Skip to toolbar

GW teases "The Primaris Lieutenant You've Been Waiting For"

Home Forums Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions GW teases "The Primaris Lieutenant You've Been Waiting For"

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 56 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mecha82 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

The new GW has been been trying to be funny for a while now.
    This time it probably didn’t work (for some) of their audience.

I must say I didn’t see the dead primaris marine at first … now I get it.
    The only good primaris marine *is* a dead one. 😉

btw :

The ‘classic’ spacemarines still have statlines in the spacemarine codex and killteam rules.
    So there is both a fluffy and a mechanical reason to keep using them (if you want to).

OTOH … it does make sense that warfare in 40th millenium keeps evolving.
    As such it makes sense that even the spacemarines get upgrades. And like in real life … the supplies of the ‘old’ gear will eventually run out and you either have to use the new stuff or suffer the consequences.

Keep in mind that factions like the Eldar didn’t have the aspect warriors at first, until they got released and written into their background (and that’s before they were a mere pirate faction in the Rogue trader edition … ). With aspect warriors being ‘improved’ units of standard infantry the need for the latter diminished as well.

So it’s not like the first time a faction was affected by new infantry units that ‘suddenly’ appeared. The primaris may be a little more successful at completely replacing the ‘classic’ variant.

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

Yes regular Marines currently have statlines in Codex and Kill Team but that can easily change once GW possible removes them from production and keeps focusing on replacing them with Primaris Marines. After all we all know that GW doesn’t like to keep rules for models that they don’t make. So it’s possible that 9th edition or 10th edition doesn’t have that option anymore making those models worthless pieces of plastic. IMO way they did with Plague Marines is much better. They gave them new models but as unit those are still same Plague Marines just like with old models.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mecha82 are you still collecting  Space Marines and are you buying Primaris kis

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

Well I still collect some Space Marines for both armies that I have and I have some Primaris kits (not many) but currently I am focusing on my Death Guard project and I am really waiting SoB. So least before that I won’t be buying more Space Marines.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

GW cater to the buyers, not people with existing collections.  People collecting Space Marines right now are primarily buying Primaris.  If GW cancelled the old Marines then most collectors will have an army of Primaris Marines and the loss of validity of any old Marines probably isn’t going to be a problem.  If you’re not actively buying Marines, as callous as this may sound, GW owe you nothing.

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

Thing is even if I did actively buy Marines it might not be enough just me to keep buying them if others don’t do that as well because war doesn’t miss one man. Plus rumors that those might be discontinued surely haven’t helped at all. Then again I and anyone else in that matter don’t own anything to GW either so I have no reason to stay loyal to them if I see fit. My love for 40k only goes so far.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mecha82 : at least they didn’t get squatted …

Current stat lines only matter if you want to play in tournaments or are playing in a group who only want to use ‘official’ rules.
    Anything else is simply a matter of buying enough while stock lasts for any given faction within any given (fictional) rules system, because businesses will only ever support whatever is profitable.

As such the only way for the ‘classic’ spacemarine to remain in stock is if enough players keep buying them.
    Anything else and they will get retired/replaced by whatever sells best.

Of course the stat lines kind of create a self fullfilling prophecy if the primaris offer a better return on investment compared to the ‘classics’. But at the same time it would be odd if the ‘new’ variants weren’t better when the fluff says they are.

// —

Isn’t Horus himself called ‘the warmaster’ ?
    Or does that title apply to both Horus and Abbadon (sp?) ?

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

There is whole vicious circle thing as well. More something is supported more people will buy and it’s going to be supported even more. It also works other way around like demise of WHFB shows were GW barely supported it meaning declining sales but it was very likely planned that way. Way Primaris Marines are currently means that they don’t have as much options as regular Marines when it comes to both units and wargear options that in turn still have they uses because of that.

I might remember wrong but Abaddon pretty much took title of Warmaster after Horus had died at end of HH. So he is pretty much in charge now.

kevlin
    Participant
    1687xp

Abbadon has been in charge for while now. It is his 13th crusade into the empire of man and it looks like this time he will reach Terra or at least close to it. First stop Cadia, second stop Vigilus. Going to be interesting to see what the story will be there.

zorg
    18736xp
    Cult of Games Member

a possible development in 40K future ?

kevlin
    Participant
    1687xp

Would love some civil war. If the right Primark comes back there will be huge internal conflicts.

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

There is already chapters that aren’t happy about having to have Primaris among they ranks. If Civil War does happen I am sure that both Sons of Lion and Sons of Russ are among those chapters that choose to oppose Gulliman and his drive to have Primaris take over every chapter.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)