Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 16/11/2018 – Back before you can miss it!

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 16/11/2018 – Back before you can miss it!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 103 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@sundancer Its all about the kids right?

Wait I could choose steak and kidney like @dawfydd ?!?!?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo I take it baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. As for transformers, I want some. I got some a few years back and since then it has improved again. Combiner wars and such. Looking great! Space Wolves? Cant wait to see more.

@querion You like your female leads singers. I best check them out. Off to the gym soon… For me it’s a fourty minute drive but I feel you on travelling for good Japanese food. You list awesome toys from back in my childhood too, but some of those transformers were behind the times insofar that it was too hard for some kids to transform them without breaking bits (like myself). I still have a few from way back when. Blur, Kup, Optimus.

@limburger If I can guess what you mean by beeps do I win a prize? Three kickstarter? Ye gods man your like a drug addict for kickstarter! Down boy! unsheathes newspaper

@evilstu Black Friday you say? Any chance of posting some links. Has anyone done a Black Friday thread? When is Black Friday?

@horati0nosebl0wer Mmmmm Korean food to the door.

@woldenspoons To the front door with roasts? That might be good. It would want to be one with moist meat, excellent gravy, and enough yorkshire puddings to make the pope envious! Also kudos to last years Christmas Mortarion and Ultramarines reference.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage : I’ve been trying to do less kickstarters, but with OTT/BoW often posting news about them (like *cough* Reichsbusters) and with some of the kickstarters posting about new ones (Batman 2 & Ragnarok already confirmed next year, Conan 2 delayed due to licensing) it is hard.

Although I must admit that since setting myself the goal of actually buying a new house once I get a fixed contract (sp?) it’s been easier to not jump in so easily. Plus the lack of storage space is helping a bit 😉

No points for guessing the beeps. But when you’ve got hardcore football fans rallying to support a kid-friendly arrival of good ol’ Saint Nicolas then you know there’s trouble brewing.

Can you imagine Santa Clause like this :

modern_saint_nicolas

modern_saint_nicolas2

modern_saint_nicolas3

*grmbl* back to hobby because that’s more fun than watching the supposed grown ups fight over a flocking children’s festivity.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Well well well, Weekend once again.

Its Saturday night, the youngster sleeps, time to join in.

My pledge for the week will be: first ever game of Kill Team (in this new edition) this Sunday night with LP (a good friend, we used to work together, he took me in during a rough patch ?). During the week I’ll work on my Elf project. Get these Dark Elves finished, a few more High Elves. Hopefully start on the Wood Elves.

Seasonal Shopping

Oh yes, I still bother. Nowadays presents are mostly for my daughter. Between my siblings and I, my daughter is the only offspring. For older family members, it’s usually food or drink we can share at family lunch. That’s the main thing we have always done: big family lunch.

Oh no, I have not started shopping. I usually like to dedicate a day or two to this kind of shopping. I usually avoid shops as much as possible, since I work in retail already. But for gift shopping I like to trawl through stores for hours, mentally cataloguing potential gifts then selecting what I think the recipient/s will actually enjoy/ use best. This year I know exactly what she wants: a Nintendo Switch. I reckon I’ll be trading in the Xbox 360 I hardly use for a Switch.

Jigsaw Pyzzles

No, not really. As a young child I know we had them, and I know we tried them with my daughter when she was young but they never really took.

There was one real exception: a “Where’s Wally?” jigsaw that was a gift to my brothers and I when Wally was all the rage. Double the fun: build a jigsaw, then find Wally! I remember I sat down and assembled it over… a weekend? a week? It took up the whole of the coffee table we had back then, like, a perfect fit. I thought I would get into puzzles after that, but nope.

Yeah, I made a typo there… then I left it ?

Delivery food

Pizza! No, wait, calzones!

No one makes take away calzones. At least I’ve never seen one.

What about a Meat Pie Man? Like an ice-cream man, but meatier. Also more pastry. The tune could be Beethoven’s 5th.

But these days with the rise (and fall) of companies like Foodora, Delivaroo, Uber Eats, everything is home deliverable now. Might as well all put our fat pants on and tuck in!

