Beasts of War | Groups | Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square | Forum | Star Trek Discovery

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Sci-Fi Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 4 hours, 35 minutes ago

General Sci-Fi Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything sci-fi and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Star Trek Discovery (79 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image torros3671p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Well no one else seems to have posted about it so here goes

Watched episode 1 last night and enjoyed it. Not sure about the new Klingon look but the show looks like it will have promise

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5017p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

I haven’t watched it yet but probably will. It’s had quite a controversial history so far, it’s certainly divided opinion on my Facebook feed. I’ll probably watch it though and most likely enjoy it, I tend to also have controversial opinions when it comes to sci fi (I liked the Star Wars prequels, I thought Force Awakens was garbage). One thing I didn’t realise though, is just how convoluted the Star Trek IP in terms of who owns what. I believe it’s split between two companies who both have rights to different things.

• Avatar Image koraski667p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

There is also a tabletop gaming license for the original series that’s still active. Star fleet Battles as well as at least one RPG have been produced on that license.

In regards to the new show, I read only the first 2 episodes will air. If you want to see the rest you NEED to subscribe to the network’s streaming service.

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”

I think that’s only in America. The Rest of the World can see it on Netflix and there enough ‘ naughty TV streaming sites’ if you need them

In the UK it’s advertised as a Netflix original so unsure why it’s not on it in the US

• Avatar Image dane001227p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

I’ve got it in my watch list ready, problem is I hate having to wait for shows now and have turned into a bit if a box set binger. I’m tying to hold off till there’s more episodes, I’m already struggling and its only been a day!!

• Avatar Image original0timmy80p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

I watched the trailer the other night and it certainly looked good, Il definitely be watching it when I get the chance, I’m also not keen on the new Klingon look!

• Avatar Image mecha822231p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Well least based on trailer it seems interesting enough. And this comes from some one who while likes some Star Trek has never been Trekkie. So far only Star Trek series that I really like is DS9 but that’s mostly because it’s so similar to B5 that I happen to be huge fan of.

DS9 was my favourite of the shows in 90′s as well

• Avatar Image warzan9783p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Watched both episodes last night and really enjoyed it, took about 20mins to settle into it and a couple of jarring dialogue moments early on, but that was more about settling into understanding the characters and their idiosyncrasies – but after about 20 mins it was great.

I liked the art direction of the show, and thought the Klingons were pretty bad ass!

Really looking forward to the next episodes :)

Got a gaming rumour?
    Then email me at warren@beastsofwar.com
    Anonymity Guaranteed.
  • Avatar Image seldon91629p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

DS9 still rules the roost for me. I’m holding off watching till my wife gets some time to enjoy it with me.

• Avatar Image lorgaroz200p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

I’m not a Trekkie, more of a Battlestar fan. But I thought it was really fun! It’ll be good to see how they portray the Federation dealing with war, tragedy and PTSD

• Avatar Image agis294p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Watched the 1st Episode. Being a Trekkie I am really happy that Trek is again on the TV Screen. :)
    I like the story but what I NOT liked is the new look.

It Looks like the Transition from Enterprise to the JJ Abrams Kirk movie Adaptation, not the original TV Series or the TNG, DS9 or Voyager look.
    The Klingons are IMO to baroque and Ornate. I really hope that the story will get me, the look while polished and up to date is not my thing.

cheers and keep on gaming, Agis – http://www.adpublishing.de

• Avatar Image noyjatat811p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Watched the first two episodes and thought it to be an interesting start. The quick flash through of the season shows an immediate shift and I look forward to seeing where they go with it.

• Avatar Image chillreaper310p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Normally, I will quite happily rip the daft concepts in Star Trek to pieces. Ship battles in the middle of nowhere? Just hit the warp drives and get out of there! What do you mean “they’re offline”?! We only got shot once! Why on earth don’t we have redundant systems if they’re so stupidly fragile?!

Ahem.

Anyway, for such a self proclaimed Star Trek hater, I seem to have watched an awful lot of it.

The new show? I really liked it! It’s called Star Trek, it has Klingons and Starfleet, but they’re re-imagined. I feel like this is the kind of show that Trekkies would dislike because of the changes, but BSG fans might appreciate.

• Avatar Image dogma2097491p said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

After the first two episodes I thought it lacked the humour, characters and camraderie of the older series’ – something The Expanse, Killjoys and less recently Stargate Universe managed to distill a lot more successfully. We’re not at the series proper yet, so judgement is reserved, but I’d watch a proper series of Michelle Yeo as Captain so long as they can remove that 2nd in command as quickly as possible – I think there’s good reason that Vulcans and Vulcan culture are usually a supporting role in the greater ST universe – it doesn’t lend itself to sympathetic characters, and when your only character is a whiny subordinate semi-Vulcan, it’s a hard sell. The Klingons were good enough visually but felt rather than have than the guttural speech intended, they just didn’t know their lines well enough, it felt like they were just reciting noises as opposed to speaking in a natural language.

I’ll see how it progresses before it gets binned or continued.

Making noises, using colours, and generally continuing to exist.
    Follow @dogma2097 everywhere there’s an internet thing going on. Mostly Twitter.
    Pronounced “Dogma-Twenty-NinetySeven”