Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 02/11/2018 – Straight to Video Edition

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 02/11/2018 – Straight to Video Edition

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 95 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • Author

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I had heard more than that but that was a few years ago do can’t really remember now. Least there still in production

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, it’s Sunday morning and i’m all caffeinated up, so let’s get going…

@sundancer oh no! well hopefully someone can point you in the direction of a new series or genre – I haven’t read then yet but I have heard good things about the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher, have you considered having a look at them? like the idea of a 42 mini paintathon – at least it sounds sort of manageable around real life commitments. The CSM force looks great! Nice to see a force can be put together so quickly. 40 Republic Credits for responses and posts.

@rayzryr glad to hear your hobby motivation is back online 🙂 Cheers, fire is closer to getting under control now. As I understand it due to the terrain there was nowhere to set up a containment line so they had to let it burn before it could be properly brought under control. Taking a full week for a painting challenge does sound like a fun approach. Although personally I’d feel guilty that I wasn’t doing all the things that need to be fixed around the house… Good point on massed troops – I suppose once they are all packed in and ranked up you do tend to look at them as a big block anyhow rather than as individual models. Ah hadn’t heard of using olive oil as a solution for frosted varnish -seems to have worked well thanks for the tip 🙂 Orcs are looking fantastic! Great work. and gotta love Rob Zombie 🙂 60 Republic Credits for tunes, progress, responses and posts.

@woldenspoons back when I had more time to read I used to find myself rereading my favourites a fair bit too – I think I have read Hitchhikers Guide about 8 times… Painting handle is a good strategy if doing a marathon session – to be honest I wouldn’t usually think about physical fatigue when siting down for a long painting stint, would definitely be worth considering and factoring in in advance of trying something. 30 Republic Credits for responses etc.

@horati0nosebl0wer best of luck wrapping up the commission 😉 yeah a good point re speedpainting to hit an arbitrary deadline – the quality would definitely suffer. If I recall correctly a few of the people I’ve seen attempt something similar have aimed for a ‘three colour army’ or ‘a unit done to tabletop’ so I guess they are not pushing the envelope as far as quality is concerned, and could always retouch later. interesting point re modding masses of generic plastic into unique minis – I guess that’s like having your cake and eating it too 🙂 I’m now giggling at the idea of doing up a muscled orc mini with too much orange spray tan and oil that just poses and looks in the mirror 😛 Or quaffs too many potions of Bulls Strength… 40 Republic Credits for responses and posts.

@dawfydd wow that’s a mountain of stuff to read/listen to! Odd to think that there would still be development left on the Robotech side of the franchise after 30 years (well other than issuance of new heartbreakingly beautiful high detail scale collectibles). Ah that show was my gateway drug into anime, Transformers and Battletech (which then got me into broader tabletop gaming). Funny how things work out.. Hrm mini paintathons every week! Sounds cool. I hear you on the during the week thing, i’m personally usually too wrecked when I get home to focus on tiny details on a miniature – hoping the new lamp may help out a bit. Heh yes there is something fun about hunting down appropriate proxy minis for older games, it’s good sport 🙂 I did see Zealot minis ran a KS a few weeks ago for minis which were not at all exactly like what was required for HeroQuest (This followed on from one of their previous KS’s which had furniture which was almost not quite exactly like what was required for HeroQuest ;-P ). I do like the stuff from Twisted, hope you have fun with the mini when she arrives. 30 Republic Credits for responses.

OK page 2+ responses later…

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@a27cromwell regrettably (and much to my shame) have only read Wee Free men and Good Omens on the Pratchett front, which makes me something of an aberration in my social circles 🙂 I really must get around to reading a bit more of his stuff. day to day life of a Churchill commander on the continent in ’44/’45? I can’t imagine that would have been overly dull… Yes you are right, hobby is supposed to be a way to unwind, I guess I do sometimes have a nagging sense of guilt about all the things I want to get done and the fact that so many projects have stalled so a bit of a burst of activity could be viewed as helping to reduce stress? Don’t worry, not even I’m buying that justification 😛 Yes I love seeing your conversion work. I must confess that sculpting is still something I struggle with so I tend to put off anything more complicated than small joint bends or part swaps. Best of luck progressing the ork plane 🙂 30 Republic Credits for post responses.

