Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 10/05/19 A bit of gaming philosophy this time

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 10/05/19 A bit of gaming philosophy this time

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 136 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mage 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Some do, some dont.

@mage The job is just a thing to earn me money to put a roof over my head, keep my furry overlord cat happily fed and minis on hand. As far as lying there isn’t anything of the sort going on. Word magic is just using buzzwords that management whips their attention to. Corporate types love their buzzwords. In the thought of cats and verbal carnage I provide Business Cat!

@robert Doing something with your hands other than the minis can be a good thing. For me I turn to display base building. It serves the figure related stuff to make them look better than plain bases for my end goal which isn’t generally playing.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Hmm. Obviously the Batman and backwards didn’t.

Suicide Squad does, Justice League does, Aquaman does. I’ve not seen Shazam (although despite waiting for dvd I can’t wait to see).

They’ve been catching up to a rolling juggernaut so to get this close is impressive.

Ahem, back to figures. How’s the scenery coming along?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I think Suicide Squad and Justice League have mid credits while Aquaman and Shazam do. Shazam was brilliant. It is impressive to be fair despite the few misfires.

I finished the pipes scenery i was working on even though the light in those last photos makes it a bad photo.

@horati0nosebl0wer

Ah, buzz words like ‘inovented’ to reassure frightened idiots who are in over their heads running companies. To appear as a go getter without ruffling feathers as rich people are afraid of change eh?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage Too dark or too good is definitely bad, but then these are superheroes. A bit black&white morality isn’t exactly weird in this genre

And it wasn’t Lois … the movie did a really terrible job at explaining anything.
    The one thing that annoyed me the most was the distance (or rather lack thereof) between Batman’s city and Superman’s.
    It was as if they were across the river from each other, which is kind of odd because I figured one was somewhere in Kansas.

Batman’s drinking is another. It is so flippin’ subtle you could miss it. And that’s with everything to his character arc within this movie. At least with Superman we have his entire previous movie.

And then there’s the stuff that may have been explained in comics. I don’t know anything about the comics in which either of these characters were used or why the heck any of them live in the same world/universe. Marvel’s movies managed to make the link better and less odd with the help of the post-credit scenes and subtle stuff like Stark’s father (? ) in Capt. America.

Here’s a question that the movie didn’t answer : what was Wonder Woman doing there anyway ?
    It probably depends on plot points from her own movie (assuming it was released before BvS ?)

Oh … and can we talk about the WW costume or how she isn’t introduced (I think?) so it relies on previous movie to set her up?
    Her costume is fine for pulp era or classic golden era superhero variants.
    That really did not fit in this dark gritty setting.  You’d think she would have chosen something a little more practical than a skirt, a shield, bracelets (?) and those leg guards.

Executive meddling kills everything. It sucks when the suits are too greedy/lacking in confidence/risk-averse that they feel the need to ‘fix’ stuff that doesn’t need fixing and change stuff that needs fixing by breaking it.

Capt. Marvel also shows evidence of this … and the less said about Suicide Squad the better, although that was a trainwreck before they tried to fix it.

I hadn’t thought about how the previous Batman series devolved, but it definitely makes sense.
    Maybe Marvel learned from that mistake and tried to make it more coherent ?
    Or maybe they didn’t have to do much, because the source material had done the work already ?

Are DC’s equivalents to Marvel always copy-cats ?
    Or is Marvel simply better at creating their material ?

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Thanos is a copy of Darkseid. I’m a fan of both though. Also, I really like the Suicide Squad film. No idea why it gets the criticism it does.

The Wonder Woman costume is just what Amazons wear. Pretty sure no explanation is required.

My worst thing in superhero movies is something being changed from a villain to a metaphor. Thinking of Galactus in the old Fantastic 4 and Parralax in Green Lantern. Always makes the film worse.

@mage Too many people who think they’re important and fight to prove it

@woldenspoons Metaphors! Meta is for what?! Metanarrative to involve the viewer in a dialogue and analyze obscure facets of things not a part of regular life are being used? Genius!!! That’ll make a ton of money from big brain people who come out to soda and popcorn visual fare. Bah! The only really deep films like that I caught which I can recall offhand are I Heart Huckabees, The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology and Mystery of the Organism (yeah, kinda obscure range).Brain breaking stuff if you just want to sit and massage your brain with light and sounds that are coherent utilizing tropes which can be translated through your cultural exposure. Yeah, brainy stuff can be good but I’ll sit down to Heavy Metal if given the chance. Just don’t threaten me with the Farce and the Flatulent series so my brain doesn’t turn off completely and I become a drooling vegetable.

@limburger Thinking about the tropes of superhero films, what do you think about turning the Superman legend on its head with the creation of Brightburn?

On a separate note, in celebrating my new found freedom, I hit up a gaming shop to snag a copy of Jaga Jaga, Death Charmer and a Gatorman Soul Slave. I’m on good terms with the shop owner and I wanted to help his business stay around since it really fits a niche since the last good brick and mortar went belly up long ago. After that I picked up some Greenstuff World brush repair gel and some other oddments for building bases. I have tested the repair gel and it works very well to restore points. Its a little odd in that it has a slight sweet smell and possibly alcohol notes but it dries points when bristles are shaped to do so. If you’ve had those flyaway hairs on brushes from when you accidentally put a cover over it and misshape the brush this does help. I tried it on some older brushes that I figured were probably ready to be chucked and, after trying this stuff, I’ll be keeping them. I also hit up my mop brush (a size 10 monstrosity for large coverage) and managed some shaping that I was surprised could be achievable.

