Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 05/04/19 Weave me a yarn

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 05/04/19 Weave me a yarn

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 97 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  tuffyears 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Ok, I have an hour or less to get off my backside and get ready for the movies. I feel midly ombie-like after my night shift. I think a wash, change of clothes, brushing of the teeth and a coffess is in order. And some work on My Minotaur Redemptor, just a little. Focussing on just the one thing today which is more relaxing.

The drying time and waiting between it means slow and not large amounts of progress but the focus on just one thing is calming and the progress is more steady. Im not butterflying from one thing to the other. Might get it finished tonight, might not, but Im enjoying it. I might do the two Ironclads next… Smaller Dreadnoughts but quick turnaround time too.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage still got to dull coat the lynx

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@tuffyears <100 rupees>

8 tanks and two choppers done this weekend? Phew! Wow! 100 rupees

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage i wish i was that fast only 3 tanks and 2 choppers done this weekend. i did the other 5 a week or so ago

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

20 points per completed tank sized mini still seems fair to me though

Anyway I gotta get ready for the movies, later guys!

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@tuffyears they do look great. Can I have some details on what they are and which game they are for?

@mage The models are plastic and colour coded and the terrain is resin I think. You get 6 heroes of varying types. 2 humans, 1 robot and 3 aliens. For the creatures you get bad scientists, security guards, marines, rangers and plague. You then also get 5 bosses of various sizes. I think it might be the game with the best and most content I’ve come across.

For black Legion I have the almighty P3 paint, coal black for flavour. Plus retributor gold and flesh shade. Should be easy.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons Team Yankee, its a”what if the cold war warmed up a bit.” game, set in the 80’s. the force i have been painting is a British Armour company

https://www.team-yankee.com/

These are the two boxes i built

ThumbnailThumbnail (1)

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  tuffyears.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage ah Victory. Doesn’t go quite so “full anime” as Super God Masterforce, but strays more in that direction than Headmasters….

Okay then, so the dinosaurs and the dudes with the clubs are one and the same, and go by the name of the Dinoforce. They were repaints of the late-G1 Monsterbot team of Pretender combiners who in  the US release had squishy monster shells whilst the Dinoforce swapped those for shells that looked like dinosaurs. In the show they are generally played as dumb-as-rocks comic relief. Originals are damn near impossible to find for either variant as the rubber in the shells degraded fairly quickly, but Fansproject were doing their own take a few years ago in a semi-Masterpiece scale. The shells were sold separately as a very limited run but the bots a fairly common still.

And your to buy list:

• Twinferno – Forbidden Planet still have a few in stock for a decent price: https://forbiddenplanet.com/224164-transformers-generations-action-figure-titans-return-deluxe-twinferno/  and at Kapow: https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-titans-return-deluxe-twinferno.html
    • Luckily, Kapow also have Hardhead still in stock: https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-titans-return-deluxe-hardhead.html
    • But unfortunately their available Chromedome is only the Takara version which is a bit pricier, but has a different headsculpt to better resemble the carton version, comes with one of the Titanmaster vehicle/weapons, and generally has nicer paint applications https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-legends-lg-32-chromedome.html
    • And if you also want Twinferno’s bro’s then Grotesque & Repugnus are in  a 2-pack: https://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/transformers-legends-lg-ex-grotusque-repugnus-exclusive.html

And Deskbot? It’s a bit of a thing among some TF fans on  social media to post up a TF (or similar bot) that you might have on your desk. Some folks have it on their home desk, some lucky sods (off whom I am NOT A T ALL jealous) get away with doing it in their work places.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

Alternatively @mage WeiJang have made over-sized knock-off versions of the Titans Return Headmasters that a lot of folks consider superior to the official Hasbro & Takara versions https://tf-direct.com/weijiang-oversized-headmater-p1958.html

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s the *wheeeeeeeee* kender … again 😀

@mage That cracked earth looks pretty good. Too bad it is red, ’cause it does look like the kind of thing I’d want to use for my minions (when I get to painting them).

First a terrain video I stumbled upon :

He sure as heck isn’t kidding with the ‘realistic terrain’ label.

1. Have you played many or any narrative play or games? Or narrative modes of exsiting games? And what would you recommend?

When I play computer games it is for the narrative/story … which is why I get bored when the story sucks.
    Off line ? Except for D&D I haven’t really.
    Might I recommend ‘This war of mine’ ?
    It is extremely depressing and definitely ‘mature’, but definitely worth playing once.
    The boardgame version ought to be a similar experience.

