Beasts of War Homepage

Operation: Icestorm Preorder Your Starter Box Today at Your LFGS or Click here Operation: Icestorm Week - Watch it all Click Here

Group Admins

Group Mods

40K General Discussion

Public Group active 7 hours, 7 minutes ago

Discussion about everything Warhammer 40000 related, including modelling, painting, collecting, fluff, cheese and the expansions Apocalypse, Cityfight, Planetstrike and Spearhead. Newbie advice on tap too.

my thoughs on Space Marines Codex. (33 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image captainbastardo273p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Ok so here is the stuff I have noticed.

1. Tactical squads do look cheaper, but actually they come with just bolt guns and no heavy or special weapons. By the time you upgrade them they cost roughly the same. This might be useful in some circumstances. For instance you could just use cheap squads as objective hunters.

2. The Chapter Master now has 4 wounds. You can make him eternal warrior and make him totally ridiculous but it will cost a lot of points. However, it does mean that you no longer have to take Lysander if you want a beast in cc. Lysander now looks pretty average compared with other Chapter masters. For example you could have eternal warrior and a 2+ save and a storm shield and thunder hammer, and a jump pack! And on top of that you can have traits which make the character even more brutal. But it would cost a lot of points.

3. The new Centurion close combat squads are useless. They cannot be in a drop pod or a flyer and cannot teleport. So they have to move across the board in a land raider. They cannot have an invulnerable save.

4. The new Centurion Devastators have similar issues, but are at least useable. The grav cannons they can take are totally brutal, but they end up costing a stupid amount of points and only have 2 wounds and a 2+ save and toughness 5. They would be ok if you could keep them from being shot to pieces. But you would have to kill a stupid amount to make them worthwhile.

5. New grav guns look fun. They are similar to plasma because they are designed to kill high armour troops, but less unreliable. However, they work better when stationary. One usfull thing about the grav pistol is that it won’t make characters and sergeants blow up.

That’s all for now, but there is probably a bunch of other stuff I could mention.

• Avatar Image chadeptus222p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sounds to me Lysander is going to be a thing of the past now

Relying on luck is foolish – Taking the best chance is wise
    Have Patience – Victory will find you
  • Avatar Image jay188219p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Good for hobbyists who like to kitbash, its more fun than buying off the rack anyhow.

• Avatar Image bigbri462p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@chadeptus said:
    Sounds to me Lysander is going to be a thing of the past now

^^ This, unfortunately. Lysander took a big points increase, and lost his bolter drill ability. So now you’re paying a lot of points for a beatstick. I’d rather pay a bit more and get a chapter master with burning blade + shield eternal.

The big thing for me is the new chapter tactics and not being able to mix special characters as easily anymore, which sucks.
    On the plus side some of the lesser used chapters like white scars and raven guard got pretty awesome, so maybe I can face something other than salamanders for once(plus I can finally break out my sweet shrike conversion)

If at first you don’t succeed, kill any who saw you fail.
    Two wrongs might not make a right but they do make you even

@Bigbri I was thinking that to, sounds really good.

Even though they lost something they are still a top book, I think GK, Sisters and Nids will struggle now, due to new weapons and units. Dark Eldar may be alright, and the other armies have enough to deal with them.

Thunderfire cannon gaining barrage is tougher now aint it

I still can’t see calgar being used a lot due to cost, but I think the armour upgrade is pointless unless you want a teleport homer.

Overall though, I quite pleased with the book. I got a limited edition one which is really nice.

There seems a bit more depth into some of the chapter tactics now, instead of just the army gets ‘fleet’ lol I know its not a lot but its still better.

But why oh WHY….is the artwork on page 94 WAY better than the model :-S

• Avatar Image redshane126p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I don’t have the book yet. Just wondering, has there been any changes in relation to Vulkan. Do you still get the whole twin linked flamers and melta guns etc???

• Avatar Image bigbri462p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@redshane said:
    I don’t have the book yet. Just wondering, has there been any changes in relation to Vulkan. Do you still get the whole twin linked flamers and melta guns etc???

There’s a slight change. The Salamander chapter tactic gives you the flamer upgrade, while vulkan provides the bonus to the melta weapons.

• Avatar Image redshane126p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cool. Thanks for that.
    Now all I have to do now is spend a exceptional amount of money and buy the codex. :(

• Avatar Image deathangel252p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

personaly, i love the new white scars chapter tactics. i played my first game with them last night and i was amazed at how well it did…i ran a chapter master on bike with the armour indomitus, the shield eternal and the burning blade wich, i know how pricey it is, but it made the character chuck norris level awesome. i backed him up with khan and a command squad with apothecary and th/ss on the vets. besides the deathstar, i had 3 full biker squads with grav-guns and MMs, and a stormraven to top it all off at 1850pts. sooooo much fun to play XD

today is tomorrow’s yesterday

@deathangel have you started playing 40k again? I heard you stopped?

Of you still reading up on the new codex’s

@chadeptus wow, didin’t think anyone noticed i was gone, but yeah, i have been keeping an eye on the game, reading the new books, hoping for a reason to come back to it…and since i was a SM player, i couldin’t resist having a game with the new dex. i gotta say i really enjoyed it and will most likely have a couple more games, but my tournament days are most definately behind me. huh, nice to see the trolls remember me :P why do they still use that stupid +1-1 thing anyways? seems that no matter how many times they dislike me, my karma score keeps rising despite it, lol

@chadeptus about lysander…with the new chapter relics, you can make your own lysander. he won’t be as hard hitting, but he’ll be as tough, if not tougher thanks to the shield eternal and the armour indomitus. i tried him on a bike, and…well, it was like having lysander on rollerskates :P

@deathangel I’ve lost my spam days now, personally I got bored of it so I’ve been playing fun lists and mixing a bit of everything into my armies and its so much more enjoyable. I liked the new Apoc release, Ive got 3 dreadknights done for a formation now (one of my fav GK models) and I’ve got into painting scenary now (Aquila, ruins and some craters) Seems so much more enjoyable :-)

Back on subject…….

The new SM book has made want to create up a 2000 point army for fun – but who do I choose……………..But the burning sword has me sold on my HQ even though it could kill him but who cares lol

agreed, i’m just playing for fun nowadays too…no stress :D

• Avatar Image mrsalamanders64p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@Redshane

The Salamanders have gotten a crap load better in my opinion. All Flamer type weapons are twinlinked, so that’s including flame storm cannons. And we get certain defences against flamer weapons as well which is a huge advantage against wall of death. And something about having free mastercrafted anything… And that’s just the Salamanders. There’s stuff in this dex that makes me want to make 2-3 different other chapters.

What is disappointing is a much needed HQ for the Iron Hands. Half a page of the HQ fluff but no love for the iron hands. :.(

@redshane said: