Skip to toolbar

50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 – First Moon Landing (July 20, 1969-2019)

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 – First Moon Landing (July 20, 1969-2019)

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  oriskany 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good afternoon ~ Not really “military history” or “gaming related” – but a big  historical date today for those of us who also like space exploration and sci-fi …

Apollo 11 50 Years

Anonymous
    0xp

Amazingly brave and talented men who travelled to the moon, and amazingly smart and visionary men and women who designed the equipment needed to get them there.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Except today is JUNE 20, not JULY 20 … I literally don’t know what month it is …

Sorry for the false alarm, folks.

Getting more coffee …

I’ll post this up again in ONE MONTH I guess.

🙁 🙁 🙁

Anonymous
    0xp

Don’t worry, i have spent today thinking it is Tuesday!

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

I remember getting up at about 6 in the morning in hope of watching the 1st walk live with my Father, but even then we had missed it by an hour and only got the re-play. I was 10 at the time and had got an Airfix  Saturn 5 that Broke down into stages and my grandad and myself took of the stages as the mission progressed.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

It sucks that we didn’t have the resources to do more than visit the moon (or we weren’t willing to spend them).
    Almost 50 years later and all we’ve got is a few relics and *ahem* people claiming we never were there to begin with.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

*grumbles* did you have to remind me that i’m 50 later this year

Anonymous
    0xp

If you like space, 3D printing, mould making or painting, this video is for you…

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

@tuffyears – yeah, and I did it a month early, too.

Because “Mr. ex-Historical Editor” doesn’t know how a calendar works. 🙁

shingen
    13941xp
    Cult of Games Member

With such great anniversaries month of celebrating may actually be just enough, well played @oriskany.

And to keep up with (or maybe start) that new fashion of celebrating almost anniversaries let me also provide one from space race events annals: on June 19, 1963 (exactly 56 years and 1 day ago) Valentina Tierieshkova – first woman in space landed in Kazakhstan back from her almost 3 days flight.

jamesevans140
    Participant
    2055xp

Well this is now a heads up warning for us to get ready for this significant anniversary.

In my life time I have seen the world stop and stood still for times even if it was for an hour or so. This was one of them and the only one that was not dark and foreboding. Getting to the moon was great but looking back and seeing our tiny blue planet for the first time, wow. It made us wake-up.

It made us more aware of the need to protection of this unique environment. It was far more than some guy getting grey dust on his boots. It really made us think about what mankind was, environment protect, imitation control, recycling and the list goes on. Yes many of these had been raised but only by a tiny few with most not listen.

This was the moment that woke up the world.

The Blue Earth photo taken by Apollo 9, I think, remains the world’s most reproduced photo.

So yes I believe it is a truly significant anniversary for the world and mankind.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  jamesevans140.

Anonymous
    0xp

Something else that pop up in my YouTube feed as well, might be of interest to some to follow along in real time…just with a 50 year delay.  I really enjoy her content as well.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good call – @shingen – Fans of our starship tactical wargame: Darkstar may know we have a Russian class of light aerospace carrier called the Gagarin class, one of which is, no shit, CPK Tereshkova.   She was actually in action just last month, I think against the British.

I like your positive take on the date, @jamesevans140 – yes, I meant to post a month early, so we could all discuss this event for the month leading up to it.  😀  (ahem cough) …. totally intentional.  😀

That’s an awesome feed, @robert – I am now subscribed to Vintage Space!  I have a feeling my girlfriend will like it even more than me.

shingen
    13941xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, that is lucky (?) coincidence. Valentina herself was very brave woman, she was member of parachuting sports club and allowed her comrades to send her to space on top of what was basically four connected V2 missiles. I guess you might expect ship named after her to do similarly brave things.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yep, my memory didn’t fail me THIS time.  There “she” is.  CPK (Holy Russian Ship) Tereshkova, part of a battlegroup of the Holy Russian Empire, Olympian Path War of 2518-20, Gamma Leporis system, about 28 light-years out.  She’s being positively hammered here by @damon ‘s big-gun British cruisers, but stays in it long enough to launch her fighters and scouts … just not her bombers.

Russians still “won” this one, 144 to 138, but with just a 4% victory margin, that’s not enough to claim a win in the ongoing campaign.  So it was chalked up as a draw.

All Gagarin-class light fleet carriers are named after Soviet and Russian cosmonauts.

Tereshkova

Gagarin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)