Skip to toolbar

Babylon 5 reboot?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Babylon 5 reboot?

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  admiralandy 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

No point worrying about it before it’s out. There really is no point being outraged over it either before it’s out. Besides JMS has more money and experience at this point so he might have ideas that he didn’t have back then.

With George Lucas writing PT on his own is more of  proof that he isn’t much of writer and director and needs others to make his ideas reality as The Clone Wars proves with Dave Filoni pretty much having turned Lucas’ ideas into reality that audience can like.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

nah … we must worry

we must get the pitchforks and torches

’cause what else is there to do except rage on the interwebs against stuff we probably won’t watch anyway ?

😉

pagan8th
    Participant
    9056xp

Instead of raging… you could always go watch the original B5 series…

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think it would be a lot harder to do a reboot of the series as you’ll never be able to implement the story telling of the overarching plotline.

I remember when it was originally aired, viewers were kept on the edge of their seats waiting for the next clue as to what was happening with the “shadows”. Sometimes you got a chunk of content, sometime just 30 secs. At the time (particularly for the sci-fi genre), everything was more episodic in nature. You could watch episodes out of order and not realise it (Star Trek the next generation was like this for the first few series), but Babylon 5 was different in that nearly every episode usually had two plotlines running at the same time (the normal episodic content and the over arching “shadows” plotline). It was new and innovative at the time, but today it’s more normal to see this happen and even drop the whole episode format in favour of a series just having one continual plotline running for the whole series.

So with the Shadow War plotline known, you’d have to redo things with a whole new overarch to bring back that feature that was the main draw for the viewers (the BIG mystery) at the time. Mind you I always HATED the end of the Shadow Wars with both the Shadows and the Vorlons walking off meekly hand in hand filled with the “wisdom” of Sherridan and the Humans to exile (personally I would have thought they would have demolished everything and given Sherridan a big wedgie on the way out 😀 ).

After the End of the Shadow Wars (and the series going over to the sci-fi channel), the quality of the production values and more importantly the scripts just tanked. and the spin off series Rangers, and particularly Crusade (just who did they employ to do the music scores for Crusade? It sounds like my cat walking across a keyboard 🙁 ) were absolutely awful and should NEVER be watched if you were a fan of the original series.

If you’ve never seen Babylon 5, just watch the first four series (the fourth series does start to tank in quality), avoid the fifth series and destroy any Rangers and Crusade DVDs you should come across. And hope that Agents of Gaming should find a way to relaunch the miniature game and minis again somehow 🙂

totsuzenheni
    Participant
    5651xp

Maybe someone should put ‘Spoilers’ in the topic heading.

I’m all for it. J. Michael Straczynski is making the right noises. I wasn’t aware that CW had been involved with Batwoman and that’s the first bad sign i’ve come across, but i would guess most studios have done something rubbish at some point.

SPOILERS > The stories of Babylons 1 through 4 could be interesting too. I think it could be a good way into the Babylon 5 story, for those that are coming to Babylon 5 blind at least, especially if Babylons 1 through 4 (or 1 through 3) weren’t precursors to the Babylon 5 project as such and their destruction was instead an opportunity for certain groups to repurpose the Babylon project.

innes
    11086xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, Batwoman is part of the Arrowverse collection of shows and is possibly the worst tv ever made. It’s so bad it’s funny.
    But I’m all for more B5 if it was guaranteed to be good. I guess we’ll see if it ever comes to anything.

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

has any of the setting come out may be interesting covering the B4 first shadow war.

admiralandy
    1642xp
    Cult of Games Member

@torros

Yes they told the story of the other Babylon Stations.

B1 – B3 sabotaged and blown up, see one of those at the end of In The Beginning Movie. There fates also described by a Character Jinxo in the David Warner episode (Grail maybe), in season 1 before B4 appears a few episodes later.

B4 featured in the show with a focused episode in Season 1 and a two-parter in seasn 3. With Zathras, Za’thras and Zathras’

It also involved Draal and The Great Machine, so there were a few episodes around the Babylon statsions both directly and referenced by characters.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  admiralandy.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)