September 4, 2014 by brennon
Rumours are circling in greater numbers than crows on a battlefield that Warhammer Fantasy Battles 9th Edition might not be coming next year at all but indeed may be coming this year and indeed next week of all things starting September 13th 2014 for pre-orders…
Here’s the breakdown…
- New posters and promotional material are apparently appearing at Games Workshop stores
- Island of Blood is reportedly being phased out (similar to the Assault on Black Reach phase out)
- Bretonnians are going to be in the main boxed set alongside Undead
- October sees the launch of said boxed game with Bretonnians getting a new rulebook and models
- A smattering of other special character kits will come out around the same time
…and that all sounds very cool indeed but it does seem very out of the blue. In saying that Games Workshop have been doing a lot of blindsiding this year with the way White Dwarf went, the arrival of a new edition of Warhammer 40,000, a mass of updates for their rulebooks and surprise army announcements (and Nagash of course).
Could this be another arrow to notch for Games Workshop as they look to make Christmas their biggest one in the last few years? Don’t forget The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies is still to be released around December time and that would leave the schedule chock-a-block full of new toys to pick up for the festive season.
While I want to believe this rumour I am somewhat skeptical as the previous rumours had hinted at a much more drawn out schedule with Warhammer Fantasy Battles not hitting until next Summer in 2015. It seemed to fit in alongside other releases from the company for Warhammer 40,000.
I’m sure we’ll know by next week as leaks from White Dwarf are springing all over the place nowadays.
What do you think?