@horati0nosebl0wer I keep flagging KS’s for reminders, then get the reminder emails invariably when at work and by the time I get home have forgotten to have a look at the project for proper consideration. By the time I do remember I am invariably too late. Missed out on some 28mm Austrians and 10mm ogres tis week. If KS introduce a reminder for their reminders feature then I am done 😛 30 points for responses and tunes.

@sundancer ha yes ‘it depends; is the best answer 🙂 yes the older GW trolls did have a particular look to them. I did quite like the river troll sculpts too. Thanks do much for all the games day photos! those tables look amazing! Hope you had a chance to get some fun games in. 40 Republic Credits for responses, photos and tunes.

@dawfydd great job on the wolves. and nice photos of the colour shift paints! I know how difficult they can be to photograph. How are you finding them to work with? I gave the ones from Green Stuff World a go through the airbrush a while ago but it was over a white undercoat so I think i made it more difficult for myself than it needed to be. regardless, your results look great!  30 Republic Credits for hobby progress and embracing your inner subversive and not following the directions when using the shiny new hobby product 🙂

@mage hope you are caught up on a little sleep and having some nice time with your son 🙂 10 Republic Credits for the happy mental image of a cheery Marine toasting at a banquet 🙂

@torros nice spot I didn’t even see hexes on anything but the Battletech table on the first pass. Nice to see that games that don’t take off everywhere can still find a home and active community in local areas. 10 Republic Credits.

@evilstu @sundancer Dresden Files are a great series to follow. The short lived series on the Syfy channel was a disaster in trying to get all sorts of material into a television show. It was a valiant effort though and I applaud them for it. The special effects were probably way too expensive for what they were initially thinking.

Yes.. sleep is goo-HOLY CRAP!!!! Random finds for miniatures of interest. @evilstu … I believe there is a spirit animal that was made for you aside from that creepy ass dropbear. I present … The Korilla!  It apparently was part of the Arcadia Quest Inferno box set

b93838cdabb21aa46f5e09f8e158a557_original

I’m not certain I can go to sleep now that I’ve seen this.

@a27cromwell Thought that this might be of interest in future if you go for more large vehicles. The fact that it was an ork plane moved me to pass along the info.

@evilstu Robotech and Lupin the 3rd were my introduction to waifus before that was even a concept. Speaking of… Albedo is love.. well as an alternate to the beloved Rem of Re:Zero

Ok… I’m awake after listening to the following…. may need some calm tunes

**sigh** Ok… I melted. This helps ease the brain.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

So whilst I was waiting for washes to dry on the Wolves and Deathwatch I was also chipping away at the squad of Dark Angels Legionaries  / Fallen Angels  that I had kitbashed together. Still need some Leadbelcher/Gunmetal applied to the joint seals & weapons, then a cleanup on the armour plates where I’ve over-painted, but I dig how they are coming together. It was  a lot of fun mixing parts from different Marine kits, trying to give each one it’s own character…

2018-11-03 21.33.02

Oh, and used up the last of my Stirland Battlemire to base up this bad boy for purging the Xenos 😉

2018-11-03 22.13.10

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu yeah, nothing really new to Robotech, which isn’t much of a surprise giving Harmony Gold’s stellar attempts at new animation, but Roboskullcast is fun as it’s just two dudes shooting shit and having a ball discussing each episode (and hey,they even did a special on Do you Remember love? a film that had about the same impact on my 10-year old psyche as Akira and Laputa…) but they have been recapping the current Robotch comic from Titan, which is a very  intriguing read as it’s attempting to update the story to a more modern sensibility….

And yeah, the colourshifts were interesting. I think I might need to try on something with a curved surface though….

@horati0nosebl0wer I managed the first 2 eps of RE:Zero but just dropped off as that was a VERY manic season. I have heard good things though.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Sunday Sunday!

@horati0nosebl0wer no worries here, it’s @evilstu copping all the heat! Chazwozzer? ??

Oiled up hunks of orc flesh? There’s no “ulterior” Lolol!

But, yeah, it seems to have worked well. Most of the oil seems to have evaporated, leaving a little bit of a satin sheen, but not full-gloss.

What the bloody hell is that mate? What is a Korilla?!? It looks like some kind of Werecreature!

@dawfydd Mierce and Corvus Belli do indeed make fine looking minis. Great work on the wolves!

The colour shift paints look good in the pictures, is each bottle a colour on its own, or do you mix/ layer the paints?

