Skip to toolbar

Gunpla Transformers models noob query

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Gunpla Transformers models noob query

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lawnor 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

Always happy to be of assistance (and to be a bad influence ;P ).

As far as advise? Take your time, keep an eye on the instructions, sub-assemblies are your friend, and be wary of little ****ing pieces that decide to commit seppuku by diving off your modelling table (no seriously – I’ve had multiple builds I’ve had to put on hold because one piece has disappeared into the ether, then months later been found nowhere near where it should have gone….)

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I always work over a tray to help minimise parts loss.  I know the dangers and the pain.  Shining a torch across / parallel to your carpet is the best way to fins small parts.  The moving shadow of a part is bigger and more obvious than the part itself.

Should I choose to pin wash later, am I safe to skip priming, even with a varnish, and carefully apply a little (thinned?) Nuln Oil in to the gaps without issue?  I fear even using varnish as primer will mess with the look/finish of the piece.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

Depends on the wash you are using – some can actually eat the plastic most Gunpla-type kits are made from due to how thin the parts tend to be. Now I’ve not done this myself but most of the sites I follow do recommend a top coat with some kind varnish, either prior to panel lining or after. For the most part though a varnish will tend to enhance rather than detract from the finish.

I would say if you are at all uncertain, grab a cheapo-gunpla kit of some sort to practice on first

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll save some sprue and test my chemicals and finishes on that first.  Good to know.  Thanks.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

No worries – looking forward to see the end result 🙂
    I meanwhile have just had a big delivery of back-ordered kits from HLJ turn up this week – very Gundam SEED heavy with no less than 4 of the various Strike Gundam kits (what can I say – SEED has some killer mecha design). I need to get some painting done tomorrow for my March For Macragge goal, but I might spend Sunday messing around with Striker Packs (the reason I brought several of the kits…)

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

If I enjoy this I can see myself keeping an eye out for the rest of the line coming and and out of stock over time.  I think I’d have to watch some Gundam before I’d want to build any of them.  I do see a few Evangelion kits out there though, and who knows what else I might find? I’ve even seen a few Zoids kits.  Chaotic Century was actually very good.  not sure what else they have.   If I were to try and get in to Gundam now, do you have any suggested starting points?  I mostly watch TV while painting so subbed content isn’t great.  I have Netflix and potential access to other stuff.

When I build prime I imagine I’ll create a project and document it from the viewpoint of a first timer and review of the kit and experience.  perhaps it’ll help someone else further down the road?  I’ve clicked follow on your project so I’ll be keping an eye out for your new toys.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

Gundam is a funny old franchise – 40 years and still going strong. It can be a tricky franchise to get into, but thankfully there are multiple options out there:

• The “main” Gundam timeline is the Universal Century (or UC), and begins in UC0079 detailing the events of The One Year War. The majority of Gundam content uses this as a frame of reference in some way, even those in alternate timelines. Netflix has the 3 Gundam films that compiled the original 50 episode series together, as well as the sequel film Chars Counter Attack, the Gundam Unicorn series and the more recent Gundam: Hathaway. Now the first three films are subtitled only, but the rest have dubs available. Just be aware that there were 2 additional tv series set between the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Chars Counter Attack (Zeta and Double Zeta) that are not on there yet.
    • Tieing into this is Gundam: The Origin, an animated adaptation of a manga by one of the key creatives behind MSG  that shows events that lead up to the original series, and then carried on with a retelling of the story as a whole.
    • There are also a number of side stories set around these events that have been animated and are excellent (The 08th MS Team, Gundam: War in the Pocket, Gundam 0083, Gundam Thunderbolt).
    • Alternatively if you want a clean break, then you have a plethora of alternate timelines to dip into – Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED & SEED Destiny, Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, Gundam 00, Mobile Suit Gundam G Fighter, all of which are their own continuities and require no prior knowledge of the franchise.
    • In terms of accessing these? Well IBO is also on Netflix, and a lot of the others are available on Funimation & Crunchyroll (both of whom have free trials and lots, lots more mecha available), but there is also the official Gundam Info channel on YouTube – they actually just finished 3 weeks of rotating streaming of movies and series from across the Gundam franchise, but always have some content available to watch (with dubs), and often have exclusive streams of new releases (again, quite often dubbed).

And yes, I will be most interested to see your project, and have no doubt it will be of use to other newbies as they get into the hobby (I’ll freely admit, mine is more just posting stuff I’ve been fiddlying with when bored ;P )

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thats a lot of gundam!  Mind you, I checked out the Transformers timelines earlier today, and there’s quite a few there now too.  Even the Gobots is now officially an alternate reality of Transformers.  Dunno if that ever comes up in any content though.  I’m currently working through old SNL while painting (32ish seasons to go) and I’m tempted by Transformers now too.  I could really use another year or furlough to catch up on everything.  I blitzed 6 years of Critical Role and a bunch of other stuff during the last round.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished the build this weekend, and created a project for it: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1734220/

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)