Kids toys back in the day

I look at what the kids have now… I think about what we had then… it’s the same stuff! Mostly… We had Transformers and Hot Wheels/Matchbox and He-Man and Lego. Now? No He-man. Even Voltron is back in the shops right now, thanks to Netflix.

I think, back then, I really liked the toys that were available. Now, they might be better designed, but they’re basically the same.

Having a daughter gave a slight different perspective: girls toys. Barbie has become more “girl power” than she used to be. Monster High was cool: Monster toys for girls, though still a strong skew towards “fashion and style”.

We had water pistols, cap guns were available (though not in my house). Other than that, your parents threw out of the house to play outside.

Favourite pie filling?

Huh, what’s that? Do you hear that??

PIE MAN!!!

Mum, Mum, the Pie Man!! Can we have a Pie???

I am partial to a Pepper Steak… but if it’s available Bolognese is gonna get me. Or, I’m gonna get it. ?

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Calling the Wolves done 🙂

2018-11-17 11.45.512018-11-17 11.47.22

And started in on a Deathwatch Kill-team

2018-11-17 13.04.18

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@sundancer those kids and their wishes! Those red ring guns, we called cap guns. Not allowed in our house either ? You have good taste in pie/ cake.

@dawfydd if it wasn’t for the last minute, nothing would get done, right? Do you find Christmas shopping on the Eve super-busy or super quiet? I’ve been there, shopping on the day before and felt like I was picking over the wreackage. A buzzard at the scraps.

@querion the same thing happened in my family: gifts for the younger ones. Adults, nope. Puzzle framing is totally a thing though: lots of people do the same! Good choice of toys, but what is old is new again: Transformers are still going strong. Rumours of a reboot of G.I Joe, M.A.S.K. as Hollywood franchise movies mean toys will follow.

@limburger I didn’t think of 40k etc as an option. But then again, I was a kid, and still remember, when Hero Quest and Space Crusade we’re new on the market. Sold in toy shops. Good times. Remember the add for Hero Quest?

Classic!

Apparently one for Space Crusade too, though I don’t recall seeing this high quality commercial on Australian television…

Oh, wow, your choice of pie filling sounds tasty too…

@evilstu no Black Friday for me this year I think… other than what the employer dictates ? seriously though: Boxing Day sales were the thing. Now Black Friday as well. New Year’s Day sales too. It really is stupid. Thoroughly stupid. *sigh* I need to get out of retail.

Mowing the dirt huh?

@horati0nosrbl0wer seasonal shopping done by August??? What kind of crazy, we’ll-organised, thoughtful person does that?!? Running around in the final throws of the season, that’s how any “rational” person does it! ?

@mage Black Friday is the 23rd, this Friday. No one has done a Black Friday thread this year, yet.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

All this talk of ramen… 61D3A2E0-47F3-451D-B7C1-68842A5B9BBA

voidifremoved
    Participant
    669xp

Ooh, I love the 1000 Homo DJs cover of supernaut!

I pledge to finish off at least one model this weekend, and at least one finished before the end of the week.

1.    Seasonal gift shopping – For those of you in regions where it’s a thing do you still bother? If so, have you started yet?

It’s pretty much a slow burn of birthdays and family things for the last few months of the year, so I start shopping in August.

2.    Jigsaw puzzles – have they ever been a thing in your household?

Maybe when both gremlins are beyond the “eat anything that fits” stage…

3.    Name a type of food you wished could just be delivered to your door on demand in the same manner that pizza is.

Chicken livers. Sounds weird, but I love them but the wife hates them, so it’s not something that’s ever in the house.

4.    What kids toy do you wish had been available on the market when you were younger?

One of the gremlins is getting a t-Rex for Xmas that throws other dinosaurs. That’s pretty amazing. Also saw a Nerf gun today that was HUGE. When they’re older, they will probably be getting a whole lot of vicarious projectile toys…

5.    Favourite pie filling?…

Steak and kidney for the savoury option,lemon meringue for the sweet. LOVE lemon meringue pie.

voidifremoved
    Participant
    669xp

Also, random question considering this topic is allowed to be OT, I bought some army painter spray primer and… absolutely botched the miniature I tried it on. What are people’s tips for using the stuff? I’ve been brushing on Vallejo primer since I started (aside from a small window where I could airbrush it on). The only other time I’ve used spray was about 18 years ago with some plastic Eldar and citadel white spray, and that ended up really chalky and gross

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Army painter spray can be tough

What’s the colour? Also did you check the best before date on it?

arkmechanicus
    Participant
    206xp

Hello All!

