Beasts of War | Groups | Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square | Forum | Kulathi Strike Force

Beasts of War Homepage

Fantasy Flight Games World Championships 2018 Streaming Live May 1st to 6th - Click Here

Group Admins

Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 5 hours, 21 minutes ago

General Sci-Fi Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything sci-fi and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Kulathi Strike Force (25 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image boaz142p said 1 month ago:

A work in progress, when I saw them I knew they had to become a battle group … Reaper minitures Kulathi miniatures with a lil help from their hounds of Tindalos and maybe some Bathalians to back up the Kulathi forces … possibly some Kyromek skimmer transport / armor …

The force so far …

https://postimg.cc/gallery/o85751dy/

Don’t let the odd sounds and their strange smell put you off … they can pack a real punch in a pitch.

Min-Maxing the mathhammer since 1st edition.
  • Avatar Image boaz142p said 1 month ago:

The force so far …
    The comander and/or a high comander … able to activate extra units and with upgrade observers options. …

The combat medic, laying down fire wail healing up allies …

Forward orbital bombardment observers … calling in off table artillery or the big guns, with shared fire solution options …

Strike force , the basic Kulathi unit , no other unit type may exceed the base unit type in number. The strike force is basically 4 smg and 2 BAR …

The fire squad is basically 2 smg and 4 BAR

The hound squad will have 2 smg and 4 hounds, for extra assault goodness.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

When a monster with tentacles surrounding their maw also wields a gun, you know you are in trouble!

Check out my fantasy miniatures game Deneb!
    Forum Topic
    Website
  • Avatar Image boaz142p said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

I don’t see them as a major galaxy wide force, but a strong regional element, with a mysterious backer helping to arm them, and thus destabilize the area around them … part of a larger proxy war or cold war maneuvering by larger galactic forces.

They are also not the most hygienic race as to them eating and excretion are as natural as breathing and don’t think twice about when and/or wear … thus they smell bad, are hard to talk with unless in the open, (you don’t want them in your ship and really don’t want to go into their ship) this and other behaviors have alienated them from most other races, so they view all outsiders with caution.

A minor threat easy to avoid till someone started arming them and prompting them to push their borders … they are now contesting a few colony world’s around their little corner of the galaxy but if left unchecked could grow into a real problem.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 4 weeks ago:

Sure I saw a sci-fi short recently about an advanced gun runner selling guns to a bunch of insectoid creatures of a lower tech level who were starting to get a bit warlike with their neighbours. Wish I could recall where I saw it.

Great ideas for background for a force though.

• Avatar Image boaz142p said 4 weeks ago:

“Good Business” ? The movie “District 9″ also comes to mind.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Good Business, that was it!

• Avatar Image boaz142p said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

It all started in a galaxy far far away … and another one far far away just to the right … and another one not so far away but a little more to the left …

A universal table top system that could point out any force you wanted to play … you want an Utopian Union with some Mantic Reds, and some CP models Alien Federation mixed in with a few Zombie smith A7D12 aliens , for a mass mixed alien force … great point them up …

Want to field an Alien Aliance with each unit one alien type … Co bolt Ar-men unit with CP models Avian units, WH40K Kroot unit or two … great, point it up.

Mars Attack martians as the Mar-shoon empire … I-Kore Syntha combine … you got it you name it … great , point it up and hit the table … each local gaming group is their own galaxy with their own mix of races … and their own range of RPG options.

Working on a smooth system that has a lot of table top ‘feel’ but not a lot of rules … that sleek/complete balancing act that is tough to hit, and yet model independent.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

I’ve always loved factional themes in mechanics, something that ties a force together both narratively and mechanically. The commander training thing in WoK sort of works for that, and I’m not familiar with 40k’s more recent editions, but it sounds like stratagems might fulfil a similar role. Would be cool to have some kind of point buy that adds some shared trait to all troops or something along those lines.

• Avatar Image boaz142p said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

If each archtype had its own point lists the you would make army themes very point viable , wail still having oddball option (on the more costly side) …maintaining build freedom wail rewarding traditional archetypes …

Army wide upgrades could be as simple as archetype mods, pros and cons added up to find the force final colum on the troop cost chart … a basic spreadsheet fore each archetype … hoard, gun line, scoot’n'shoot, Uber vets , ect …

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Yeah sounds like it could work, cool ideas.

• Avatar Image boaz142p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Anyone remember Champions the Super RPG … buy your power then applie you modifiers for a shift up or down in cost … a simpler yet simular system might work for weapons / defence / basic troops … added together for total cost …

On a side note , I replaced the squad photos with a better more consistent set of photos … not pro … but better lighting for this old phone.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I don’t recall Champions, but the concept sounds solid. GURPS was one of the best systems I’ve ever seen for flexibility, but whilst it was quite smooth in play, actually creating character, vehicles, abilities and so on when pointing up was a lot of work. It could be a lot of fun if you are into that sort of thing, but it was too much heavy-lifting for a lot of people who just wanted to stat-up and play.

• Avatar Image boaz142p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Yeah, a smooth Stat cost chart can be tricky … my point system for FUBAR was longer than the rules themselves … and fubar is not known for a lot of stats …

Where dose not enough end and too much start … too much or too little game and/or build and the target is missed. Where is that sweet spot.

P.S. I shot a new set of pics for the force with better lighting and replaced the original ones.

• Avatar Image davehawes386p said 3 weeks ago:

Yeah, it can be hard to balance for sure. Are there any generic sci-fi systems out there already? I can’t say I’ve ever really looked properly.

The force is looking great, I love the shots of the KuHound.