Beasts of War | Groups | Pulp Punk Horror & Weird Gamer Town Square | Forum | What makes Batman, Batman?

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Pulp Punk Horror & Weird Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 2 days, 7 hours ago

General Pulp Punk Horror & Weird Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything Pulp Punk Horror & Weird and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Pulp, Punk, Horror, Weird, Weird World War, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

What makes Batman, Batman? (65 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image badgerthebrave9p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

With the announcement of a new Batman game from Monolith, I was wondering, what would make this one stand out from the crowd of other Batman games…

My first thought is that it needs to feel like Batman.
    1)There needs to be stealth. This gives way to great strategy, picking off the weak enemy’s and busting into a room, taking out a group.
    2)There needs to gadgets. Explosives. Drones. Tripwires.
    3) Inner monologues. Nothing beats the sound of a gravelly voice, explaining why you do, what you do, before you do it.

What are your thoughts?

• Avatar Image mage4523p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I think how Monolith execute a project with rules, games design art and sculpts will do it justice (tee hee) because there are a lot of ways for a company to screw up a game or not get something right. If they do the Mythic Battles: Pantheon treatment to this game then there is nothing to worry about :)

(1) Not all characters do use Stealth in the Batman ‘Mythos’ but it is a valid point. Its probably something you should lave as a suggestion on their facebook page for them to take on board if it isn’t part of the game yet

(2) I remember all the gadgets in the Batman Forever video game for… was it the Megadrive or the Snes. Lots of stuff to draw on with this point, even with the bad guys (Joker’s various weapons and equipment, Mr Freeze, League of Assassins/Shadows ninja gear, so on and so forth)

(3) That might be a tall order lol. Youtube for compilations?

Tell me something…. do you roll dice? YOU WILL

• Avatar Image redben7469p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Those criteria make me think of the Arkham series of video games, which are certainly one currently popular way of presenting Batman, and they informed BMG. But as for what makes Batman, Batman, that’s a very much broader church.

@redben said:
    Those criteria make me think of the Arkham series of video games, which are certainly one currently popular way of presenting Batman, and they informed BMG. But as for what makes Batman, Batman, that’s a very much broader church.

Why doesn’t Batman dance anymore?

• Avatar Image avernos942p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I’m fairly certain that two murdered parents, access to practically unlimited funds and a guardian with very lax attitudes to child safety is what makes batman batman. *bat dances away*

Sophia LIVES!!!

Wargamers are like smokers, get them hooked young and they’re yours for life!

To be fair the guardian has been a retired serviceman in many iterations, might be a mental health issue there rubbing off on the boy.

An interesting confrontation from the Earth 2 New 52 comic on Dr Thomas Wayne, a character in this setting I really enjoyed:

http://www.cosmicteams.com/jsa/_new-52/profiles/images/batman-earth-2-annual-2.jpg

• Avatar Image badgerthebrave9p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@mage said:
    Why doesn’t Batman dance anymore?

(i do, but keep stumm)

• Avatar Image brianfowler713156p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Glorification of plutocracy and class warfare, with a fascist mentality?

• Avatar Image lordofuzkulak420p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@mage said:
    To be fair the guardian has been a retired serviceman in many iterations, might be a mental health issue there rubbing off on the boy.

Fairly sure it’s all but canon now that Bats is mentally ill. At the very least the 90s animated Batman is considering one time he figured out he wasn’t going crazy because the voice in his head in that episode called him ‘Bruce’ instead of ‘Batman’. And that’s not to mention another (comic) continuity where his Rogues’ Gallery is actually Alfred’s old acting troupe that he’s enlisted to play the part of costumed criminals to feed Bruce’s delusion.

And in general, lets face it you have to be a bit nuts to think the best way to fight crime isn’t using your vast wealth to clean up the system, fund more secure prisons and fund improvements to the mental health system, but rather to go around beating up criminals while fursuiting.

• Avatar Image judge201426p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

I recommend that you read the following to answer the question about what makes Batman, Batman:

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman: Endgame

I am interested in the new game and hope that it shall not bust the bank. I would be interested in Knight models stuff but they appear to be way expensive….

