Beasts of War | Groups | Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square | Forum | Point Buy Systems

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 8 minutes ago

General Sci-Fi Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything sci-fi and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Point Buy Systems (6 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image moji6p said 3 months ago:

My favourite thing in any game system is the POINT BUY SYSTEM which allows you to dust off your unused minis (let’s face it, we all have loads) and very quickly make stats for them in the game. I wish more games had a point buy system.

Two games that DO have a PBS are Deep Wars (antimatter games) and Wasteman (thunderchild miniatures).

Deep Wars has absolutely stunning miniatures and is fully supported with expansions and regular product releases. Any fan of steam punk under sea battles should check this game out. There’s also a version of the game (Shadow Sea) based on land for those who don’t have their sea legs.

Anyone into post-apoc tongue-in-cheek games will wanna check out Wasteman by ThunderChild Miniatures (www.tcminiatures.co.uk). The system is super simple and games very quick. The minis are 35mm and have a unique twisted style to them.
    TCMinis have done several KickStarters and still fully support all their games, which are also fully compatible with each other.

Do you have any games with Point-Buy-Systems that you can recommend?
    cheers
    Moji

wmlogo.png
  • Avatar Image original0timmy84p said 3 months ago:

I’ve not played Deep Wars but do have some minis for it but I have played Wasteman and love the simplicity of it and the M.A.D cards make it one great game, like you say its great that you can use any minis in it, since the 1st Wasteman KS I’ve been collecting some weird and wonderful minis to use in it,

There are a few other games that allow you to use your own minis like Frost Grave and Fabled Realms which has just had a successful KS, I’m sure there are a few other games that allow it too.

• Avatar Image lee337179p said 3 months ago:

I think more people will be moving to game systems like this ,it’s a very logical step for people that already into Miniatures gaming.

• Avatar Image angelicdespot981p said 3 months ago:

Dream Pod 9 used to have a system for building and pointing your own forces – especially Gears (i.e. light mechs) for Heavy Gear. But it’s been quite a number of years since I’ve played so I’m not sure what edition of the rules they’re on now or if they still enable you to make your own stuff.

It was a fantastic setting though – one I would highly recommend.

• Avatar Image shinygames149p said 3 months ago:

Heavy Gear Blitz – the main Heavy Gear miniatures game – doesn’t have the same full points build that the original system had, but there is a fair bit of customisation allowed, especially for Duellist characters. Heavy Gear Arena uses the same miniatures though and allows you much more flexibility. They are great games though and as you say the setting is amazing and has so much depth to it.

In terms of mecha games, BattleTech certainly retains the full build system that it’s had for as long as I can remember.

Shiny Games Because your gaming doesn’t have to be grim and dark
  • Avatar Image moji6p said 3 months ago:

Interesting! I’ve heard of Heavy Gear and, of course Battle Tech. I’ve only played the very simplified version of BTek that was released a few years back. It was pretty fun. I’ll definitely check out Heavy Gear Arena as I don’t have any mech games right now.
    Thanks!