Beasts of War | Groups | 40K General Discussion | Forum | help Wil Wheaton get back into 40k …

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Group Mods

40K General Discussion

Public Group active 1 day, 6 hours ago

Discussion about everything Warhammer 40000 related, including modelling, painting, collecting, fluff, cheese and the expansions Apocalypse, Cityfight, Planetstrike and Spearhead. Newbie advice on tap too.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, 40k, Warhammer 40k, Games Workshop, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

help Wil Wheaton get back into 40k … (16 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image limburger1681p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

(yep … the one and only Wesley Crusher used to like 40k too!)

He’s asking for help … best not scare him of with tales of ‘fascist’ 40k players I think.
    I’ve already posted a comment saying we’re all friendly here, but feel free to share advice for him :
    http://wilwheaton.net/2017/08/the-emperor-continues-his-eternal-vigilance/

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
  • Avatar Image redben7814p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Did you tell him to take out a backstage membership at Beasts of War?

@redben : that I haven’t, but I figured he’d want to once he’s been here.
    Best not to overload him with too much BoW goodness. ;-)

• Avatar Image craigwrdouglas499p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

And once again, proof positive that absolutely everyone loves Space Hulk…….

blogger-image-1654658473.jpg
  • Avatar Image ghent99447p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

With all the hate he spews nowadays I am not sure he would fit in. Sad as he once had a strong opinion to not be a dick.

Enjoy your hobby, your way!
  • Avatar Image waywarddarkwolf362p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

You want to help Whhil Whheaton get back into 40K!
    Whhy would you want to help Whhil Whheaton?!
    Perhaps whhe could talk to him about the Whhhirlwinds used by the Whhorld Eater chapter?!

coolwhip.jpg
  • Avatar Image onlyonepinman4996p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@ghent99 said:
    With all the hate he spews nowadays I am not sure he would fit in. Sad as he once had a strong opinion to not be a dick.

He’s a bit social justice-y I will give you that. But I am sure he’s well meaning. I don’t agree with a lot of the guy’s opinions but my love of this hobby overcame that and I offered him some advice. I think it would need someone a lot worse than him for me to not offer advise to get involved in wargaming. I reckon we’d be talking a sort of Sarkeesian level of social justice or maybe some kind of racial supremacist before I would consider not helping.

• Avatar Image mage5067p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@waywarddarkwolf said:
    You want to help Whhil Whheaton get back into 40K!
    Whhy would you want to help Whhil Whheaton?!
    Perhaps whhe could talk to him about the Whhhirlwinds used by the Whhorld Eater chapter?!

Because…. cool whhipp?

@onlyonepinman :
    exactly.
    So what if his political or religious beliefs don’t match mine ?
    We’re here to play games, have fun and introduce new people to this wonderful hobby of ours.

http://wilwheaton.net/2017/08/four-things-i-want-you-to-know/

yep, he’s gone and done it.
    Now … how do we get him to join here ?
    Perhaps an official invite would do the trick ? ;-)

• Avatar Image grumpyzhukov237p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@ghent99 said:

What kind of hate are we talking here?

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman4996p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@grumpyzhukov said:
    What kind of hate are we talking here?

I guess it depends on your general outlook on life as to whether you consider it “hate”, but he has, on several occasions, nailed his colours to the “progressive” mast which tends to be quite critical of certain elements of geek culture (mostly the more masculine elements). I’m not saying he’s right or wrong but he’s publicly voiced an opinion that puts him in opposition to certain other opinions (people do tend to get defensive if they fall into a demographic that you’re generalising about). I personally don’t call it hate and I’m sure in his own head what he believes is for the best even if I don’t agree with him. But you know, I know people even here on this site with whom I disagree quite regularly on many social and political issues ( don’t I, @angelicdespot ;) ) but I don’t hate those people – far from it in fact and I have met them several times at Salute (three years running now, looking forward to making it four!) and our shared love of this hobby is far more important than an opinion about politics or social issues because ultimately we’re all just people trying to get through life and have a bit of fun along the way.

• Avatar Image dracs1036p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

I’m a big fan of Wil Wheaton, would be great to see him on the site.
    On a different note, I really need to pull my finger out and get my Harlequins painted. Trying to get back into 40k now too.

BoW Sam, Hobbit with the voice of 10 men
  • Avatar Image grumpyzhukov237p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@onlyonepinman

Thank you for a very thoughtful and considered reply, and while we may have our own differing political feelings and thoughts I entirely agree that the community is big enough to house them.

Cheers,
    GZ

It also helps that the vast majority manages to leave their politics & religion at the door.
    That kind of stuff stops 90% of all pointless & disruptive arguments that those subjects tend to cause.