@brianfowler713 said:
    Glorification of plutocracy and class warfare, with a fascist mentality?

Someone got laid in college :p Essentially accurate though. Some Batmans being more totalitarian than others, look at the 1980s Dark Knight stuff.

@lordofuzkulak Yeah a lot of subtle and not so subtle implications and down right spelled out in the Batman stories going back quite a while now. It’s mentioned in Gotham, to a degree in Batman V Superman and a lot of the recent comics in the New 52. This sums it up well from the Forever Evil arc:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/92932/3632496-bat+yellow.jpg

So Batman first, Bruce second? There was a piece in one comic where Joker is hospitalised and medicated to be ‘normal’ (ish) and Bruce sneaks in in costume but not as Batman. Joker recognises him but is pretty chill and talks with him a bit and expresses a little annoyance and asks him to ‘put on his real face’, after which he suits up as Batman. My search fu is weak at the moment but stuff like that really makes a lot of cool implications and discussion points about Batman.

I like the delusion one you mentioned, that sounds like a fantastic read.

Definetley a victim of psychosis. I think the 90s Batman and the Christian Bale one mention to eliminate crime you have to attack its source: poverty… and something else… was it a lack of education or something? I agree on what you say, but i think the general idea was that Gotham is so bad that the policing wasn’t efficient or the system fails and that’s why Batman done it, but that point could be debated back and forth for ages. I just love DC comics and could type and talk about it all day.

@judge2014 I must check those out. I’m a fan of the New 52 Earth 2 Batman myself. KM is expensive but the crew sets are cheaper than seperate buys and I like the game and models, but casting can be an issue.

• Avatar Image lordofuzkulak420p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@mage: I’m firmly in the camp that Batman is the ‘real’ one and Bruce is the ‘mask’, partly because I m also a believer of Clark is the real one and Superman is the mask (one of my favourite quotes on the latter comes from the 90s Louis and Clark to show and goes something like “Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do.”) and like the contrast.

The delusion one was part of Neil Gaiman’s “Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader” book. For those who don’t know the premis is that Batman’s friends and enemies have gathered in Crime Alley for his funeral, and each tells a story about him, but there’s discrepancies (e.g. Catwoman’s story looks to be set in the forties, Alfred, as mentioned above, tells a story where Batman is just a delusion of Bruce’s, etc). All of this is watched by the ghost of Batman who is initially confused by the descrepancies until he starts to fade away and cross over…and gets reincarnated as a new Bruce Wayne. Turns out every single version of Batman is actually the same person; he’s born, gets eight years as Bruce until his parents get gunned down in front of him, then grows up and spends the rest of his life as Batman, dies, and starts the same thing over again in another universe with no memory of it. Death or the angel with him during the funeral or whatever the spirit with him is sums it up as “Your reward for being Batman is you get eight years of happiness as Bruce Wayne” (or something along that line).

On the corruption of the system being a barrier and hence why he has to be Batman. While it’s true Gotham is a corrupt and failing system, remember he’s one of the (if not the) richest men in the world, so he could probably out buy everyone else in the city and use that to purge the system and put selected officials in place as an interim until elections or whatever come up and non-corrupt officials can be voted into office. The DCAU one at the very least has ludicrous amounts of money – in the Justic League cartoon he was able to hide the construction costs of a space station that makes the current ISS look like something Blue Peter built in Wayne Enterprises’ aerospace budget (and considering the other JLers were surprised to see it it’s not as if he saved money by getting Superman and Green Latern to take the parts into space and assemble it themselves).

@judge2014: in addition to what Mage said, it’s entirely viable to run just Batman or Deathstroke for small level games if you want to save money (although even then that works best if the other guy is running a gang; think one on one wouldn’t be that entertaining). Also remember independent retailers give discounts so you can save money buying off them rather than direct from Knight.

• Avatar Image torros3359p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

It has Batman in it?

• Avatar Image mecha822156p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

There is more to Batman than they can show in games like him doing some actual detective work and being world’s greatest detective. Remember he is supposed to be really smart instead of just going around and taking people out like Frank Miller’s version acts while being all arrogant towards other heroes. .