I’ll be on the lookout for other products to play with as getting more in depth on hobbying seems possible despite previous notions of what was possible. This might also be helped by picking up the first issue of the publication Damaged from AK that highlights weathering on models/figures.

As an addendum I will say that victory Korean bbq was awesome as a further treat to myself. I was pleased to find that they had a beer on draught of last year’s experimental from a local brewer that I absolutely loved. I am sad though that this year’s experimental from the same brewer isn’t nearly as good. To life!

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp
    • @horati0nosebl0wer I’m a regular destroyer of brushes. I need to find me some of this brush repair magic. Was it expensive?

Anonymous
    0xp

Ordinary soap is pretty good at getting old brushes clean and into better condition.  The more plain and old school the soap the better.  I’d give this stuff a go though.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert that is why I use gall soap for cleaning and “fixing” tips.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I had to google ‘brightburn’ and then I remembered seeing the trailer.
    I’m no fan of horror movies as they rarely have a satisfying ending (’cause sequels are needed …), but the concept itself is definitely interesting.

trailer :

I hope there’s a happy ending.

Keanu Reeves (John Wick)

Halle Berry (John Wick 3)

I haven’t seen the sequel to John Wick, but the first had very interesting gun fights that managed to make more sense than most in this type of movie.

@woldenspoons The repair stuff wasn’t painful for cost. The price was a bit higher for me because I’m in the US and it was at a store but the link I added shows it to be just about €4. I’ve been inspired to just purchase lower cost taklon/nylon brushes for basecoating and then switch to the higher end stuff for detailing. I had a DVD from Darksword Miniatures that showed Marike Reimer working beautifully and how she just blends using cheap material and the work of Sam Lenz is regularly shown on YouTube through Tabletop Minions in the same fashion. Breaking cheap brushes isn’t bad as long as they can get an extended life as stipling/pigment brushes. The Kolinsky sables require a bit more love.

@robert I’ve used Master’s brush soap for the longest time and in the size I link to it will be good for some time depending on how often you paint/clean the brushes. I’ve also seen Jentastic Drunken Brush Goop which I’m curious about but wonder about the size of the tin and its effectiveness. I’ll pick some up and give a report after I settle into the new place.

Here’s a really good video from Slow Fuse that takes on the JDBG and talks quite a bit more in detail than I care to write about.

@limburger A happy ending to horror films? That is a relative term indeed. I’d say that you’d need to watch Feast and Krampus (my favorite Giftmas movie) to evaluate how that might be defined.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hello! Had a lazy day chilling before sleeping before my night shift. I did manage to finish five Primaris marines but I did not have time to snap pictures. They look good though.

I had two packages arrive in the mail. One was from Games Workshop and one from Forge World. My Chaos Space Marine Codex, bases and pots of Martian Ironcrust arrived, as well as some Minotaur Space Marine Shoulder pads. The latter were added to my Primaris Chaplain and Primaris Apothecary earlier today and they have been primed.

I might start the Inceptors tomorrow. They just need the gold and red done, and maybe a red touch up. I have a week off starting tomorrow, too! Then D&D, I mean RPG night tomorrow evening. We are playing Coriolis.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@limburger

Indeed, black and white morality isn’t weird in the genre and suits it better. I guess with all the powers, villains and settings it is needed for realism and balance.

The distance thing is a moot point even though it is a point you make: Gotham and Metropolis have been portrayed as being beside each other a bunch of times in the comics in the past.

The drinking thing is super subtle but it’s a nice detail, in my humble opinion. From a thematic point of view, subtlety suits the Dark Knight. I do get what you mean though.

Marvel did a good job executing a cohesive universe, and it was never done before. With that foundation, and the shared universe they have made bucketloads of money and provided great entertainment to a widespread audience.

Wonder Woman was explained in the movie. Lex had something belonging to her; the photo from World War 1. She wouldn’t exactly want proof floating around she was an immortal demigoddess.

It kind of works as a light Roman/Amazon era style piece of light armour. I liked it. Still, movies and entertainment are all subject to individual taste. Then again if she has toughness beyond a mortal than she probably needs lighter more mobile armour.

Executive meddling is the devil, all egos and arrogance leading to the problems you list.

Captain Marvel wasn’t the strongest of marvel movies and Suicide Squad (I loved the comic and the movie should have been on par with Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1) sucked.

Yeah, Michael Keaton instinctively bailing when he heard how things would progress was a grim sign.

I’d like to think Marvel did their research and looked at what came before and decided when they made Iron Man (before Disney bought them) that they wanted to make a focussed, trye, accurate and artistically true. Possibly as a reaction to some of the worse movies like Daredevil and Punisher that came out in the early 2000s.

I think it is 50/50 with copycats because there has been back and forth over the years. Thanos is actually a rip off of Darkseid. DC has good material, its just the majority of people like yourself only have the movies to go by and haven’t read the comics.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons : I get that it is what her people wear, but it didn’t fit the grim dark setting.

Superman isn’t wearing his spandex with underwear. His uniform looks realistic and alien.
    Batman himself looks like he is armoured instead of in his undies like the cartoon version.
    As such I was expecting WW to have adopted a more modern style. I get that she lacks the funds that Bruce has, but surely she could have picked up a few things from her adventures in WW1 ? (That is if that is the date her photo was taken)

@horati0nosebl0wer I know it is relative, but I dislike the ones in which the evil survives just so they can do a dark ending with sequel potential. That is so boring it feels lazy.

I haven’t seen those movies, but I did see a weird as heck Finnish horror Christmas movie called ‘Rare Exports’

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)