I’ve been wanting to use something like that on my KD Dung Beetle Knight, make him look like a Christmas Beetle.

Yes, excellent Heresy-era Dark Angels! I’m going to have to do some more of my own soon…

@evilstu seems like the danger has passed? That’s good to hear!

Yes, I probably would feel guilty like that too: it always bothers me when I want to sit down and paint, but then I think of “other stuff” that needs doing. I can’t paint with a “guilty conscience” lol!

I found that tip online. It seems to have worked well! The guy even posted back 3 years after publishing it to say his minis were still good!

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr each one is it’s own colour – Dark Net for the Sgts Xenophase blade, Blue Raspberry for the power swords & axe, and i tried the afterburner on the handflamer of the Blackshield. I have no idea how mixing them would work (if it would) but how they look before application is…..interesting (let to right: Afterburner, Blue  Raspberry, Dark Net)

2018-11-03 17.14.37

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh, and I meant to mention – after burning through all the new podcast episodes I mentioned that were queued up I started on the backlog of Dev Game Club going back  to last year (a fun cast where a pair of ex-Lucasarts game developers still involved in the industry play a classic game each month offering thoughts on it each week. Often fascinating, and I’m currently working through their play through of the phenomenal Planescape Torment) and then discovered that Realmslayer had unlocked in my Audible account so I’m now half way through Gotrek Gurnnison’s first adventures in the Age of Sigmar….

And speaking of The Dresden Files, apparently there’s talk of taking another stab at adapting it for TV (anything to alleviate the wait for Peace Talks), but I am still gutted The Aeronauts Windlass hasn’t gotten a sequel – that was a fun book.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sunday morning. Hello lads. I’m off to the second day of Gamesday. Do more hobby stuff and such.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

So, my day consisted mostly of helping my daughter with a school project. The best kind of school project: build a model “something”! In this case it was for history, and she wanted to build a pyramid. ?

Not “technically” hobby, but it used the same skills ?

Cardboard core:

A25883E4-B998-4CE4-AC20-B506B6F9D0789F487084-37B8-4ADA-9104-DC1B0CF6A382

Airdrying clay for the outside:

5EF4D23F-0811-486E-A5F6-42A1233F04298B24CA43-A37B-42A6-826F-D65F6CC5E4EA

Then carve the bricks:

C1C5BA6B-8174-40D0-8EEC-56D9F5CF8232F9FF26CF-0B52-4DB8-AEF6-4B5B2D2DA76C

Currently it’s drying in the garage, and it will shrink as it dries. It would probably have been better taking the cardboard form out, but I’m not sure it would have stood on its’ own. Anyhow, we will see how it goes.

For this evening I’ll leave aside the hobby. Tomorrow night my regular fortnightly RPG group should be back together following a lengthy break. Tonight, I’m going to finish watching Daredevil, I think I’ve got 3 episodes left, it has been a great series!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Ok, I can finally pop in here properly. My son is gone home after this visit so I can now do hobby orientated stuff. Time to sit down and catch up.

My pledge:

-> Complete my 100 models in 24 hours challenge (basecoats)
    -> Complete the Goblin King.

Ill add more to it as a I complete stuff and post pictures, but I like to pledge small and produce large.

@evilstu

My answers!

1. What’s in your reading pile at the moment (podcasts totally count as reading in time-poor 2018 BTW)

A few things. The D&D Storm Kings Thunder campaign book. We are on Chapter 10. You can never make yourself too familiar with a scenario you are running. Especially one you have not written yourself. I also have a Legend of Zelda Manga I picked up a couple of weeks ago in Galway to read. There is also Skyheart, a kickstarter comic book I backed and received. And the Konflikt 47 rulebook. Also the youtube channels I watch (Tested, Boogie2988, Mecha Gaikotsu, Trainer Tips). Im all caught up on Bleach on Netflix. There is only three Seasons. I have Season 4 and 5 on DVD but they are filler Seasons. Ive ordered the next on DVD in the mail at a good price. Im a collector and like my hard copies too. The new Live Action movie renewed my interest in something I stopped with a long time ago which I still care about and love.

2. Prompted by the antics of @mage last week, have you ever considered an ‘iron hobby’ challenge where you set yourself a short deadline to churn out a lot of hobby output? If you were going to attempt one, what goals would you set yourself? What rules would you put in place?

