Beasts of War | Groups | Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square | Forum | Few vs many

Beasts of War Homepage

Forge of Destiny Facebook - Click Here

Group Admins

Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 1 day, 8 hours ago

General Sci-Fi Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything sci-fi and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Few vs many (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image caesar1065p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Hi yall.
    My new years resolution is to try lots of new games systems and rules , mostly proxying my existing armies cos like most people I’ve got a bunch of fantasy and SCI FI stuff lying around.

One this I’m interested in is whether there are any games in which small elite forces take on hordes. A starship troopers or spec ops type thing.

I was wondering if your collective knowledge of wargames brought anything to mind.

• Avatar Image bvandewalker29p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Well, pretty much ever zombie skrimish out there. Could try “Bug Hunt” and “Body Guards”, I think that is their names, try them on a search engine with the words “miniature war game” after them. there is also a game called shock force that I hear is really good, as to fantasy there is frost grave but you could also play the newer D&D or try Song of Blades and Heroes. I recommend checking out Wargamer’s Vault on Oneshelf, they have all sorts of games you can try.

• Avatar Image torros4270p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Stargrunt 2 which is a free download from gzg could cater for this. Better troops have better range brackets than the horde eh an elite with a rifle might have a short range band if 0-20 inches whereas a green troopers short range with the same weapon might be 0-6 inches. We have played a few SAS Vs insurgent type games and worked well

• Avatar Image caesar1065p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Cool. I’ll start working my way through these. May take some time. It hadn’t occurred to me to use role playing rules to do few v many. That’s some outside the box thinking

• Avatar Image elessar2590434p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Check out Force on Force. Especially the “Day of the Rangers” book it has some awesome scenarios

• Avatar Image sotf37p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Technically, Ronin could pull this off with the right factions.

While it’s nowhere near designed to do it, the peasants buntai can pretty much swarm the rest of the groups. You can have something like 50 peasants when most forces tend to tap out around 10-12 as a “large force” and with the samurai force you might have 6 or so in total.

However, if you want to keep playing, don’t go with the unupgraded peasants list because no one will really want to keep playing with you because it’s not a fun list for anyone to play against…

• Avatar Image davehawes316p said 2 months ago:

I actually think the Wrath of Kings system has several really nice mechanics for small forces vs large forces. The way they handle activations and morale score for victory and ganging up in combat all of them work really well together to balance our the advantages of a few powerful models against many weak models. Though not quite the setting you might be looking for. I picked up sedition wars a while back, which has that kind of theme and setup, but I’ve not played it yet so couldn’t say if it fits the bill or not.

Check out my skirmish game Deneb! –
  • Avatar Image bvandewalker29p said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Oh, and if you want starship trooper there have been a couple game books based on that franchise including mongoose’s offering which was loosely based on the Roughneck cartoon show. I own that book, but I would look for some reviews first since it seem more in the vain of 40k style battles. But you really should check out Wargamer’s vault, you’ll find all sorts games that cover what you are looking for.