Beasts of War | Groups | Technical Support | Forum | XLBS videos freezing often

Beasts of War Homepage

Forge of Destiny Facebook - Click Here

Group Admins

Group Mods

Technical Support

Public Group active 1 month ago

If you have a problem or a query on how to use then please take a moment to browse this group and post any questions here.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Help, Community Feedback

XLBS videos freezing often (110 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image basilard9949p said 2 years ago:

Has anyone else had any issues with XLBS videos freezing for multiple seconds, possibly multiple times during the video? Happens on both Chrome and IE on a laptop, and Chrome on an android device. My connectivity speeds show 3-4 times higher than what should be necessary to stream HD video. Also seems to happen the more videos that I watch in a setting.

I’m asking here before I spend a lot of time trying to diagnose issues on my PC.

• Avatar Image bonesbs108p said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I doubt very much if this is an issue with any of your devices, I have been having similar issues, and so have multiple others judging from the forums, ever since the site had its player changed. You Tube and vimeo work fine? This allowing the site to estimate best quality stream to allow is barking, and causes codec issues. We should simply be allowed to make a default choice according to our profiles, and delivering used.

• Avatar Image timmoth271p said 1 year, 5 months ago:

It has happened to me a few times aswell. Not always, but when it does happen it’s impossible to continue and I have to wait for another day.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5398p said 1 year, 5 months ago:

It happens to me as well and it doesn’t seem to be linked to any particular platform. It happens on my Windows PC and my Android devices although it does seem worse when I’m using mobile devices but that could be because mobile signal strength can vary greatly.

• Avatar Image nakchak4583p said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Disable hardware acceleration in your browser, unless you reguarly do 3d stuff in vrml you dont need it enabled, it screws with video playback.

The rest is usually bandwidth related either your end or at vimeo’s

As for having 2 players, it depends on the content, YT for free stuff, vimeo for backstage, why because YT doent offer a viable subscribers content mechanism, sure they could delist the vids that are backstage but that is purly an honour system as there is nothing to stop people from posting the url to the vid any where.

With regards to vimeo playback issues a lot of the time it is down to your bandwidth, even if you are getting advertised bandwidth from your ISP thats ideal world stats and only measures a point to point scenario usually physically close to you, vimeo often falls back to its north american infrastructure which can create quite a bit of latency for the rest of the world when, which leads to traffic jams and bottle necks.
    Finally your wifi is probably mode switching on you, and the browsers (firefox is particurly bad for this) are probably consuming a ton of memory in the background as you watch the vid, try closing all your tabs and stay off face book and see if your vid playback improves.

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image basilard9949p said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the replies; however, of recent I haven’t had many issues. I did spend a lot of time troubleshooting various networking issues, both wired and wireless and cleaning up some issues around the house. Seemed to get the best improvement when switching the wireless channels and stacking a new router in front of the ISP supplied one.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5398p said 3 months ago:

This problem seems to have returned recently and I can confirm that it’s nothing to do with Hardware Acceleration because I don’t have it enabled on my PC and it’s not a feature of Chrome mobile. The last two XLBS shows have been virtually unwatchable because the stream will freeze regularly and in some cases the only option is to refresh the entire page. I think it’s time to look for a better solution to the paywall content, there must be a better way

• Avatar Image soulman173p said 3 months ago:

Saturday show tends to be fine…Sundays is where i get my problems,been doing that for over a year now i guess.. not each week, but you never never know when it will strike. Sunday just gone i had to give up.

• Avatar Image nakchak4583p said 3 months ago:

@soulman saturdays is hosted on youtube, the sunday show on vimeo, google pay all the major isp’s to not throttle their connections so YT video is pretty much ubiquitously guaranteed quality, other video hosts less so.

Could @soulman and @onlyonepinman PM me who your internet provider is, it may be related to your playback issues, for the record i have had no issues with my BT FttC connection (infinity in laymans terms). Its worth having a read of this page:
    If your watching it with the default quality set to auto, try choosing a lower quality for the stream and see if that improves things, if so the finger is pointing at your connection and it would be worth checking what speed your getting with, also if possible would you mind testing if the issue happens when you watch the vids via 3/4g.

Ultimately its a vimeo problem and to do with how their traffic reaches your ISP, given the timing and the large scale “hactivism” going on at the moment to do with the repealing of net neutrality laws in the USA its quite likely that any video host that isnt facebook or google will experience traffic delivery issues until it calms down a bit, but it would be interesting to see if your ISP’s have a bearing on the problem.

Unless something catestrophic happens vimeo will be the 3rd party paywall host for the foreseeable future, as there isn’t a viable alternative for what they offer to content producers im afraid.

• Avatar Image ghent99555p said 3 months ago:

Yes it is a problem again. I had it before and then it went away and now it is back. There are some local issues I need to fix but this really wasn’t an issue when we moved in and set everything up.

This all started before the net ruling.

Enjoy your hobby, your way!
  • Avatar Image nakchak4583p said 3 months ago:

@ghent99 what are you scoring on your ping and down speed tests @

Seems like vimeo is having issues routing a fast enough connection to various people without any rhyme or reason im afraid…

I’m using either Vodafone 4G or a Sky Broadband (which is technically running on BT Fibre). It doesn’t really seem to have much of an impact which one I use, they’re both really sketchy when it comes to watching the videos. Weirdly if I Watch other content on Vimeo I don’t have the issue however that might also be because I don’t watch hour long videos on Vimeo

• Avatar Image noyjatat1018p said 3 months ago:

I have had no problems with any of the videos.

I don’t currently experience any issues with YouTube which would seem to suggest there’s no specific issue with bandwidth/internet speed.

• Avatar Image warworksdk521p said 3 months ago:

The problem is most likely Vimeo – it’s an absolutely terrible video player.