Um… is this a trick question… Yes? I shall do another! BWAHAHAHA!

I might set another one for Thursday. Going away Wednesday evening so that might not work. Or Tuesday to Wednesday and Thursday to Friday. Hmmm….

3. Are bespoke miniatures your thing or do you prefer large quantities of homothetic plastic minis? That is, if you had credit for a big online miniatures store, would you prefer to use it for a few low-quantity run miniatures form a small manufacturer, or a higher number of plastic miniatures from a larger manufacturer? No right or wrong answers, just keen to hear people’s thoughts. 10 years ago I would have gone for the ‘more is more’ option but nowadays I’m personally morre drawn to things that are a little more individual

Bespoke? Homothetic? What?

It depends on what I am in the mood for to be honest. If I have churned out a lot of minis, say a horde of 40 Corsairs for my Dark Elves last year, then I tend to want to do something different like a few characters, a different genre, or scale, or a monster. Or just build a bunch of stuff and go back to painting other things.

At the moment, I want to build up my terrain. Thanks to @evilstu that has worked. So some terrain and some matts to put said terrain on and play. Also I want to build a Goblin town board. I do want a bunch of Frostgrave, Perry, Fireforge plastic kits for kitbashing.

Also, I want various AoS kits to do conversoins and parts swaps and have a unique looking army (though I am copying a lot of the ideas off GW painter Chris Peach’s twitter pics of his Order army). I want Greatswords, Dark Elves Warriors, Wood Elf Wildwood Rangers, a Hurricanum. Some other stuff…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@evilstu

Banquests* always work. Slept ok ish. Coffee time now. Setting up my hobby space.

@horati0nosebl0wer is that a koala ogre?

@dawyfdd I really dig your fallen

@rayzryr I see you got my reference, haha.

A coworker walked passed, I pulled out a spoon and said ‘This is a knife’.

He went: ‘No its not… I… don’t have time to play that game…’ and kept walking. Heehee.

Nice Pyramid. I like it! You can always reappropriate it down the line!

@sundancer Enjoy day 2!

*Excellent pun or unintentional spelling mistake? Ok, back to pages 1 and 2 later. Mage OUT

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Back! More pictures!

IMG_20181104_131633113IMG_20181104_140108590IMG_20181104_153050505IMG_20181104_143832211IMG_20181104_163820564

@dawyfydd The terminator and troops looks awesome and the base material is interesting. I was wondering if the GW pots were the small or large ones. I’ve purchased some Vallejo effects that are generally used for armor and played with doing work on my custom  bases that come in larger containers. If you plan on doing more mud/soil that might be something to look at as well. You say that there is possibly more Dresden Files to come? Tell me more of this thing you speak of.

@rayzryr Looking at all the work for the Dung Beetle Knight the color shift idea is great. I’d suggest a thin coat of gloss black under it and maybe a coat of silver over that before hitting it with the color shifts. I’m brave enough to get a small selection from KD but it is slow in mustering the courage to paint them. Its like one of the analogies in the third (fourth?) book in the  Nightwatch series likening the training somebody went through was to hold a bar so high and top it with razor wire that when  got over you knew you had succeeded but also knew you had left something behind and were scarred for the effort. I’m taking these things slowly with a base building approach and paiting the artisinal tier below them in Privateer Press’ Minicrate subscription.

Did you build that pyramid out of Fimo or Sculpey? Thinking about watching sculpting I’ve tuned into a Japanese hobby sculptor on YouTube that has made some pretty cool pieces. I get hit with the sense of moe when I saw the Platelet character finished.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFlb1Hh2cCtQ4vyPMJxS3Nw

@mage Glad to have you back. Good to hear that things have put you into a good enough mood to try for another insane test of mettle.

I believe that I mentioned the 300 Spartan challenge that some fool did in the past. I’ve gone and done the leg work of finding you the Spartans from Crocodile Games in their Wargods line. For a full set of 300 Hoplites that’ll be 25 boxes. Then again you can play around with a command group as well and there are supplemental units for range. Let it be known that I will not go into historical wargaming and paint at these numbers. @oriskany You sir have the best idea with your chits.

About this knife business… you need the power of a titanium spork… in traditional fashion

titanium-sporks-2

Or kitted out for the 21st century

titanium-sork-multi

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)