Skip to toolbar

Announcement about HeroQuest coming in 10 days HeroQuest (avalonhill.com)

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Announcement about HeroQuest coming in 10 days HeroQuest (avalonhill.com)

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 39 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  kiranamida 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

HeroQuest (avalonhill.com)

https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

HeroQuestComing

iceeagle85
    Participant
    4965xp

Now this is interesting. I hope this sees the light of day and is good.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

I guess we will know in 10 days.  In other news Hasbro has taken over the management of Avalon Hill which was originally under WotC.  Previously Avalon Hill was being managed by WotC.  WotC has fought in the past to not allow that to happen.  We will see if there is some shake-up.   Hasbro wants to sell games in the $30 to $40 range which means super cheap components when it comes to Hasbro.

At the same time I see that Restoration Games application for IP Rights for Hero Quest has advanced.  Still more to go but it seems to be moving.

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

> Previously Avalon Hill was being managed by WotC. WotC has fought in the past to not allow that to happen.

When did this happen? TIA.

slayerofworlds
    Participant
    3449xp

I have a feeling they will just stick to old school Heroquest mechanics… which are very dated.   I don’t need a reskin of heroquest, as I already have HQ for that.

They need to at least come up with some newer interesting game mechanics, and then expand on all the things that made HQ great.  But hopefully do get rid of roll and move.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s interesting how AvalonHill is the leading name in the URL, but the website itself is Hasbro oriented (ESRB notice pointing towards Hasbro’s instance).

One has to wonder if this means that AH will be the ‘serious’ boardgames venture whereas Hasbro will do the cheap stuff.

However given the cheap/tacky countdown timer I suspect it will be a very cheap / bare bones  version with plenty of opportunities to give them even more money for very little of value.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

@ced1106

Hasbro takes over management of Wizard of the Coast’s gaming brand Avalon Hill – ToyNews (toynews-online.biz)

Hasbro takes over management of Wizard of the Coast’s gaming brand Avalon Hill

kiranamida
    5782xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hmm, curious but reserved interest. I missed Hero Quest in it’s hey day and I’ve shay’s been interested in getting a look at such an influential piece of gaming history. Though I’m cautious of someone like Hasbro trying to sell me nostalgia without care for the property…

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

I believe the article states what Hasbro’s intentions are and their other news articles about Hasbro that state the same.  With COVID they have seen a renewed interest in board games.   Hasbro in the past has focused on board games they can mass produce and sell for the under $50 price point.   Avalon Hill has mostly focused on games that are more hobby oriented and above the $50 mark.  Hasbro wants to take over management of Avalon Hill and exploit that IP to make sub-$50 mass produced games with familiar names.

When under with WotC the WotC Team understood the history of Avalon Hill and its past games and understood the games they were trying to produce.   However, they probably did not make the money that Hasbro wanted.   Hasbro is happy to churn out that 10,000th iteration of Monopoly or whatever cheap property they own and sell it in volume.   They do not care about great games just great volume.

If we are lucky, we get an exact copy of Hero Quest with maybe a new rulebook for a more modern view of the game.   You may get Hero Quest Classic and Modern Hero Quest with the same components all in the same box with cheap components to boot but with nostalgia driving sales.

Restoration Games seems to have a game in the works that is being called, Hero Quest Legacies.   This may be Hero Quest that takes it to a more modern spin of the game with good miniatures and good components.    That is still years away.

Giving the timing, Hasbro is probably trying to cash in on nostalgia and Christmas sales if they plan to release this year.  But, given their track record, they will change very little.

That is my opinion anyway, we will see in seven days just how wrong I am in my opinion.

totsuzenheni
    Participant
    5651xp

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

If you check the FB page for Hasbro Plus, the teaser pic has the #haslab hashtag. Haslab is Hasbro’s own crowdfunding platform. AFAIK, It’s only done three high-end collector figure projects.

My own speculation only, but mebbe Hasbro will crowdfund a hobby-level HQ game, aimed towards the hobbyist with money and demand for high quality components. Then mebbe mebbe Hasbro will put out an inexpensive retail product later. (An expensive limited edition followed by a cheaper retail version is a common release method.) Magic: The Arena has shown that Hasbro can put out a retail game, but miniature quality and board quality is far far below hobby gamer standards. Too bad HQ wasn’t released when HeroScape was available retail. (Why isn’t HS around again now that oil prices dropped? 😛

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

It kind of sucks that Restroration Games aren’t doing HQ:L after all, because that company reads like they’ve got passion for the things they do whereas Hasbro is all about maximizing profit (like any other company).

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Okay, Restoration Games is not involved in that accouchement, however….

Restoration Games has also confirmed that they have aquired the “HeroQuest” trademark, however, they are not currently working on a new edition of Heroquest. Rob Daviau said, “I would love to make it.” However, at this time Restoration Gaes doesn not have the rights to do so.

Source 

And, here is the Trademark Application from Restoration Games:

Source

So, they may not be doing anything right now, but they are spending money for a Trademark so they will be doing something in the future.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@turbocooler that all will depend on what will happen to the HQ rights once AvalonHill/Hasbro publish their version.
    We don’t know if they got a world-wide deal or a regional one …

Also of note : the trademark was Heroquest Legends … NOT Heroquest(!). I think that is an important if subtle difference.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Great Video on the topic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)