May 24, 2013 by dracs
Warren just pointed me in the direction of some news on Gizmodo which is sure to bring out the childish geek in all of us. It seems that Lego have decided their Star Wars X-Wing kit isn’t cool enough and have made one life size!
This is possibly the biggest model Lego have ever made. It is so large and heavy that it needs and internal metal frame to support it!
But it’s not just the size that is impressive. The attention to detail is astounding, right down to the controls in the cockpit.
It looks to be a perfect replica of the original Lego kit, only this one you can sit in and is less likely to be broken by my sister dropping it (I will never forgive her).
Here’s some stats on this ambitious build:
- Contains 5,335,200 LEGO bricks
- Weighs 45,979.61 pounds (including bricks and steel infrastructure)
- Height: 11 feet / 3.35 meters
- Length: 43 feet / 13.1 meters
- Wingspan: 44 feet / 13.44 meters
- 32 builders spent 17,336 hours (about 4 months) to construct
The model was apparently built in order to promote the upcoming Lego Star Wars TV series The Yoda Chronicles, which will premier on May 29th.
This has got me wondering, have any of you ever tried to make something really ambitious out of Lego?