Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 10/08/18

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 10/08/18

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 173 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • Author

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu Yeah i’m loving the Mini’s. As @mage has mentioned on previous threads, you can get the occasional bad cast from the older models (I had my first this morning with the Gotham Policewoman) but the resins are spectacular and the later metals are above par. I’ve taken a page out of the way comic book artists ink. Try and stick to base four colours as far as I can and just highlight them. Even looking at buying Mini’s from the DC universe game just to paint. Which is a first for me, you know my opinion on the painting side of the hobby.

Chair sorted now, wife’s bought me a new one. Nope I use a fixed chair for painting, I tend to fidget on swivel chairs. I do however chase Matty around the room on it 😀

The Chapel looks amazing mate. You definately need to print an Altar of some sort. That picture conjurs the Image of the sole surviving Space Marine, having fought his way through hundreds of Chaos Cultists, entering the Chapel, slowly appproaching the Altar and finding …… Well, it wasn’t fluffy kittens. 😀

@woldenspoons Arrrgh what ya doin to me. I was just reading that eerie bit about it not being the wind on the back of your neck, when the fan I have in my room swivelled and blew wind on the back of my neck…

Great start to the AoS miniatures. Really looking forward to see how they progress.

@a27cromwell Aha we are from the same era, i’m 54. Everything you wrote about Pop Culture is pretty much how I feel about it (some great bands and movies mentioned too). My daughter watches these celebrity reality shows and I just stare blankly at her while she tries to explain what this person is famous for amd how it makes them a celebrity. I mean five followers on YouTube does not a celebrity make.

Some nice kits there sir.

Right had another good day painting, so started and finished Batman… although did do a bit of tidying up after seeing the picture….

DSC_0219

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@biggabum Hot Damn that Batman goes KPOW! Awesome job.

I really fight to avoid the DC game as people near me don’t play it but you are making it harder and harder to ignore especially for Green Lantern and Sinistro. Is the suicide squad starter box still useful or outdated now?

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yes i have issues painting faces. But im happy how this objective marker is coming on

20180810_153330

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

(1) Take advantage from it! MONEY! 😉

(2) Nothing… wife is sick and so we stick to tried and tested.

(3) Yes. Love ’em… just look at all the red hering in Thimbleweed Park…. sooo good that game.

and the flying V guitar reminds me of…. better days ,)

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage I’ve had a ponder and it got quite deep. So I wake up one morning froom my normality and find out that i’m different to nearly everyboody else. This got me thinking about my own situation, well not so much mine but my wife’s.

Soooo , without wanting to go too deep and depressing, I think that if we woke up one morning noticeably different to our peers, we would probably draw the Disabled label (which if the education levels towards the disabled remained on todays standards , would already put us on the wrong footing) and if we tried to make the timeline situation known, we would probably end up in what passes for Arkham Asylum in our alternative reality.

Saying that though we could play it clever and do a Stephen Hawking, give people pause for thought by presenting our situation as a theory, rather than trying to convince people of a fact. Now the great thing about theories is that science has this obsession with proving or disproving them. So you end up with a number of superbarains doing your work for you (see, even in this alternate reality i’m still lazy 😀 ). Then it’s just a question of waiting for one of those superbrains to come forward and say that your theory is plausible, then make contact and try to convince them it’s not only plausible but has actually happened, and then work with them to find a solution.

*** During this thought process, I did wander off in a few different tangents, one being the posibility of time travel. If the ability to time travel is possible, and discovered in the future (could UFO’s be time travellers rather than Alien in origin), our timeline may have altready been altered a number of times and as @torros has said we just wouldn’t know.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundance i loved thimbleweed park its a great new retro game

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons Thanks.

I dont think the Suicide Squad starter box is still in production, at least thats the impression I get from my attempts to get hold of one. However there is a Bane VS Batman Starter and a Joker Vs a team made up from Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Catwoman starter. Apart from the mini’s these contain a couple of card buildings, dice, rulebook and a few other bits and bobs. Although if you can get hold of the Suicide Squad Starter, its definately a good kick off point.

@tuffyears the faces are fine mate, quite good in fact, methinks you are being way too harsh on yourself . Seriously good work.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Objectives wounded and lost

oriskany
    60735xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good afternoon, all ~

Okay, it’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread for real, let me see if I can remember how this works …

Q/A time

(1) Timeline changed: Honestly, if I realized the timeline had changed and only I noticed it, or myself and certain others noticed it … I dunno. What could you do at that point? I’m assuming we didn’t change it, so we couldn’t change it back. I would definitely keep quiet so I don’t end up in an insane asylum …

No! This is wrong! Hitler LOST that war! Damn you! Wait, what’s that straightjacket for? Why the syringe of thioridazine?! No!

(2) Name something new you tried this week in regards food: I’m actually on a very strict no-carb diet, so my choices are very limited.

(3) Do you like pop culture references in your gaming? Give one good and bad example of such things.

Not 100% sure I understand the question. Do you mean pop culture references written into the game rules / fluff?  Or pop culture references at the table?

So I design and playtest most of my own games, specifically tailored for what our group likes and doesn’t like.

Still, I remember in the old White Wolf RPG books, they would often have quotes for chapter headers, section headers, etc. These would range from Bible passages to Shakespeare, Milton to old X-Files Episodes. For these newer references, I guess they would count as pop culture, and they were always well done.

Pop culture references at the table, we had a great one just last week, during our Darkstar live blog game.

