Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Wolf and Girl – A Gorilla with a Brush plog

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Wolf and Girl – A Gorilla with a Brush plog (45 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush766p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

The cycle never stops!

Welcome to a new project log. I’m painting up this bust by comaccow_ke [Twitter handle]. It’s the largest scale model I’ve ever tried to paint. This is the full model (painted by someone else):

I started with the assembly, and I can already feel the challenges in painting her. The resin pieces feel solid as opposed to hollow, so the model is quite heavy. Not to mention the two halves (the girl and the wolf) are each too large to fit on my painting holders. So this will be interesting!

The girl is almost totally assembled, although I broke something off of her gun while cleaning the piece that I will need to fix.

The next night I got the wolf about 80% done and held them together to get an idea for how the model will look. I am a little disappointed with how a few parts are going together, and her arm doesn’t match up with the wolf totally correctly. I can try to fix it, but these pieces are very thick so it will be tricky. I might just leave it.

Anyone who has followed along with any of my work over the last year will know that I LOVE freehand painting. I try to put as much of it as practical on any model I paint because it’s something I really enjoy and it’s a way to put my unique stamp on a model.

Looking at this model it’s tough to spot where I can do this, though, The wolf is pretty much just fur. The girl has a large coat, but it would probably be a winter coat and not something super fancy that would warrant crazy freehand designs. I’m thinking of maybe painting her coat in a plaid/tartan pattern to satisfy my urges, something like one of the following.

What do you all think? Yeah or nay? Will it look good or will it look like she’s wearing her coat inside out?

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
  • Avatar Image spryte68p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

No I do not believe that you should paint the coat in any tartan pattern, it does not suit the model. if your looking to do some freehand painting on this model consider some kind of tribal markings on the coat or a tribal tattoo on the girls face.

Alea iacta est
  • Avatar Image caladors4876p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

it could work but I don’t think it would look right given the texture of the coat, I am going off the other guys paint job but taking a look at the coat it looks like it is meant to resemble leather.

You could do it on that small bit of skirt though

@spryte You are probable right.

@caladors Good idea! It just pains me to leave so much flat surface without any freehand, haha. [I do think it is supposed to be leather, but it is totally smooth on the model.] On the other hand, I will finish the model much more quickly! :D

• Avatar Image koraski683p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Google images of embroidered leather coats and go to town. You could go for full on bright colors or do an uncolored design which I think would be much more challenging.

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”

@koraski – Great suggestion! I just looked at a few, and they are really interesting. Hmmm….. :)

• Avatar Image noyjatat863p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

You could do a play on Little Red Riding Hood, have the girls coat red and the wolf black. It’s out there but I think the colours complement each other and it would be unexpected with a light meets dark feel to it.

@noyjatat That’s a great idea! :)

• Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

@noyjatat idea rules, maybe a red on red tartan kinda like the top left one you posted…?

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!

I was all settled to just try my hand at a really worn bomber jacket look to her coat, but this red riding hood theme has me really thinking…

You guys are awesome – I really appreciate everyone’s input and ideas!

• Avatar Image caladors4876p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

good luck with it I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it :D

• Avatar Image nakchak4290p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

@gorillawithabrush a worn red bomber jacket maybe? ;)

Think terminator 3 for texture

@nakchak – Yeah, that could work. I’ll have to research how that color leather looks when starting to show wear. I was also thinking of maybe a red corduroy coat.

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush766p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

The grind that is my work life is not totally over, but I finally got some time to return to this project! Here is the update from my first painting session – painting most of the girl’s face (I need to do her lips and maybe add a beauty mark or something) and blocking in some of the colors for the giant wolf.

Ultimately I kind of wanted to have more red in the cheeks with a paler face to indicate her being cold, but I am still pretty new to doing human flesh on these large scale miniatures and this is sort of what came out. I actually really like the subtlety in the tone shifts and shading and think it sort of fits an anime style miniature, so I think I will stop messing with it before I screw it up. Haha. :D

• Avatar Image araj said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Hi!
    Awesome miniature! Where did you buy it?