Skip to toolbar

GW Once Again Taking a Giant Dump on Retailers

Home Forums Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions GW Once Again Taking a Giant Dump on Retailers

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mousaka 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

GW have allocated one single solitary box of the new beasty Orks to the biggest miniature wargames store in Australia/New Zealand. They can’t even sell the box because it would cost more to list it than they would make from the one sale.

Oh but COVID and oh we didn’t have time. Then delay the release don’t hurt your retailers.

Mighty Ape have been hyping the product, they’ve been promoting it and now they get spat on, GW and the FOMO/Print not enough then make the rest later is disgusting. They already tried to kill the retailers many moons ago and now it looks like they’re just going to starve them of stock.Screenshot_20210712-150350

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

As is said in

GW Allocations on Beast Snagga Ork Box

Fuck! That’s low!

bubbles15
    Participant
    2298xp

I’m really sorry, but I’m not following the gist of what you’re saying.

Are you saying that Australia has received only the one box, or that this one retailer has only received one box?

I genuinely don’t understand ‘Oh but covid oh but we didn’t have time’ – are those separate statements or is the suggestion the release was rushed due to covid?

On the Australia and NZ issue, I’ve a chum with a vineyard in Oz and when he posts me a crate of wine for ‘Christmas’ I usually receive it in about March. Moving things around is expensive and time consuming and when the market is much smaller (and yes, if there’s more choice, there’s more sales) it necessarily makes selling in Australia more expensive. I’m sure there are folk willing to buy the box in the UK and post it to Australia/New Zealand. I do this with a ‘shopper’ in Japan for weird electronics.

Equally though, buying – for example – Hot Toy 1/6th scale models in Australia is cheaper than posting to the UK – admittedly, most of that is offensive import duties and taxes, but that’s a different complaint.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

This retailer which is massive is receiving only one box. From other stuff I’ve seen it looks like most are only getting one box.

I was suggesting that GW will likely blame COVID for this or they’ll blame something else like the Suez or Brexit when in reality they have complete control over when this box gets released so even all those things did slow it down they could just postpone it rather than hurting retailers.

They manage to get every other box to Australia no problem and they aren’t having the same issues getting boxes to the official GW stores in Australia so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. We already get screwed with massively higher prices than the rest of the world.

Shipping isn’t an issue because their stores will be stocked. Once again they don’t print enough, it sells out in a few minutes then scalpers make money while retailers miss out.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Same old same old. It does seem that it is long past the time where complaining about GW is worthwhile. Just take your hobby money and spend it with companies who actually care.

solar
    Participant
    2731xp

Typical rubbish from GW. They have always had an antagonistic relationship with 3rd parties (including Beasts of War back in the day). I would say that PR does get a bad rep but GW are in dire need of someone who actually understands it in their organisation.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

GW has no incentive to change. The business model seems to be designed to rinse existing customers (whales) rather then grow the player base significantly.

horus500
    11505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah as a former FLGS owner from Australia I’d be more surprised if GW didn’t screw over NZ and Oz

frankdrebin
    Participant
    285xp

Sorry, what’s the reference to GW customers being whales?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@frankdrebin  “Whales” is a term that comes from the mobile video games industry. You probably know these “Free to play” smartphone games with micro transactions in them? “Pay real money for in-game-money”to get better gear, weapons or reduce wait times? Most players don’t spend anything or very little but a few players (the whales) spend an awful lot. We’re talking hundreds and thousands of dollars on mobile game. Companies want to keep those players happy and try to milk them of every cent. @tankkommander is comparing those with the “normal” GW fanboy that is buying *everything* no matter what. I hope that helped a bit.

frankdrebin
    Participant
    285xp

Thanks @sundancer , I’m familiar with the term ‘whales’, was just unsure whether I was supposed to feel social media outrage or not ?.

I am an existing GW customer, so apparently according to @tankkommander I am a whale…

(Kindly you said ‘a few players’, but the original post didnt)

If anyone really feels they need to have a go at any of the companies involved in this fantastic hobby, so be it, but their customers are fellow gamers, who are all individuals with different gaming styles, gaming interests etc. Let’s not label them.

I’ve gamed since the 80s, with hundreds of rules, never once taken part in a tournament and only ever played socially with mates. I buy what GW products I like, and normally before I’ve seen their stats.

Dont think I’m a whale…I have been to Wales though, which is a lovely country. ????????

soulman
    2945xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just popped to the Uk website….. 20 minute wait to get in…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Comedy gold…

solar
    Participant
    2731xp

Sold out on GW websites, scalpers already listed on ebay…. hahaha FU GW

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Now only £300 on ebay

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

The only thing that will be on GW’s mind is : shit … we could have made them pay even more … that 5 Euro price increase could have been 50 and people would have bought it.

GW isn’t going to suffer, unless the scalpers themselves can’t sell their goods at inflated prices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)