2. Have you ever played a one player tabletop game (card, board, mini or other)?
    Not yet, but it is one of the aspects I look for when I backed ‘Walking dead:all out war’,’Core space’ recently.

3. Is there any game in the spirit of the above two questions you are eyeing up?
    There’s Hellboy … (inbound as we speak) and Human Interface:Be a better human (a few more months of waiting).
    Black rose wars has a solo mode as well, but I don’t know when that will arrive.

So there’s always something to look forward to 😀
    I do know Hellboy will be available at retail, but everything else is likely to be so rare that it might as well be kickstarter exclusive.

//

Speaking of my minions :

Got to build their boss and the rest of their army.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert – Salute was great. Getting there not so much! With trains from Brighton to London being a bit hit-and-miss at best, then numerous stations for the DLR being closed along the way (and Custom House also being closed) it was quite a relief to finally get there!

Meeting the Beasties was brilliant. Big Ben from 4Ground was an absolute gent, and it was great to see TerrainTutor Mel dashing about being so busy.

There were *loads* of different miniatures suppliers there this year. Absolutely loads. Covering just about every genre you can think of (even some weird wind-in-the-willows type characters). Went home tired but happy. Just managed to avoid the football crowd (Brighton were playing at Wembley in the semi finals so dashed off earlier than I would have liked, but still enjoyed the day).

The wallet?

Yep, it’s a bit lighter than when I arrived (probably a bit lighter than necessary to keep me out of trouble with the wife) but I snagged some nice bits to add to the plastic/lead pile 😉

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I’d be remiss  in not reccomending you check out Humble Bundles complete collection of everything from IDW’s first 13 years of Transformers comics – ‘Screamer gets some great material in there, especially in the post-war run. it’s upfor 3 more days: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-2019-idw-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5c993ab5ddb829476adf315e:ot:56c3d9ec733462ca893f85b8:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019_03_27_transformers2019_bookbundle&linkID=&utm_content=logo

@blink465 not gonna deny, bummed that I missed Salute this year but good to hear you had a good time 🙂

@limburger wow that terrain looks good.  And don’t worry too much about the colour of the cracked earth – I’ve seen more than a few vids where folks use it as a base coat and paint over the top (there was a fantastic tutorial I saw for doing icey bases that used one to simulate cracking ice)

Off to see Shazam! later this morning, which I cannot wait for as I’ve always had a soft spot for the Big Red Cheese, and Zach Levi always gets a shot from his time on Chuck.

It’s also the start of the Spring anime season so I’m preparing to endure what looks good from the key art and description. it’s like Russian Roulette where you can end up hooked on a show with no redeeming features…. Plus side though looks like the last episode of the current run of Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato 2202 is up so can watch that later 🙂

Anonymous
    0xp

@marcuslamb welcome and good work on the Skaven.  I’ve been playing a bit of BB2 on the computer recently, mainly to try and relearn BB so when I do actually get a game of BB, I won’t be a complete beginner again!  Keep putting your pictures up here as well!

@sundancer did you see that Warlord Games are releasing a Korean book for Bolt Action.  While that may not interest you, they did show off a MASH team in miniature form at Salute yesterday.  Haven’t seen good/close enough photos to comment of how good they are, but might be of interest to you.  Will try and get “back” on track, choo, choo!

@tuffyears I love the back screen in your photos, is it from Peco?  Tanks and copper are looking well.  Do you plan to add more to the force?

@mage patience is a virtue and drying time is important.  I take that mantra too far and if a bottle of primer says allow 12 hours, I give it at least 24… also like to give superglue and plastic glue at least 24 hours before I would prime a model if not longer.

@limburger that is a very cool video.  Wargamers only “play” at terrain compared to train guys and diorama guys, though if I spent hours and hours on a piece of scenery like that I wouldn’t want anyone putting their grubby paws and space marines near it!!!

@blinky465 sounds a good day!  Saw a few things on the online coverage that will be getting my pennies soon enough.

As for me, back feels a bit better today.  The lack of gravity overnight has allowed me to actually stand up straight this morning, so going to do some modelling this morning.

Some Heavy Metal to get me going as well.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons – forgotten what a brilliant album that Alice Cooper one is! Truly creepy in places. My fave track used to be “wind up toy”

[checks Youtube]. Yep, I think it still is. But there are some monster tracks on that album. Great choice.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hey everyone!

Shazam was brilliant. The best movie of the DCEU by faaar nd close enoughbij quality to Spider-Man: Homecoming. GI SEE IT!

tine to drag myself outta bed, get some cereal and respond to posts.

then I have the unenviable task of binge watching Star Trek Deep Space Nine all day while I paint models. Pray for me…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)