Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 16/11/2018 – Back before you can miss it!

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 16/11/2018 – Back before you can miss it!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 103 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • Author

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu : I wish they were spread out, but they’re more like buses.

You wait ages for them to arrive and then several arrive at the same time. I’ve had to confirm my address for the Nerf musket pistol kickstarter. So it is as if December will be kickstarter party time for me 😀

Does anyone know how big/heavy the Carnevale kickstarter is ?
    As per usual there are no details in the tracking mail and I can only guess at the size based on the 2player unboxing.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Fun though – I just had the address confirmation email for the Highlander boardgame from River Horse that should be shipping in the next weeks 🙂

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

sure … but it is kind of annoying when the confirmation sits there for days saying “tomorrow” only to change to ‘not today’ at the last bloody minute.

Anyways … time for something to laugh

I’m sure some people will find it odd to see Doctor House act like that 😉

@dawfydd I’ve wondered about the custom toy markets from HK. I’ve been vaguely aware of the Transformer market by extension of custom vinyl but I didn’t know that the industry was that large. Most of what I’ve otherwise come to know was third party resin kits/figures that varied on quality. PKKing blows me away with his work (and pricetags) as they’re on par with Golden Demon/Crystal brush work. This is all separate from the fine art/custom ball joint doll community, Japanese and Slavic sculptors, which makes my head spin as far as detail.

I’m only now more seriously looking at the garage kits after getting an airbrush and seeing some of the busts that are starting to turn up here on the boards. I’d say that the industry of bust production might have a dent put into it with digital sculpting being internationally ubiquitous. I’ve looked at modellers from Asia that have things on Thingiverse, Shapeways, cadnav.com and cgtrader with interest at getting the files printed. As far as I can see Shapweays seems to be the only service that offers that, granted I’m not doing the deep dive intense search to have custom laser cast resin (I might save up for that). I have an idea on the back burner for a custom base but I have a few steps before I can see it materialized.

• Track down a calligrapher of Arabic to write what I want
    • hire a cg artist to sculpt my concept/fill out the 3D space of the script while adding visible texture (probably with something like Zbrush/Mudbox)
    • Get it all printed and delivered in order to paint

@sundancer I may never see pika the same way again

@rayzryr Your pavers are now complete. The elves can properly hit the road. It pops much  better this way as the elves stand out from the basing.

@querion The blue green wash on you elves works to bring out the subtle marks and musculature. The brown sits really well on the bone color to do the same on the bows giving it the same kind of look as the crenelation seahorses have to their bodies.

A good balance of the overall teal and gold/brown color blocks as well as it pairs from a contrast in cool/warm tones. You might want to look at a red violet for the eel on the base of one of those archers as a triadic compliment.

triad color anlysis

Paletton.com is a quick way to get an idea of where you might want to take your paint. I know its a hell of a lot different from taking a light producing object (monitor) to work with the reflective surface of an object (our minis) but a quick color wheel that you can fool around with on the go doesn’t hurt. Getting the innate sense of color balance is the tricky part if you’re not using a tool like this.

@limburger As with any full game through Kickstarter expect Carnevale to be “Big” and “Heavy” considering the amount of figures/terrain/chits/tokens/errata/kitchen sink that are included in a completely self contained game.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Bombur WIP from earlier today (yesterday) along with complete Greywind (AOSIAF)

View post on imgur.com

Steady Progress with Bifur, Bofur and Bombur (I completed Bombur later that night)

View post on imgur.com

Bombur alone

View post on imgur.com

My friend’s completed Harley Quinn for BMG (Knight Models), her first complete set of anything for a tabletop game. I helped a little but mostly her

View post on imgur.com

Grey Wind from another angle

View post on imgur.com

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Also working on a friend’s keepsake from her passed away mother. It was super faded and I am slowly working away on it. I finished the base, did all the other detail work over the summer. Hooves are next. Then the harness/straps/saddle. Then flowers. Then touch ups. Hopefully it will take less than a week. I have had this thing way too long

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I took a leisurely break drybrushing these

View post on imgur.com

I also did some terrain painting! 🙂

View post on imgur.com

Also working out the cost and logistics of Goblin town…

View post on imgur.com

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I am also working on Radagast and Boba Fett and making nice progress on Bifur and Bofur also.

Also, for anyone curious about the old 100 models basecaoted in 24 hours challenge. Well, since I started that I have completed, yes COMPLETED ENTIRELY 66 models. So 2/3 of the way there. I have a bunch of Orcs and the remainder of Thorin’s Company (and Radagast! 🙂 ) to bring it up to 100 or slightly above!

8) 8) 8)

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good evening gentlemen. Today I will be building the Emperor and his royal guard. Also I will be watching “Age of Tanks” a documentary on Netflix. Maybe that’s something for @johnlyons 😉

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nooooo….. I can’t complete the build…. I’ve got a wrong torso….

IMG_20181121_200400940

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer : you’re sure you didn’t use the wrong torso on another mini within that set ? 😉

@horati0nosebl0wer : big and heavy … hmm yeah, definitely need to get myself a bit of assistance then. I remember the Gloomhaven box *eep*

I need to wait ’till friday before I can get to the pickup.
    No word yet on any other pledges, but with my luck that’ll arrive friday as well.

@mage great job with that keepsake box. Are you using the same paints as for regular miniatures ?

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger yes I am very sure. All the other ones are build correctly 😉

IMG_20181121_200320800

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@limburger I was just thinking of that Red Dwarf scene earlier this week! I was in my car, and I think my car was inspired by Starbug: it’s green, it has got tech (but kind of crap tech) and it actually has quite a decent amount of storage. Haven’t tested how well it handles repeatedly crashing into stuff yet… ?

@horati0nosebl0wer sounds like a very interesting project you have in mind…

Thanks for the input on the base, yes I really think it needed it now that I see it.

@mage busy busy busy!

The dwarves are coming along well and that Wolf is looking great?

Your friend’s work is excellent for a beginner, must’ve had a good teacher.

The brass look on the base of the keepsake is excellent. That’s an interesting project to work on, re-touching the colours on something like that. I imagine there’s a strong emotional connection to an item like that.

Nice terrain, is attached to those bases? It took me a moment, but I realise you’re using dinner plate placemats!  Upside down with the cork base! Is it working out well? I’d thought of doing similar!

@sundancer does it not fit? Can you make it fit? A bit of trimming, creative conversion work, and you’ve got a Guard. Maybe even a unique Guard!

Also, very thematically appropriate: red keyboard lights ?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer : I find your lack of faith disturbing 😉

Those instructions are the bare minimum in detail.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Almost finished another batch of High Elves too. The last of the Archers. Just got to touch up the metals and the bases. 84405189-4434-4812-AA3D-A0DB57B70506D2170E8E-C40C-47B8-8839-004FDCD49F87

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)