Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Wolsung Newbie to Ambassador

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Wolsung Newbie to Ambassador (18 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image marktarver26p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

I recently attended my first ever Bootcamp weekend for the Wolsung gamesystem. The bootcamp was such an amazing experience, meeting new friends and the BoW team.
    I fell in love with Wolsung and this forum/blog is my attempt to keep my enthusiasm going and to also share my journey.

I am a father of one, so time is precious to me, and I (like many) have shiny syndrome. I buy too many kickstarters, too many game systems that I just don’t play.

So this is also a way for me to try and dedicate my time to not only enjoy my rare hobby time, but also to try and get the Wolsung game better represented in the UK.

The bootcamp weekend for me, was the kickstarter to it all. Having the designer of the game there gave it a very personal touch. Unlike other games I own and don’t play, having met Luckasz I feel Wolsung and I have more of an understanding and a reason to put my time and effort in trying to support the game.

My aim is to progress from bootcamp virgin, to a Wolsung Ambassador.

This will need to include painting updates for two starter factions, terrain building, demoing games and probably a lot of pointless updates for anyone to read.

All of this is brand new for me.

If you are reading this, then feel free to contribute.

• Avatar Image trewets90p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Feel your enthusiasm for the game too, the bootcamp was epic! Luckasz was a saint he always had time for all the people to answer questions with not negatives and always upbeat ,wish there were more game designers like him!
    If you are ever down near Tunbridge wells in Kent let me know and will organise a game.

• Avatar Image bobcockayne134p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Well finished 1st home brew game, and players are reversing sides, as Alven Yard player felt he had a big disadvantage against Scylla!
    But the other player loved it and wants to build his own faction around inventors.
    Have begun my own based on the Artizan models Dick Dastardly (catch the pigeon incarnation) which has all the figures bit Muttley. Going to use one of the GW Age of Sigmar flying Dwarves for him.

Should have taken a left at Alberqurquie.
  • Avatar Image marktarver26p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

As part of the bootcamp weekend we got the “shanty town”, https://shop.microartstudio.com/en/scenery/390-xix-century-shantytown-5900232360116.html

I built these last night using normal wood glue. They went together really easily, with only a little care needed to get the pieces out of the sprue, and they gave off that lovely burnt wood smell.

I base coated them all using normal house paint, as I wanted a thick paint so if the hdf did absorb any paint I would still be left with a decent undercoat.

I then used Vallejo scorched brown on all of the wood sides, this took a couple of thin coats, I didn’t want to layer it on thick as I wanted to keep the buildings looking derelict

img_67571.jpg

Shack 1
    I used an army painter terrain brush and did a few layers of browns going lighter and lighter to try and get a wood type finish.
    I then used german camo beige brown mixed with dead flesh as the final tiny edge highlight.
    Again I kept the coats thin and left gaps to try to show paint peeling off the sides.

For the roof I base coated it in ruby red, and then thin brush of bright orange.

I mixed some green into a nuln oil wash to then try and give the roof a bit of a dirty look.

img_6755.jpg

Shack 2

For the next shack I wanted a bit more of a vibrant colour so went for a Vallejo electric blue.
    Again using the terrain brush from army painter I did two – three coats.

I applied the paint into the middle of the walls and then pushed it to the top and bottom, trying to show that the paint was coming away from the edges before the middle of the walls.

The door frames I just did in beige brown with a smokey ink wash

Once the blue was dry I used nuln oil to add a bit of streaky grime to the walls.

I was happy with the outcome and liked the grimey feel I managed to achieve.

img_6762.jpg
    img_6761.jpg

Shack 3 and 4 and trying to rotate pictures!
    The final shacks were done using the same techniques as the blue, but I went for a sickly green and an orange.

Overall I think they came out well. I want to add some posters (dowloadable from the wolsung-ssg website) to give them a bit of in world character.

Next step will be to tackle the roofs

img_6763.jpg
    img_6764.jpg
    img_6760.jpg
  • Avatar Image marktarver26p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Roofs

After a few busy days, I have finally managed to complete all the roofs for the huts.

For the tile texture, I did a base coat of ruby red, followed by a wash of smokey ink, then light dry brushes of red/orange 50:50 mix with a final bright orange highlight. Where it was a bit bright I washed it again with a diluted nuln oil

The metal roofs, I block colours in brass, silver and bronze, washed with smoky ink and left to dry. I tried a few streaks of turquoise to show the bolts rusting and leaking down the slope of the roof.

img_6766.jpg
    img_6768.jpg
    img_6767.jpg
    img_6769.jpg
    img_67701.jpg
  • Avatar Image mage5078p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Looking great @marktarver glad to see you enjoyed the bootcamp and are having a very positive and happy experience moving forward. I’m gonna watch this thread with enthusiasm.

My advice to keeping enthusiasm going is to have a minimum work requirement. Say, an update each and every Monday morning, or whatever day and time, but stick to it religiously. Even if you dont get any hobby done, write a post about your thoughts on the game or something you’ve seen online this week about it which you found cool.

• Avatar Image marktarver26p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Good advice @mage . thank you.

• Avatar Image mage5078p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Hope it helps! :)

• Avatar Image silverskates12p said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Really nice looking stuff there. Sadly, I haven’t even taken my shanty town out of the packaging. I have painted my Hans Great though.

• Avatar Image silverskates12p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

If anyone is interested, a couple of us who attended the Bootcamp have set up a fan group on Facebook for Wolsung called “Lyonesse Calling”.

• Avatar Image marktarver26p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

When life gets in the way

Very little time to get any Wolsung hobby in since my last post. I did however get a weekend of boardgame playing in. I really enjoy the tabletop gaming experience with a really good social drink and chat alongside.

The highlight for me was Kingdomino – a brilliant kingdom building game that takes only about 15minutes to play and only needs one intro game to pick up the rules. Really good fun allowing for lots of chatting and not just a table of silent gamers thinking about their next moves.

Mini Time

I also managed to get a fun game of Rumbleslam in. This is a brilliant light hearted minis game of wrestling. Who doesn’t want to see a werewolf jumping off a turnbuckle onto a goblin!

So with a game in mind I managed to paint up said werewolf:

Source Images

Do not worry though Lukascz, I did think of Wolsung as I was out for a walk. By the time of writing my package from Poland containing an awesome warehouse kit will be in the postie’s van. With that in mind I was out and about and saw a brilliantly run down bridge, so stopped to get a couple of pics for reference of rust, which I want to try and use for painting up my warehouse terrain:

Closing comment

Not so happy with Wolsung progress, but happy that I got some tabletop time in. Now just to wait for the family visits to finish and I can crack on with getting my maids and butlers painted up.

img_6805.jpg
    img_6810.jpg
    img_6811.jpg
    img_6812.jpg
  • Avatar Image lancorz1032p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Slow progress is still progress, loving the commentary and can’t wait to see the paint work from the bridge inspiration.

Twitter @Lancorz | Twitch Live Tue/Thur 8pm GMT
    Community Manager / Editor Extraordinaire