June 2, 2016 by dracs
Onyx Path Publishing have released another new supplement, this time for use alongside Vampire the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition. You’ve played as the fearsome lords of the night, now it’s time to take on the role of their Ghoulish servants.
Ghouls are the traditional servants of the vampires in the World of Darkness. At least nominally, they are normal humans, but they have been given some of the vampire’s traits by drinking their blood without having been drained of their own first. Vampires often look down upon ghouls and they are used and abused as they see fit. Definitely room for some compelling characters there.
Revenants are a somewhat rarer prospect, being ghouls that have further been warped through dark magic. Originally, Revenants were hereditary ghouls, born into the bloodline and often destined to serve a particular vampire or clan.
In this book you will find:
- Expanded and revised character creation for ghoul and revenant player-characters
- Clan and Sect write-ups for ghouls who serve them
- New revenant families including the Rossellini, Kairouan Brotherhood, and more.
- New rules for ghouls and revenants including new Merits & Flaws, Backgrounds, Discipline Packages, etc.
- A Storyteller chapter for advice on running ghoul-or-revenant focused chronicles.
- Onyx Path
Ghouls are rather ubiquitous in the World of Darkness, but I will admit that the idea of playing as one never occurred to me. It certainly opens plenty of story telling opportunities and it would be interesting to see the world, as it were, from the bottom up.
Have you ever played as a ghoul? Do you have a favourite ghoul or revenant NPC?
"Vampires often look down upon ghouls and they are used and abused as they see fit..."