Beasts of War | Groups | Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square | Forum | 8th edition book vs primer?

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 8 hours, 5 minutes ago

General Sci-Fi Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything sci-fi and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

8th edition book vs primer? (13 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image flancen37p said 2 months ago:

Hi there, i wonder, rulewise, whats the difference between the big book vs primer, are they better explained or whats the deal with the book?:)
    Seems like the primer and a index will get you far:)

• Avatar Image mecha822163p said 2 months ago:

Primer only has core rules while big book has some more advanced rules as well along side with scenarios and tactical objectives. And of course big book also has all fluff. In fact most of big book is fluff and pictures with about 1/3 being rules.

• Avatar Image dogma2097426p said 2 months ago:

If you were looking for the most budget friendly way into 8th, maybe use the Primer and pick up one of the Indexes. £15 and you can start building armies and playing with your models (only a couple of stats included in either rulesets).
    If you think, “yeah, 8ths for me” then get the Rulebook as it has LOTS more in it for fighting different battles etc.

The less budget friendly, but lowest “complete” way of physically getting the most out of it all is the Rulebook and all Four Indices – I always find it handy to know what my enemy can bring. Be prepared, however, to continue the book hell of trying to keep up with every new Codex that will come out subsequently. The Indices are good/bad – good as your army is still relevant, bad as they probably will not be useful for too long if you plan to remain “current”.

Making noises, using colours, and generally continuing to exist.
    Follow @dogma2097 everywhere there’s an internet thing going on. Mostly Twitter.
    Pronounced “Dogma-Twenty-NinetySeven”
  • Avatar Image limburger1552p said 2 months ago:

You only need all indices if you don’t know anyone who has any of the armies and want to see what a faction can do.

I doubt we’re going to see any real stat changes for units in any of the upcoming codexes.
    However you will get more of the fluff and detailed information about various units and the faction itself. I also suspect that there are going to be faction specific stratagems and other optional rules.

The planned on-line wiki/faq may be a more cost effective method of keeping up-to-date.

@dogma2097 there are 5 indices : two for humans, two for xenos and one for chaos.

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente

Well then, what is the mire advanced rules? Tank shock?:)

Rules for Battle Forged armies, rules for terrain and rules for different types of games like Cities of Death and Planetstrike. There is no tank shock anymore as now tanks also fight in close combat.

• Avatar Image angelicdespot897p said 2 months ago:

@flancen It looks to me as thought the core rules are really just that: the bare minimum you need to understand what to do each turn in a game – used in combination with the stat cards / data slates.*

The big rule book has info on setting up games, picking armies – all the stuff that goes ‘around’ the game. It also has lots of rules for customising games: rules for terrain, using points values, scenarios, etc.

The core rules will enable you to understand how to play, but if you’re going to want to set up games, my guess is that you’re going to need the main rule book. You’ll be able to get by without it to begin with, but if you enjoy the game and want to experiment a bit, you’ll probably want to get it sooner rather than later.

*Just to clarify, advanced rules does NOT mean ‘take the existing rules and make them more complicated by adding things like additional special rules or anything else that makes the game itself more detailed turn to turn.

• Avatar Image waxer32p said 2 months ago:

Primer is just that – to prime you for playing 40K. If you are veteran player, or you plan to play actively, you will need rule book. Except rule book, most of the other material from launch (indexes, tactical objective card, even command dices) will become more or less obsolete because every new codex will bring faction specific stuff with it.

What I find interesting about big book is that they chose to put fluff and all other non-rules related stuff before rules when in past when ever they had both in same big book it has been other way around.

Thank you for all the interesting answers.
    Any of you that can comment on the speed of the game? Is 8th faster than 7th?

• Avatar Image waxer32p said 2 months ago:

My first game (1500 points) lasted for 3 hours. Considering it was my first game of 8th, I think it is a little bit faster then 7th, but not as fast as I expected. You can find battle report and comments on my blog :) .

• Avatar Image ckbrenneke309p said 2 months ago:

The 8 pages of rules in the primer are exactly the same as the 8 pages of rules in the main rulebook. The entire primer is copy-pasted from the rulebook. If I read the primer and you read the rulebook, we’ve both read the exact same rules and can play at the same level. As has been said, the advanced rules section in the main rulebook add expanded terrain and battlezone rules, detachments and the full scenario and objective options. None of these impact on the core rule mechanics.

Played 2 games of 40k 8th so far and they took about 3 hours – well, longer due to fannying about and chatting, as well as checking rulebooks and index books. I know that can come down significantly with experience of play and getting familiar with your units’ stats.

• Avatar Image limburger1552p said 2 months ago:

All we know for sure is that this will be obsolete in the inevitable 9th edition … :-P
    What the codexes will do to the index books is unknown.

I kind of hope the changes will be minimal and that GW does something to make it less costly (we can always hope ;-) ).