Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 06/06/19 Now Heresy Free!*

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 06/06/19 Now Heresy Free!*

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 95 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mage 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

My pledge:

finish my five Hellblasters. I’m not gonna have time today. Maybe a little. My son is visiting today only. I’ll defo get them done tomorrow

then here is a Primaris Captain to continue. I’ll make a proper post this evening when I have a chance but have the gym and a doctors appointment later

Anonymous
    0xp

Got some more work on my giant mushroom done this morning.  Got the detail underneath and the stem done.  Still need to smooth out the top, attach to a piece of MDF and paint.  I also think I will fill the plant pot that I made the stem from to give it a bit more strength.  Probably just use Pollyfilla.

IMG_1570IMG_1572

IMG_1571

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

the shape isn’t quite that what would fit in Warrens phallic terrain thread XD but it looks cool

Anonymous
    0xp

This is a droopy one XD

9165805E-7223-424D-A767-133109A3BFDF

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s dah *wheehee* kender … 😀

Pledge ?

I’ve got to pick up a package tomorrow. It’s from a kickstarter, but I am not sure about which one yet.

Answers :

> 1. How much, if at all, do artworks influence your hobby?
    A very definite influence.
    It’s why I backed kickstarters for the Conan and Kult RPG’s, because in addition to the settings the art was inspiring.
    The design of the Gloomspite Grotz is what made me want to pick that faction in Age of Sigmar.
    I think it is why GW manages to sell so well, because their art shows their worlds.

It’s probably why I bought the 1st edition 40k rulebook when it was called ‘Rogue trader’ with the last stand of the Imperial fists on its cover.

> 2. What type of hobbyist are you? Collector? Painter? Gamer?
    I’d say I’m definitely a collector … probably better spelled as ‘The Collector’. 😉
    So many cool settings and interesting backgrounds to read.
    I do wish I could have enough space for an actual wargaming table as well as a space to paint & assemble.

> 3. What rule would you like to implement in a game, if you had the chance?

I’d add 3 rules :

• “Shut up and play” : automatically end your turn if you spent too much time thinking instead of moving your flockin’ gamepieces.
    • “You made your move … deal with it” : you only get x opportunities to undo any move during the entire game. The number will depend on the length of the game and how much you are annoying your opponent …
    • “no rules lawyering” … related to previous ones. Example would be measuring your move and then adjusting it so you are exactly out of range of your opponent.

They can probably be summarized as “Don’t be a d*ck to your opponents/GM/companions !”

@sundancer I wished more people were willing to treat the rulebooks as suggestions instead of some sort of holy book that can’t possibly be wrong. Although I’d argue that one should always play by the book first before modifying anything.
    IIRC the classic D&D book had the golden rule as one of the initial rules.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Although I’d argue that one should always play by the book first before modifying anything.

Agreed.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@elessar2590 I honestly had no idea they had done the Corsairs of Umbar in LotR… It has been so long since I played that game. Weirdly, it was the first tabletop game I ever played and my first armies, too…though I think most of them are lost to the mists of time, by now. 😛 <10 points> for reminding me of the old times. 😛

@horati0nosebl0wer 99.9% Heresy free…until Thomas showed up. 😛 Pin-up Tau? You really are a fan of heresy, aren’t you? 😛 I think I’ve become more of a collector, as well, though mainly through circumstance. I would like to play a few more games, and I’m not far from a fairly big gaming studio so once I get my minis painted…  I understand you upset with no booms, it’s one of the things I actually look forward to if, and when, I get into the field. I’m currently an Earth Sci student, so the prospect of mining booms intrigues me. Hopefully soon the dynamite will flow once more! <10 points> out of fear of Thomas, and <10 points> for the booms (I like explosions…).

@sundancer I’d probably be unable to pick just one piece and say ‘THAT’, so no worries. Sometimes our driving forces for armies aren’t as simple as a cool painting. My Bolt Action minis are like that, those were inspired by words in books, mainly. I have always been intrigued by SW Legion, but never played it. There’s a few games like that, but I never have the means or time. The age-old lament! Definitely agree with your answer to number 3, too many people seem to play games selfishly. They are meant to be enjoyed by all! <20 points> for a brilliant attitude to playing!

@elessar2590 I love Osprey books, I have several on my shelves and the art is always a draw. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that if you search google for WW2 uniforms you inevitably come upon Osprey artwork. My brothers are very big on fluff, but I actually tend to be a bit more simplistic in my approach, but weirdly only for fiction armies, I go hardcore on background for historicals and can spend WEEKS trying to find the right markings for the right unit in the right theatre…I’m a bit nuts like that. 40k does actually have a system like that that you can use. I think it’s called Open War and it randomly generates twists and such for your games. I’ve seen it played and it looks very fun, and sometimes a bit crazy, but aren’t those games the most fun? <10 points> for your fine taste in literature.

