Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 19/10/2018 – The Directors Cut Limited Edition Box Set

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 19/10/2018 – The Directors Cut Limited Edition Box Set

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 120 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  torros 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

It is indeed coat d’arms @horati0noebl0wer

Also, @oriskany kudos to putting up all the battle reports and games. So cool!

Quick question for you guys; I want to do an Irish regiment for K47. So, I guess, aside from the Weird War units, Id be going with an Irish regiment (be it North or South) within the British army. How would I research the unfiroms? Or would it all kinda be like the different regiments from different countries in the North African theater where they more or less had the same uniforms/equipment depending on the year/theatre?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I could invent my own and do my own thing too with said Irish K47 army… Hmmm….

oriskany
    60736xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage – as fate would have it, I’ve just plowed through quite a bit of research on Irish regiments in World War I and II.

The research on some of the uniforms and unit insignia are included in the project.

Battle Report Continues – “Coleraine at War” in the Closing Days of World War I

The only real change between WW1 and WWII (I’m assuming WW2 is what you would be going for in K47) would be an update in some of the regiment names for units drawn from northern counties (e.g., Royal Irish Rifles becomes Royal Ulster Rifles after 1921-22, for obvious reasons).

Some candidates would be (WW2 names):

Infantry Regiment:  Royal Ulster Rifles

Infantry Regiment:  Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria’s)

Infantry Regiment:  Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards (more tanks)

Irish Guards (1st Battalion served with 28th Brigade in Tunisia and Italy, 3rd Battalion famously “led by Michael Caine” in A Bridge too Far.  Lots of tanks and mechanized infantry in this one.

For the Royal Ulster Rifles, the black and green shoulder flash would be on the men’s uniforms, along with the silver collar clash somewhere on the collars or vehicles.

Other than that, they are part of British infantry /armor brigades, divisions, and corps … so weapons, equipment, and vehicles (especially in WW2) would be all but identical.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer That would be heresy! Or to put it with other words “I would do anything for upvotes but I won’t do that”

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@torros I’m looking at Napoleonics. Thinking I’d kick off with the 1812 campaign as it’s a period I’m interested in and if I like the scale see where I go from there. Had been looking at Pendraken and a few other sites which I don’t have to hand right now (presently on the way out the door to work…). Open to suggestions and any advice you have with how various manufacturers minis integrate coherently (or otherwise) into a singular army. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

https://pendraken.co.uk/napoleonic/1812-moscow/

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu If you want to go 10mm for Napoleonics Id suggest either Magister Militum or Old Glory as they have the biggest ranges. Personally I would go with Magister Militum as I think there better sculpts. If you prefer 6mm there is either Baccus or Adler. Both are as good as each other for the infantry but I think Adler have better cavalry. As with 10mm you need to make a choice between the strips if Baccus or the single figures of Adler

The Adler artillery and commanders I think are better as well

I should point out Adler can be quite fragile when it comes to bayonets etc

People will say they don’t like the oversized heads on the Adler figures but they look fine on the table

If you really pushed me I would go Adler but tomorrow I might choose Baccus

Hope that helps s bit

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

And off to the next project.

Screenshot_2018-10-25  sundancerge • Instagram-Fotos und -Videos

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu re scale I never go higher than Battalion level gaming in 28mm. One Battalion of 6 bases with 4 men on each base.

For Brigades, Divisions and Corps I’d definitely use 6mm.

I’ve got a project where I painted a 28mm battalion that might be useful if you want to do the French for the later part of the Napoleonic Wars.

Elessar2590’s Grande Armee Project

Choosing a ruleset is the hard part. have you got any in mind or have some things you’re looking for? eg. Base removal/no base removal, Which level of command are you after?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Bases almost done here

4EE88654-DE7E-4A1C-9105-BC16BB977966

@sundancer I will see that response and raise you “Do It!”

@mage Keen work on the bases. Are those flocked with material used in railroading or on sale from Geek Gaming?

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer Stop!

Will not do. I’d rather spend my hobby money on things I want to have 😉

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Wrap up for this thread:

@elessar2590 they are the bases as supplied by Mantic ?

@evilstu hmm, subject of debate on IG-88.

That damn cloud!! But definitely looking forward to a Scum & Villainy faction.

Thanks for running the thread this week!

@mage Your Orcs are looking great ?

@oriskany thank you for the battle report. It has been an engaging read.

Yes, good dogs will do that ?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@horati0nosebl0wer That is just GW sand PVAd one and when dry adding blue ink and drybrushing over the glen-like parts.

@sundancer Never gonna Stop!

@mage Swanky. I’ve been looking at other material for foliage and leaf litter as base detail work will need a variety. I’m thinking I might need a focus to limit the amount of stuff I buy in bulk. making singular pieces to display doesn’t help. I think I’ll do some terrain and either donate it or send it out into the world. *shrug* Who knows.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok team, final post before I wrap up and start posting on the new thread which @mage has kindly kicked off. This week’s winner was @oriskany by a fair ways. Congrats 🙂

Awards as follows:

Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic) – @oriskany
    Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation) – @oriskany
    Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend) – @mage
    Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes) – @mage
    Pun-Tertainment (best pun) most terrible pun?… @horati0nosebl0wer
    Brush Licker (painting & terrain) – @sundancer
    Headliner DJ (most eclectic music) – @querion
    Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports) – @oriskany
    Community Usher (helpful & engaged) – @rayzryr
    Storyteller (weekly discussion & story) @a27cromwell for the instructive narrative behind the KV2 conversion

@torros thanks I might hold off on ordering any substantive quantity of minis until i’ve had a practice go at painting up some 6mm and 10mm samples to see which scale I prefer.

@elessar2590 I was just going to go with Black Powder as a starting rules set and see where I go form that point on.

Thanks everyone for joining in this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)