Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 12/15/2018 – An early Giftmas to regular hosts

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 12/15/2018 – An early Giftmas to regular hosts

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 50 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  evilstu 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu it was fantastic. A real popcorn crowd-pleaser of a film, and incredibly vibrant use of colour. I reckon anyone playing Idonath in AOS or who plays Shadowseas will find it incredibly inspirational viewing for painting & modelling ideas….

@rayzryr always nice to know my PoV has validation 🙂 and yeah, I ordered these from Hobbylink Japan. Tossed in some Transformers to make the shipping worth it, and the economy shipping got them here last week. Did have to pay the import duty but that still worked out 😀

jodain
    12433xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I did managed a little bit of hobby, whilst manning the scanner, and assembled Han Solo for my Legion army.  Waiting for Chewie and his Wookie mates next.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@jodain Do you find your opponents let you win when you field the Wookies?

Hobby wise this weekend I’ve assembled 3 Primaris Aggressors and a Biologus Putrifier for my Deathguard. I’m also considering applying to become a Mantic Pathfinder.

I’ll get to questions soon.

oriskany
    60736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good job, @horati0nosebl0wer – giving the regular hosts  a little Christmas break!  😀

jodain
    12433xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons I have been known to rip arms off if I don’t win… 😀

Evilstu 40 pistoozas in very well played move with the overall pics, answers, pledge, hobby conversionWIP. I see you’ve played this game a few times to get beyond the Konami code.

Is the greenstuff chainmail work you’re doing being done using those rollers from Greenstuffworld? I’ve wondered if it would be worth it to invest in some of them if I were to start modding/painting larger units for other people. Do you remember the thickness of the plasticard you used on the cloak for your general?

@mage … 30 pistoozas for the 1,2,3 combo of answers, pledging and adding some insight into exactly what we’re all doing here.

Now about those undead modems from Mordheim… I really missed the follow on stuff after Town Crier it seems.

Ugh.. Menoth. All of it looks like cowls on the top of the mechs and the color scheme just doesn’t do anything of interest for me. What’s worse is Convergence. There is nothing of note to them to make them visually appealing to me. I’m tempted to offer anybody who plays them paint work to avoid the standard grey metal masses. I never got a feel for them otherwise because of the total lack of organic texture which I’d say is the opposite to Skorne. Sure clean line mechanical work is fancy as its supposed to be but like Art Deco style it just feels off.

@rayzryr 30 pistoozas awarded for hitting the correct buttons of pledging, answering questions and once for the over the top genuflection to the host.

Lol… Irregular I may of mind but not of bowel. “Get that man a martini and a fez” or something like that from Blazing Saddles. Yes, the after market not-Chaos is very chaotic and does demand attention to detail. The overload I think is something that might be well suited to the lore but it does make things too busy to actually enjoy any one thing.

@dawfydd Hobbylink Japan is why I don’t spend my money on resin prepainted figures. I see the prices, evaluate if I want to eat and then continue on with being driven poor by my mini collection. It is much sadness that I see so much goodness and be afraid to have it see the light of day lest the colors fade.

@woldenspoons I think jodain first needs to assemble the wookies before the winning commences. I’ll just sit here and wonder if, in all the wrongness of the thought, ewoks will be brought in with their indomitable tree trunk technology. In the meantime go ahead and shows those pics… because as you know if there’s no pics it didn’t happen. Outside of that I look forward to the answers.

@oriskany I thought the season was right for it. Since you’re here go ahead and toss in your two cents to add to the fray.

@jodain oh dear… I think you should let the wookie win

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Just a quick post as I am quite the busy dude over the next while

Welcome to @jodain please feel free to immerse yourself. Also, posting that you intend on painting something is a pledge 🙂 Just post pictures when you can, its always nice to have a new member in the thread and to see their own artistic flair.

@horati0nosebl0wer Well the thing is Menoth were my first love with Warmachine and its only the direction from the last two years with convoluted, over designed miniatures I dislike.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning everyone. it’s monday. in it’s worst meaning.

• A clients external office went “dark” (aka everything is offline)
    • A Laptop acted weirdly with outlook making it unuseable
    • Coffee is cold

But, maybe because it’s Christmas, the external office only needed to reboot the major switch, the laptop somehow fixed itself and I have a fresh cup of STFU-coffee 😉

We went to see The Crimes Of Grindlewald yesterday and it’s nice popcorn cinema.

So, how is your day? For a happy week!

@mage I can’t say that the faction is particularly keen in the mech department. The regular human type troops look keen by me. Some of them actually remind me of the sculpts from the Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar with the Augers (I think I might have one somewhere). More often than not the warjacks were the things that caught my attention straight away for the game.

@sundancer It’s 1:40 my time and I’ve just finished watching the XLBS after work. I’m going off to bathe and sleep after my earlier “welcome home”  beer.

I’m starting my weekend and looking forward to an absolutely SNAFU work schedule for the holidays. I’m glad to host for this week but it will definitely be something of a miracle if I were to try it for the week after.

Night all

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hey Team, just checking in quickly – busy day and I’m keen for bed right now…

@mage hope things ease up for you soon 🙂

@rayzryr welcome back :)Hope you are not getting subjected to christmas carols on a repeating 2 hour looped tape while retailing… that’s just cruel when it happens… Cheers – chainmail was done with a stamp-like thingy (I know all th words…) from Green Stuff World – let me test my google-fu…

Ah there we go:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/169-chainmail

No idea what size it was, I can check the packaging later if you are interested.

