warning? Did you make that up @caladors or is that a thing warm countries get? We get weather warnings for severe rainfall, dense dog and wing. That ever happen down under or is it the stuff of legends / games of dungeons and dragons?

• Avatar Image milmaa222p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Finally got bit of hobby done today, Been working on some Custodes
    First up is this guy :)

rear pic just for @Lloyd

img_1294.jpg
    img_12973.jpg
    img_12961.jpg
  • Avatar Image soapdodger452p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Finished about an hour after the stream. Test pieces done and I am happy with the results, will now make more, sadly many more, hence the simple paint job.

Made more doors some open and a couple of more closed. now need to design and make some rooms and corridor types. This will hopefully give way to different paint jobs (need to write more of the RPG to give the setting some more depth.

Happy new thread!

wp_20171001_19_55_07_pro.jpg
    wp_20171001_19_55_25_pro.jpg
    wp_20171001_20_14_45_pro.jpg
  • Avatar Image dugthefug16441022p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Wanted to take a last pic or two of this guy to show him off a little better. Will work on him a bit more some day, but probably heading back to blood and plunder soon.

“He either fears his fate too much, Or his desserts are small, Who dares not put it to the touch, To win or lose it all!” James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose.
    20171001_200512.jpg
    20171001_200558.jpg
    20171001_200702.jpg
    20171001_200754.jpg
    20171001_200931.jpg

Would anyone mind giving me feedback on Clayface here? Not sure what to do next. Not too happy with the brown

View post on imgur.com

@mage difficult model to paint. I would increase the range of brown by adding a little khaki to the original brown paint and adding a layer possibly doing this another 3 times to increase contrast between the cracks and highlights. I would also paint the base in a cold colour to give you an idea of the finished product this may change what you do later.

The base will be a black rim but the ‘street’ and rock could be colder colours.

I don’t think I have a khaki paint. Mostly GW paint I have. If your familiar with it @soapdodger are there any citadel paints you’d recommend?

Would I drybrusb it or carefully layer it over? I’m kinda lazy.

• Avatar Image laughingboy628p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

@mage these are Scylla mostly from the Wolsung Skirmish game, highly recommend it coming off the back of the Bootcamp.

Finished the old lady and little girl on the stream this evening.

21557835_10212232064171563_3998198692072009482_n1.jpg
    22050021_10212232067211639_5916975656709897126_n1.jpg

The bootcamp looked cool @laughingboy

Scylla aren’t my favourite but I’m liking the look of the game

@mage looking at a conversion chart looks to be Zandri Dust. You could drybush each layer getting lighter in colour and amount of drybrushing.

Thanks @soapdodger I do have a lot of that around

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush548p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

NOTHING STARTS FINISHED! I love it.

Good day all! I got through listening to @caladors ’ third quarter WAYPN stream a bit ago, and I had some comments I would love to share to support his theme of making progress and understanding painting as a process (as well as some tips on blonde hair…haha). I will make three posts in a row to break things up (the first are comments on WAYPN, the second will be about blonde hair, and the third will be progress on the Ettin).

Buckle up…this might be long…haha

First of all, thank you again @caladors for all that you do for this community! I wish I could have joined the stream, but you started at about 4:00 am my time. I couldn’t quite drag myself out of bed early enough this week.

Second, @caladors mentioned the negative effects that can happen when you “compare up” – when you look at what you have painted and what a “better” painter has painted and you compare yourself to the “better painter” thinking “I could never do that!”

Let me share two “secrets” with you. First, ALL of us feel that from time to time, no matter our skill level. @caladors included me in the list of painters people shouldn’t compare themselves to because of my skill level, but I find myself every day looking at the works of Ben Komets, Stephan Rath, Camelson, etc. and have to fight the same kind of emotions that tell me “I can’t possible do that!” If you look hard enough, no matter how good you are at something, you can always find someone who is better (especially with the Internet allowing us all unfiltered access to the top 0.01% of painters in this world on a daily basis), even if it’s just in certain aspects of our hobby. As an analogy, even if Usain Bolt could beat every person in the world in a 100-meter race, he would get crushed at the 1600 meter race by many, many athletes.

Second, just like we all start every project with a bare miniature, we also all started our painting journey at the bottom of the mountain. Let me share the following image with you:

Those are the first ever models I painted. Anyone who thinks that my painting comes from pure talent should take a good, hard look at those models. I didn’t even know what primer was, I had no brush control, no knowledge of paint consistencies or color theory, etc.

So how did I go from there to here?

There is no great secret – just time, practice, and fearlessness! I am no different from anyone else. I have just spent a lot of time experimenting and learning.

If you find yourself getting in a rut, or want to challenge yourself to improve, try one or more of the following. These are the methods I have used over the years to progress in my own skills.

1) Buy some new paint colors, preferably from a company whose paints you’ve never used. Learning to paint with new colors or new paints gives you a better appreciation for how colors interact with each other (either next to each other on a model, or what happens when you mix them), and using new brands of paints helps you understand the best tools for different jobs and can push you to adopt new techniques to try to adapt to the new materials.

2) Find a tutorial, complete with color recipes, and try to mimic it exactly, especially if it’s a different style from what you normally do. In the end you will have learned something about colors and techniques that pushed you out of your comfort zone, which is a good place to be for learning new things. The worst thing you can do for improving is just keep using the same colors and techniques over and over and over. In the end you can take what you learned and modify it to make it your own to fit with your own preferences. [A similar piece of advice is to take classes at conventions or sit down with local painters who do good work and ask if they will show you what they are doing.]

3) Try something you think is beyond you. Be it freehand banners, tattoos, green stuff modifications, kit bashing, weathering, etc. You will never learn how to do these things without just doing them. I bet you’ll surprise yourself with how well it comes out, but in the end remember it’s just paint. You can always strip the model and start over. But the experience is priceless.

Never be complacent, but be happy in what you are doing. All of us can improve on something on every model we paint. So enjoy the process, learn from what you did, and be proud of your completed work while being honest with yourself about what you think you can do better next time.

Finally, I want to thank all of you for being part of this community and for keeping it a positive and helpful place to hang out and share our work. While it’s funny when @caladors scrolls past my pictures and says “Let’s not stay on that too long so that we don’t all feel bad!”, I don’t post here as a way to stroke my ego or show off. Posting on my plogs and in WAYPN is great inspiration for me to push through tough parts of a project. I get genuinely excited when I have new progress to add to a plog, and pushing to get things done in time for the weekly WAYPN get me pumped for my Saturday painting sessions. And I love when I do get constructive feedback, like tips on taking better pictures on my orcs a few weeks ago. But all of that only happens with an awesome, interactive, and supportive community like all of you!

So here’s to a great Fourth Quarter WAYPN – let’s see how many models we can all get done this quarter!

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com