Beasts of War Homepage

Group Admins

Group Mods

Warhammer Fantasy General Discussion

Public Group active 6 days, 13 hours ago

Talk about the latest in Warhammer Fantasy including the newly released 8th Edition rulebook!

Plastic high elves cost more than FW (40 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image 3p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi. Has anyone noticed the new plastic high elves are actually more expensive than forge world?!? Of course Americans are probably used to this kind of pricing but it is the first time they have really introduced such high pricing in the UK.

The plastic shadow warriors are more expensive than forge world empire infantry.

Now I don’t have a problem with GW making a profit from their miniatures but just stop and think about this a second.

1.Forge World is pure resin, and GW is cheap plastic.

2. Sorry GW but no matter how good you are at casting plastic it will NEVER look as good as resin, The plastic never has the same level of detail. Take a close look at the plastic HE compared to the Empire FW stuff.

3.Vitrix is unbelievably cheaper and so in Perry Plastics. And yet both companies make increadibly high quality stuff.

4. The miniatures look more and more like a cartoon.

5. You can’t actualy build “proper size” fantasy armies. Fantasy is supposed to reprisent block infantry and regiments. The huge cost of regiments is turning fantasy more into a skirmish style game.

6. Take a look at the plastic dwarfs and warriors from Avatars of War. You can pretty much build entire armies at a fraction of the cost and the miniatures actually look better.

So when you take all of those things into account I don’t think I will be buying any new shadow warriors. In case there is anyone out there still calling me a “hater,” or telling me to “stop whining,” I simply ask you one question. Do you honestly think that with more competition in the market prices would remain so high. If so, how can Forge World Horus Heresy Terminators cost the same price as GW Deathwing terminators?

Good old GW.

• Avatar Image redben798p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

This seems to be double-posted. I’ve replied to the other one.

• Avatar Image m1cha3l16p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Fw empire dont come with arms so u gotta buy the gw box to finish the model at least they a full box and dont think termies come with weapons either.

• Avatar Image chibi2535p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

FW don’t come with arms?

Are you able to just use the spares from the plastic set so you have two full sets?
    hope that makes sense.

@Redben
    I think the other thread may have vanished into the ethernet.

So long Farewell Auf wiedersehen, Adieu
    I seem to piss some people off So I’m off to pastures new
  • Avatar Image dangerrat31p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Replied to the other also but since that seems to be deleted, I’ll reiterate. There is no put up with GW only shut up as the only way to improve things is for us to vote with our wallets and since that doesn’t seem to have had much impact over the years, complaining is a waste of breath.

Saying that though the price of the Warriors of the Blade bundle is absolutely disgusting even for GW.

Indeed it has. Given it had a lot more discussion than this one then unless it was an arbitrary decision over which one to nuke then this one might go the same way.

• Avatar Image brennon1194p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Three posts were made and I missed that this one had fewer than the other one. Alas, but if the repeat posts continue then I’ll have to nuke them and the original poster will get a warning/ban.

BoW Ben – Master of Beards & Backstabbing.
    The Tall Dwarf

To very briefly recap. The economics of plastic production have less to do with GW’s pricing policy than what the market will bear. If the market will bear these prices then GW will charge them.

• Avatar Image sathrin32p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Oh bugger I replied to the other one too. Oh well.

Sale figures dropping will be the only thing to drop prices in any way. You’d think. Seems fairly standard business practice to me, then again I’m a digital designer not an economist, lol.
    Shame the new HE models are so expensive.

Though after seeing the models, what would you pay for them?
    Say if it was put to an honour system. You walk in and pay whatever you feel is sufficient, what would you guys lay down?

Venus and Mars shall align in conjunction with Uranus and Dragonfish will fly to the Arctic to watch the Northern Lights on the day GW reduce their prices, for on that day Gabriel shall trump the lost chord and worlds shall end.

Up in the highest ivory towers of the Citadel the watchers gaze through their long sight tubes and see the word “sucker” tattooed for ever on the foreheads of their devotees.
    And they smile the while.

• Avatar Image aellan20p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well, at least it is not like I need to buy new models to play my army. The thing I looked foward the most is the Armybook, a hardcover, colored book with updated rules and not that lazy excuse for armybook that was the 7th edition one.
    I also took my metal shadow warriors out of their boxes to assemble them, as it seems they will finally have the tools to fill their role in the army.
    If ever I get that box will be to assemble and Avelorn unit (But I have never been much of na Avelorn fan, so I don’t see that happening anytime soon).
    Kit wise, I think the ones that I most probably will buy are the Skycutter (Mostly because of that lord) and the Phoenixes, but again, not anytime soon as I still have lots of stuff to assemble, paint and game with.

Ok as much as I like a good old chin wag about the amazing practices of GW (It’s business Jim, but not as we know it!) the constant spamming of my email by CaptainBastwatsist is too annoying and helps no one.

Have we heard? Yes, several times now.

• Avatar Image amakiir32p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Would you rather sell 20 things and make $4 each, or sell two things making $50 dollars each? This is the basic principle driving GW right now. They know there are a certain number of people who will buy their products no matter the cost, and they are trying to grow their margins so that number of sales will earn the company a profit. If anyone buys in addition to that core group of buyers, gravy. The only way prices will come down is if that core group draws a line in the sand and says no more. You guys on the fringes, who are working within a budget, mean nothing to GW. I cannot stress that enough.

Spot on.

• Avatar Image captainbastardo270p said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sorry about the spam everyone. As you may have noticed there were some problems with the server earlier. I had only just joined and my profile was totally deleted and my message was spammed.

I do read the financial papers and I understand arguments about free economincs. But let’s just address a couple of things.

As the title says GW prices are now on a par with FW in some respects. For the record the Heresy nurgle terminators are the same price as the deathwing box WITH weapons included. Surely some gamers will start to see FW as a viable option.

Also some people are saying “it’s not the fact that they are plastic, its the way they are made.” In that case why not make everything in resin? Come on guys the cost is extortionate.

Most companies don’t fail in 1 week (unless they are a bank). i think you will find over 20 years or so you will have more genuine competition in the plastic miniature market. Everyone expects the GW ship to quickly sink. I don’t think that will happen but I believe these prices may prove a step too far for some UK customers.

@chibi said:
    Ok as much as I like a good old chin wag about the amazing practices of GW (It’s business Jim, but not as we know it!) the constant spamming of my email by CaptainBastwatsist is too annoying and helps no one.

Have we heard? Yes, several times now.