@dawfydd good to hear – I have had high hopes of a DC comeback. the films to date have been good enough I just think we are now maybe expecting something extra from the superhero genre? I know what you mean about colour, that was my main take-away from the trailer.

@jodain more Legion is always good. Keen to see that game continuing to expand. Any photos of your work you are comfortable sharing?

@woldenspoons you’ve made made me giggle 2 weeks in a row now 🙂

@oriskany hey hope December is treating you well and you aren’t rushed off your feet with everything.

@horati0nosebl0wer yep its one of the GSW ones linked above. it’s more of a push-stamp than a roller, it has some flexibility but not enough to get into all the areas I needed it to (should have applied to a patch on a cutting board and then transferred to the model on reflection). Their rollers are really good for bases too though, think I have some pics of minis using one of their rollers somewhere…

IMG_1188aIMG_1222a

Ok shots aren’t great but you get the idea… cloak was a pre-made moulded piece from the ‘white wolf’ sprue that accompanied Empire knights in the 6th and 7th ed boxes, so I used that as a starting point and will add on a few extra layers over the next week or so to bulk it up a little. Hope your work schedule turns out to be a little more manageable than it sounds. And no stress I’ll host for the next 2 weeks – but I’m promising to do a really lazy job of it 🙂

@sundancer my coffee keeps ending up being cold too… Not sure what’s going on with that – it’s always hot when I buy it… I suspect gremlins. Hope you got your client sorted out.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Got no more coffee today. The technician who was there to fix a minor issue had the wrong spare part and ended up undoing everything he did… 5 hours work.

I’m home now, starting to feeling like I’m getting the flu and will be off to bed early today I think.

Did a micro bit of hobby: bought a third cardbox for the X-Wing V2 cards…. Those take up spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hey guys! I’m gonna be radio silent for about 24 hours. Here is my complete Boba Fett and Goblin town. I gotta varnish the underside of goblin town though

Also pictured is my Kris Kringle from half an blue ago at work 🙂

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

I managed to get all my Impetus Roman’s painted minus the actual legionaries. Plus another 30ish Auxiliaries who need a highlight.

DSC00447-minDSC00448-minDSC00449-minDSC00450-minDSC00451-minDSC00452-minDSC00453-minDSC00454-minDSC00455-minDSC00456-minDSC00457-min

Ahem… looking over the thread so far things are shaping up rather nicely for chatting. Hmm…

@woldenspoons … it looks like you’re lagging behind in your questions. I can’t allow anyone else to assist you with those as this is an open book examination. Just to remind you the clock is ticking and we shan’t accept any late submissions

@mage 20 pistoozas for the tempting treat pictures and being kind enough to open up with the RPG Scrabble to spell out interesting character traits for us. The interlocking wooden terrain is very well done and shall receive another 10 pistoozas and another 10 for Boba Fett. Completion is a good thing to show off to everybody here. Hopefully you will be able to return to us well rested and able to better enjoy the time off.

@elessar2590 10 pistoozas for the photos of a good force shaping up. I’ll forego the ‘Life of Brian’ quoting as its been done not all that long ago and I’m still giggling to myself regarding “centuwions”. A photo spread like the Takeda’s Army project would be a great final act to the show you’ve put together.

I got in my Minicrate monthly figure and it was Butcher Klaus. Apparently The Butcher of Khardov can become rather festive. I’ve decided he gets a resin plinth for display as I don’t do WarmaHordes. I also turned to doing some work on the original metal Lilith from Malifaux basing her on a a resin display puck and sprucing it up. I still have some sculpting work to do on the vines that are going to pop out of it but I’ll get to that a little later. I’ve primed both and they’ve been curing. Outside of that I’ve been laughing my butt off with a manga series centering around an elf that comes to this world and becomes overweight due to her addiction to french fries.

20181218_004050[1]

Rather a jolly fellow for carrying skulls on his crosier and in his sack

20181218_004200[1]

She’s actually twirling hair over her fingers and not gesturing rudely

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer hope it’s not the flu… but to be honest it’s the no coffee that has me panicked 😛 Seriously though hope you are feeling better after some good rest.

@mage fantastic work! And that comic was great too.

@elessar2590 great work! They really do look fantastic.

@horati0nosebl0wer nah she just wants you to think she’s twirling her hair at people 😉

I need to start paying more attention when I wander up to the man-cave. our resident blue tongue lizard has taken to sunning right where I usually walk and point blank refuses to move. Concerned I might tread on the little guy (well ok he’s about 40cm long so maybe not quite that little).

20181215_090401a

My hobby is going to be gift wrapping for the next few evenings. Suddenly I really want to paint…

Also got a prize in the post. Some gorgeous minis from Flags of War for their 1746 Jacobite Rebellion kickstarter. Absolutely beautiful minis, and great resolution on the printed banners. Only got a couple of units, but enough to field a couple of groups of clansmen and a couple of Ecossairs for Sharp Practice. So about a 30 point force off the bat – more if I upgrade the leaders (there were a bunch of character minis included).  Really keen for the second KS for the Duke of Cumberland’s troops now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)