@robert I LOVE that painting of the Scots Greys at Waterloo, it’s incredible! I think we all sort of change as we grow older, I find myself taking much more time over things with my hobby now, maybe I’m more mature now? Maybe I’m more mellow? Maybe it’s Maybeliene? I haven’t seen a good game of Rugby in forever… Everything on this side of the pond is American Football and it’s AWFUL to watch… Alestorm are great, the just have fun with their music and I love that. <10 points> for excellent choice of art, <5 points> for Rugby, <1 point> because Magnus… 😛 , and <10 points> for cool music story!

@tuffyears I can’t wait to see them all finished, the last ones you showed were fantastic! <10 points> for antici………pation!

@mage I agree with @sundancer , you spelled it wrong. But, I do have a soft spot for that old box art, so I forgive you. I look forward to see the Hellblasters done, will you go for traditional blue on the plasma coils or some other funky colour? I use green on my Inquisitor and I’m going to use purple for my Escher. <10 points> for Old World fun, <10 points> for solidarity in trying to get Primaris painted.

@robert I love the mushrooms! Fantastic idea for terrain! <10 points>

@limburger Definitely agree with GW’s art; they have an amazing team that puts all that together! I hear you on the space issue; I’d love to have a dedicated hobby room, but alas that is not to be. The old ‘Don’t Be a Dick’ rule…too many folks don’t know it. I found when I was reading some of the latest GW FAQ’s that people just seem to want to do it all the time, so many of those come down to me thinking ‘well why would you have been that much of a REDACTED, anyway?’ It gets a little annoying, to say the least. <10 points> for some great answers, and <10 points> for goodies in the post, parcels are always fun…bills not so much. 😛

As for me, I’ve been out and about for most of today, but I hope to finish the black base coats on my Marines…I am starting to understand why my brother used to have all his guns with metal casings… 😛

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat I’d argue that GW attracts a lot of those folkes, because it is a popular tournament wargame … and tournaments can bring out the absolute worst in people.
    Some people get so competitive they go mean.
    I know I’d potentially do that too, so I try to avoid anything competitive if possible.

I’ve seen it happen in on-line videogames, so I’m not surprised tabletop tournaments can suffer from this toxic attitude as well.
    I know it probably makes me feel like an old grandpa, but back in my day we didn’t have so many toxic gamers on-line.

It’s the one thing I loved about both BoW bootcamps I’ve been to as well, which I enjoyed despite never really winning any game.
    Everyone there is there to learn a new game and have fun. (period)

Anonymous
    0xp

Got some Wargames Atlantic Skeletons built up.  Great kit for skirmish games and dungeon crawlers.  Easy to put together, minimal mould lines.  Nice detail.  32 minis for £25.  I don’t like one of the bodies as you have to stick legs on it as it is a bit of a pain.    Not great for mass wargaming, as there are only 8 bows and the other weapons are limited.  Perfect for Saga, though!

IMG_1576

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@limburger I agree. people just get mean too fast these days. I would rather lose 10 games I had an absolute blast playing than win one game my opponent hated. I’m the same with competitive, but not because I would get competitive but because I would get so demoralised that my very fun army kept getting slaughtered before it fired a shot. I really wish I had a chance to go to a Boot Camp, but it’s not practical. Were I still living back home in sunny* old England, then maybe.

@robert Nice Skelly-bums! Shame they’re not as useful for massed games, because they might give a nice aesthetic to some Legions of Nagash armies in AoS… <10 points> for work, and because I haven’t seen a 2p coin in so long… 😛

* Citation needed on ‘sunny’…lots of citation… 😛

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

The casings on those damn bolt rifles are done! Highlighting will be a simple drybrush, so that’ll be simple. At least black can be more forgiving; I would have never painted them in the old bright red the bolter casings USED to be!

20190607_214046[1]

Soon they shall be done!

More music for all!

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat yeah, having to optimize your army just to have a chance at competing and then not getting anywhere would not be fun. (to put it mildly)

//

Contrast paints are up for sale at my local FLGS. They’re 5,40 Euro each or 180 Euro for the entire set (34 colours).
    I think I’ll limit myself to the colours I need.
    It looks like GW have re-newed their entire range, because the webshop has added airbrush, base, technical and layer paints as well.

Anonymous
    0xp

Well my sister dropped off the stuff. Not sure why I agreed to this ?

0569CCAF-342D-4276-B50B-6279C0CC602C

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

Mystery solved … it’s my copy of the Skull&Tales kickstarter.

So *arrh* me mateys !

@robert ooh Kazon spaceship … and is that the Enterprise ?

Anonymous
    0xp

IMG_1581IMG_1580IMG_1582

@limburger there are better pictures of the box.  I’m actually scared to look inside to see what shape they are in!  The bottom picture is my reward.  Ninjas and Dwarfs.  Plus 4 old Citadel paint brushes, and an old cigar tin which just has a few bits in it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)