First time posting on here since the website was re-made a couple of years ago I think?

I’m trying to finish the Fyreslayers for Shadespire this weekend with a stretch goal to assemble Nightvault!

I actually like the Army Painter cans though many seem not to, I usually think I’ve screwed it up immediately after spraying it, but then it seems to shrink as it dries and I get away with it. xD

It’s way too early to be thinking about seasonal shopping!

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@arkmechanicus let me be the first to say welcome to the insane asylum that is the ‘hobby weekender’ 😀

nah, just kidding. We’re all friendly and no one bytes.

@rayzryr I don’t remember seeing any ads, but HQ and SQ definitely were the first games I saw that weren’t the boring boardgames that used to be standard in the pre-Catan era. Also must not forget to mention ‘Shogun’ and ‘Axis and Allies’.

The only problem was that they were too expensive.
    It would eventually result in me buying Advanced Heroquest when I discovered the first real dedicated gaming store.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Asyklum you say?!?!?!?!

Also I had this long response written interacting with everyone and my computer decided to reset itself automatically for status updates. Curses!

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr can depend. Sometimes it’s oddly peaceful, in a Mad Max-wasteland sort of way. Othertimes it can seem like you need riot gear. I  do find though it helps to try & get the big stuff out of the way early so last minute shopping is for incidental stuff 🙂

Anyhoo, hobby:

Put some  work in to this small pack of Grey Hunters. Funnily enough these started out as a Veteran squad for an old White Scars army, then after realising painting white  power armour was a silly  idea morphed into a Grey Slayers pack  for the Eye of Terror campaign, before finally taking this form back when the 5th ed Space Wolves Codex dropped. That’s 20 years from when I started them to beginning painting them today 😀

2018-11-17 17.53.03

and more work on the Deathwatch

2018-11-17 18.03.04

Since there’s a large bloc building with LEGO.. heh heh heh…. I think that I can reveal some wonders associated that I know of.

Brick Journal – a publication that is geared to following LEGO even as AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO)

From Bricks to Bothans – a Star Wars/LEGO enthusiast/geek related site

The Brick Armory – for those of us who like to mod minis you can do the same with LEGO (I think some circuited fool was going to do a mega army paint project, why not go for a 21 unit strong unit of Romans, Spartans, Templars or Crusaders?) @johnlyons They’ve got tanks (a Pz IV or a King Tiger made of plastic bricks might be of interest)

@evilstu definitely a good selection of covers you’ve provided. I will need to find others now.

@limburger Storage space is a premium we all have to deal with when becoming serious hobbyists. The reality of having to contend with moving from time to time lends me to keep minimalist tendencies. A spartan existence for me has only breaks for my love of book collecting, anime and the mini hobby.  Does Amazon present in Dutch when checking it from your ip? If they log in there they can build registries. I build lists but only buy for myself from them

@woldenspoons Sulking sucks but the trade off is risk. With more people there it might be a greater opportunity your models walk off. Chin u, you’ve got other hobbying you can do.

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage well I did only specify steak, so steak & kidney is fair game 😉 But if we’re talking more American style pies then can you really go wrong with classic apple? (well, maybe if you add some berries to it…)

And yes, modern Transformers are amazing! I’m eagerly awaiting when I can start buying them for my niece & nephew 🙂 whilst for the more… mature collector the world is your oyster:

Third party-

2016-04-03 09.18.482016-10-22 17.04.432016-07-02 14.05.232017-11-05 17.39.492018-01-20 21.01.50

Official CHUG

2018-04-22 22.33.412018-11-10 23.23.11

2018-04-12 22.44.172018-04-12 22.48.03

Or the latest lines like war for Ccybertron: Siege or Cyberverse

SiegeCyberverse

Plus the immenent arrival of Bumblebee that looks to hew more to the G1 than Bayverse aesthetic…

…well needless to say it’s a GOOD time to be a TF fan (well, apart from the end of the end of the IDW-verse as it stands)

Oh, and here’s another from belter from those Hu lads

and one of the greatest live performances of all time? quite possibly:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)