Skip to toolbar

Supported by (Turn Off)

D20 Pro : yet another on-line rpg tool

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion D20 Pro : yet another on-line rpg tool

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

limburger
    Participant
    4540xp

So Wizards of the Coasts are getting into the on-line RPG tool business.
    It kind of makes sense, but the business model is a bit confusing/dodgy

Home Page

However … as with anything that is ‘free’ there is a catch, because for some reason they hid the info.

Pricelist :

– 30 day trial : DM + 4 guest license

– DM $50, includes 2 ‘free’ guest seats, 10$ per additional guest

– player license : 10$

– guest license : free, but you can only join a game if the DM has a ‘free’ guest seat available

As such the burden of the cost is on the DM.
    The 5e edition rules are going to cost you 600 ‘gold’ (playerhandbook + monster handbook), which appears to equate to 60$
    Adventures are listed at 250 gold (25 $).

It looks like some of the stuff is free (Pathfinder), but it looks like you’ll be paying for adventures + modules to use.
    I’m not sure how much of the content players need to purchase, but given what the market place lists it is the DM who needs to pay and the players only ever need the equivalent of the players’ handbook.

No voice chat as part of the app, so you’ll have to source your own. This can be good (use whatever works for your group) and bad (needing to use yet another 3rd party app)

I wonder how this will compare to existing options.
    This being ‘official’ will probably help sell it to the D&D community if they have never tried an on-line RPG tool to begin with.

The use of a virtual currency kind of stinks. Such things tend to hide the true cost.

2nddynasty
    Participant
    468xp

Is this really Wizards of the Coast though, or just licensed? The copyrights are Mesa Mundi Inc., anyone used it? I play a lot of Roll20, but haven’t tried this.

limburger
    Participant
    4540xp

It is officially licensed and listed by WotC on their D&D page under ‘digital games’.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/digital-games/pcmac/d20pro

So is Roll20 btw. So I’m not sure what the WoTC actually control in this product.

It looks like the primary difference is the use of a virtual currency in D20Pro that only works from within their app (their market place says so at least) and lack of integrated VoIP options.

2nddynasty
    Participant
    468xp

Well, I wouldn’t say the only difference, this has an app, which means it will likely be a fuck ton faster than Roll20, and not possibly not dependant on the servers.

limburger
    Participant
    4540xp

It’s also more of a hassle as you need an app which makes it a barrier to entry when inviting new players.

It kind of sucks as they have sort of hidden it within their site, but the potentially most interesting feature is indeed that it works off-line (‘… face-to-face without an internet connection! … ‘).

I’m not sure if DM & players would want to bring their tablets to the table, but that does have real potential.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  limburger.

kiranamida
    Participant
    367xp

This on top off what you may or may not have already sunk in dndbeyond.com on top of the physical books you probably already picked up when you started the game.

I admit I haven’t really got into using online tools for PR, prefering to get everyone into the same place for the good old fashioned shout about goblins at each other but the when Wizards (or someone on their behalf) is trying to get me to buy the same material for the second or third time… Yeah, I’ll stick to what I can get elsewhere: even if that means going without everything being integrated.

2nddynasty
    Participant
    468xp

To be fair, the pricing seems slightly more fair on this site, at least insofar as adventures are concerned. But what @kiranamida posted is really what is going to keep me. I have the physical books, and bought most of them already a second time for the same price on Roll20. That’s my barrier to beyond as well. There’s no consideration for digital products vs. printed products.

limburger
    Participant
    4540xp

That I definitely do agree.

All of them lock you into their business model by ensuring that any content can never be transferred to a different system.
    It also sucks that WoTC isn’t designing their products (= rulebooks and adventures) with these tools in mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)