Skip to toolbar

Contrast Paints, is everyone really using them and are they actually quicker?

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Contrast Paints, is everyone really using them and are they actually quicker?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 33 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  onlyonepinman 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll take a look at that one, cheers….

Really looking for a Napoleonics based one in 15mm, I’ve seen a few 28mm ones but they don’t seem to work as well (the reds and blues end up as being too vibrant and “washy” looking). I imagine the problems might be compounded with attempting smaller scale minis with bright colours (the contrast with darker hues and browns seem to work better overall so should do well in 15mm).

I’ve seen painters using the “bone” undercoat with the white contrast for leggings and straps for the troops that “sort of” works (they usually end up heavily dry brushing white over the top again). Not the fastest process, but again striving to make white on white uniforms simply “look” good is the challenge.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

You could try putting a thinned down Agrax or something similar over the top to dull the colours down a bit

ced1106
    Participant
    6207xp

> I’ve not seen any YouTube or Blog offerings where painters have done this for the smaller scale minis

At least for washes, it’s the flat surface and lack of texture that’s a problem, not necessarily the scale. 15mm may be better for contrast paints, since any flat surfaces are smaller than 28mm, so the paint is less likely to pool on any flat surface.

As for color, the advantage of Goober’s DIY is that, since the inks are inexpensive, you can fiddle with the ink color before adding the medium (matte medium and a little flow aid). Frex, to desaturate blue, you add some white. Then add an amount of medium equal to the number of drops you used to create the color.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am a little late to this party but I have been using them quite extensively recently.  When you need to churn out dozens of miniatures in a reasonably short space of time, as I did, they are definitely a very, very good option. I tend to finish them off with a thinned brown wash as well this helps to disguise any lack of neatness.  I have also used them with army Painter dip to great effect.

In the run up to a recent weekend long RPG session I painted probably getting on for 50 miniatures in around 3 weeks, although I certainly didn’t get chance to paint every day and also had a long weekend break during that time.  Not exactly to stunning quality but more than adequate to the job.  Here’s a few highlights

IMG_20210918_110431~3

IMG_20210918_110615~3

IMG_20210918_110749~3

IMG_20210918_110156~3

IMG_20210929_091813~2

I even took a few pots with me on the gaming weekend in order to speed paint a monster that had been 3D printed specifically for the game.  Sadly I had mixed the brown wash a little too strongly, but nevertheless, that took about half an hour, if that

IMG_20211002_114332~2

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)