When my Russian heavy cruiser did its “suicide dive” to rake a broadside across the sterns of both Prussian light cruisers, KNOWING it was going to die at the same time as its stern was crossed in turn by a freakin’ POCKET BATTLESHIP, I yelled out “WITNESS ME!” Got a great laugh, @aras even mentioned he wondered if my Russian captain was spraying silver spray paint into his teeth. SHINY AND CHROME, SHINY AND CHROME! 😀

Sometimes it goes too far, though. I’ve had people make South Park and Simpson’s references (two shows I REALLY don’t like) at the gaming table over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (it’s not funny) and over and over and over (it was never funny) and over and over (it’s not that we don’t get it) and over and over and over and over (it’s that it’s a dumb joke that wasn’t funny the first time …) and over and over …

If that’s what we mean by pop culture references in gaming. 😀

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  oriskany.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Forgot to post This week guards themed song

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Textured bases or red for the inner base of the objective markers

20180810_175544

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@biggabum if you are UK based then I know where you can get one. And it stops me buying it. Easy.

@tuffyears probably better all red so you don’t accidentally move them and forget to add them back.

My game tomorrow is at lunch time and I am playing my stormcast for the first time. Very much looking forward to it especially The Celestant Prime’s hotly anticipated dramatic entrance. I’ll post an army list and team photo tomorrow.

What’s everyone else up to this weekend? Do we think BIGBOSSMAN (@warzan) will be back for the Weekender? Taking holidays and forcing his minions to cover foreign events. Shame on him. ?

oriskany
    60735xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage – awesome ogres – what’s up with the blue cl;ubs?  Some kind of ice / magic weapon?

And I love the battle report – an ambush tripped up by Captain Hawthorne off havin’ his mornin’ shite!  😀  I’m choosing to NOT picture him running bare-assed back to the camp, shouting his warning, pants still around his ankles …

Great table, @evilstu , and guardsmen and kill team.

@biggabum – know what you mean re: pop culture references.  Usually NOT funny, only because they’re over done.  When you do score a “hit” it’s usually a small smile or recognition – “oh yeah, I know that thing.”  And even if it’s a “big splash,” the joke (or material, if you’re publishing) has a very short shelf life because pop culture changes / goes out of date so quickly.

And holy crap, that Batman is JACKED!  My must do like 3000 crunches a day!  😀 😀

Holy shit, @woldenspoons – what up with that winged guy?  Doe she actually fly with those, or are they for some kid of magical effect?  Is the miniature terribly fragile?  Looks amazing, that’s for sure.

@a27cromwell – king tigers and panthers … ’nuff said.  😀  They’re gonna look great completed!

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@tuffyears yep the red methinks, although they both look ok, I think the red makes it stand out more as an objective.

@woldenspoons I am in the UK mate, in sunny (or not) Shropshire.

As for the weekend, it’s pretty much the same as a weekday for me (I’m a carer for three Alternative Needs family members) although my daughter and grandkids come down and give me a bit of a break. So during my extra free time I’ll finish off my Batman Crew and avoid the little jobs the wife thinks I should be doing. 😀

As for the Batman crew ive finished Batgirl (metal version… no more snapping ankles for me)

DSC_0222

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

hey ho … let’s go!

Funny thing is I first heard this song in ‘Space above & Beyond’ …

great series. It’s a shame it got cancelled. OTOH … it was getting a bit too much conspiracy like.
    Definitely had interesting themes.

(1) What would you do if you woke up in the morning and found out that the timeline had changed, and only certain other people, if any, had noticed it? What could you do?
    ssst … it’s happened already.

Don’t you know ?

They live!

Something tells me that @mage has recently seen this documentary *eh* movie.

(2) Name something new you tried this week in regards food, takeout, cakes, deserts or a new dish you attempted to cook.
    I wouldn’t call it ‘new’, but I did eat something called “huzarensalade”. It’s sold at the supermarket as a finished product (which is what I got), but you can make your own.

It’s a cold dish made of potatoes and meat and lots of mayonaise … definitely the kind of thing to eat when it is hot.
    The name is a possible reference to the Hungarian hussars who couldn’t use fire to cook their meals (because the enemy might spot them) so they had to rely on cold instead.

The version they sell in shops looks like this :

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huzarensalade#/media/File:Huzarenslaatje.jpg

Google got me a recipe in English so you can try it :

http://www.thedutchtable.com/2012/08/huzarensalade.html
    It’s a pretty standard cold dish that is often served at weddings and BBQ’s, because it is easy to make in large quantities.

It’s not exactly ‘light’ or ‘diet’ … like all good things 😉

(3) Do you like pop culture references in your gaming? Be it computer games, board games, wargames or RPGs? If so, why, and if not, why? Also, give one good and bad example of such things.
    It kind of depends on how it is done.

Shows like Buck Rogers, Futurama and Farscape had some nice references, but they kind of run into the problem that the main character can’t keep up to date with more modern memes.

Part of the problem is that it can sound ancient if they’ve picked something that didn’t last or is so ancient people don’t remember it. Try watching Buck Rogers without giggling at him doing ‘the bump’ or whatever that dance was called.
    It probably was a lot cooler when that show was first broadcast …

@oriskany : Southpark has its good and bad moments, but I agree that it (and any pop culture reference) can get annoying if you don’t care for the series and someone is repeating it endlessly.

I’m going to unpack my 1:48tactic starter sets. 🙂
    Plus continue my work on my name generator code. It needs some tweaking as the results with a minimal input are a bit too nonsensical to be useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)